New 80s Speedmaster arrival...

Following suit with some other nicely descriptive threads, I thought it would be fun to share a bit about a new arrival that just came in. TLDR? Just move to the end for some pictures.

What are we looking at?
Just in time for Speedy Tuesday, this 80s Speedmaster just came in. And whilst it could have been special as a birth year watch, this one isn't. Still, it is pretty special and I'm pleased to have landed it. Can you guess why?

IMG_6116.jpg

If you do... well done! If not, just read on about this rather dirty watch. It came with the original bracelet attached, which was a bit too dirty to look at.

Another hint; these two are both 80s Speedmasters, but there's probably a value difference of 3 to 4x between the two.

IMG_6143.jpg

Yup. The real difference sits is not quite visible from the front of the watch head. The back is a lot more telling.

IMG_6145.jpg

Enough for the guessing game, from here on I'll just be descriptive about what this piece is. I am sure some of you have identified it as a 345.0808 by now and might have noticed the copper coloured movement, which was only used for the first 1000 pieces produced. Whilst these have been on my wish list for a long time, especially for the rather rare 1447/805 bracelet it is sometimes delivered with, I've never been able to justify the corresponding collector pricing (approx. 12k EUR).

Landing this piece
Until this one came along, that is. I found this watch at a small auction house where it was pictured and described almost exactly for what it looks like; a regular 80s Omega Speedmaster in nice condition. To the somewhat trained eye however, it’s rare as could be spotted from the shade of copper on the poorly pictured back, the 1447/805 bracelet and the serial starting with 48169xxx. I couldn't believe to be the only one to find it for what it is, but wagered a lowball absentee bid regardless.
Much to my surprise, I got an email a bit later confirming that I'd left the winning bid. So, with delight I clicked through to settle the bill and arrange for shipping, only to find out the auction house doesn’t ship valuables. Whoops. Long story short; a small yet fun expedition followed. 😁

Part of the package?
Upon collection of the piece, I got quite a lot of documentation. I have to admit that my heart sank when I opened the included warranty papers to find this.
IMG_6117.jpg

Clearly not the correct papers for this Speedmaster. 🙄 Luckily, this turned up a little bit later:
IMG_6118.png
(So, if anyone owns a Seamaster with the serial 36886545 above, let me know, I've got your papers and happy to pass them on.)

Consequently, I've ended up with what is very likely a first-owner watch as the papers of multiple watches are in the same name (and all have been bought and serviced quite near the auction house I've bought this watch at). And even better, not just the warranty, but also the original purchase receipt appeared from the pile. I am sure many of us would have been happy to pay that original price again. 😗

IMG_6151 2.png

What this is all about, a first generation 345.0808 / Copper
A bit of elbow grease on the plexi and a few round trips of the bracelet through the ultrasonic got me to this. I am quite happy! 🥰

IMG_6125.jpg

IMG_6139.jpg

Good to have confirmed this piece bears its LE number between the lugs; probably the only Speedmaster ever to have its LE number both on the case back and between the lugs.
IMG_6141.jpg

Of course, it could be more MINT, it might need original hands as those appear too white and - as this one wasn't delivered to Germany or Austria - the box is rather standard. Still, I've been admiring my wrist a lot today... and not for its hairiness. 😁 A wrist shot follows shortly.

For me, this qualifies as the best auction purchase so far. What's yours?

Oh and show us those 345.808's!

I had one and was resistant to sell it but I did.. got bored during the pandemic and moved a bunch of watches I should have kept
mine as it had been all original... the gent I sold it to had it serviced and omega replaced the handset...
I still want another, rather have original tritium but would concede replacement handset... been tough to find. still kicking myself when I see one come along for a lot more than I traded mine off for...
here is a pic I put together...

1600118335321_apollo_xi.jpg

Following suit with some other nicely descriptive threads, I thought it would be fun to share a bit about a new arrival that just came in. TLDR? Just move to the end for some pictures.

What are we looking at?
Just in time for Speedy Tuesday, this 80s Speedmaster just came in. And whilst it could have been special as a birth year watch, this one isn't. Still, it is pretty special and I'm pleased to have landed it. Can you guess why?

IMG_6116.jpg

If you do... well done! If not, just read on about this rather dirty watch. It came with the original bracelet attached, which was a bit too dirty to look at.

Another hint; these two are both 80s Speedmasters, but there's probably a value difference of 3 to 4x between the two.

IMG_6143.jpg

Yup. The real difference sits is not quite visible from the front of the watch head. The back is a lot more telling.

IMG_6145.jpg

Enough for the guessing game, from here on I'll just be descriptive about what this piece is. I am sure some of you have identified it as a 345.0808 by now and might have noticed the copper coloured movement, which was only used for the first 1000 pieces produced. Whilst these have been on my wish list for a long time, especially for the rather rare 1447/805 bracelet it is sometimes delivered with, I've never been able to justify the corresponding collector pricing (approx. 12k EUR).

Landing this piece
Until this one came along, that is. I found this watch at a small auction house where it was pictured and described almost exactly for what it looks like; a regular 80s Omega Speedmaster in nice condition. To the somewhat trained eye however, it’s rare as could be spotted from the shade of copper on the poorly pictured back, the 1447/805 bracelet and the serial starting with 48169xxx. I couldn't believe to be the only one to find it for what it is, but wagered a lowball absentee bid regardless.
Much to my surprise, I got an email a bit later confirming that I'd left the winning bid. So, with delight I clicked through to settle the bill and arrange for shipping, only to find out the auction house doesn’t ship valuables. Whoops. Long story short; a small yet fun expedition followed. 😁

Part of the package?
Upon collection of the piece, I got quite a lot of documentation. I have to admit that my heart sank when I opened the included warranty papers to find this.
IMG_6117.jpg

Clearly not the correct papers for this Speedmaster. 🙄 Luckily, this turned up a little bit later:
IMG_6118.png
(So, if anyone owns a Seamaster with the serial 36886545 above, let me know, I've got your papers and happy to pass them on.)

Consequently, I've ended up with what is very likely a first-owner watch as the papers of multiple watches are in the same name (and all have been bought and serviced quite near the auction house I've bought this watch at). And even better, not just the warranty, but also the original purchase receipt appeared from the pile. I am sure many of us would have been happy to pay that original price again. 😗

IMG_6151 2.png

What this is all about, a first generation 345.0808 / Copper
A bit of elbow grease on the plexi and a few round trips of the bracelet through the ultrasonic got me to this. I am quite happy! 🥰

IMG_6125.jpg

IMG_6139.jpg

Good to have confirmed this piece bears its LE number between the lugs; probably the only Speedmaster ever to have its LE number both on the case back and between the lugs.
IMG_6141.jpg

Of course, it could be more MINT, it might need original hands as those appear too white and - as this one wasn't delivered to Germany or Austria - the box is rather standard. Still, I've been admiring my wrist a lot today... and not for its hairiness. 😁 A wrist shot follows shortly.

For me, this qualifies as the best auction purchase so far. What's yours?

Oh and show us those 345.808's!
Congratulations, well found sir.

Hard to picture the copper plated movement. Here’s an attempt. And MWO’s next to it, admittedly a lot better!

IMG_6144.jpeg

IMG_6147.jpeg

Congrats, great set! Very nice to read posts like this, thanks for sharing! 👍

Excellent pick up! I look forward to one day being able to see this in person 😀 And if no one else has said it, dibs! You know, as a fellow 80's baby 😎

Thanks for sharing!
Finding the watch, doing the research/assessment about this watch,
placing your bid (and holding your breath…😵‍💫),
winning the bid (with a big smile) -
that journey is very exciting!
And an extra bonus with the pickup...😁

Congrats on an amazing and special watch!
Edited:

Congratulations for the fantastic find and many thanks for the educational writeup.

Great great story... Mine was not so fun... And probably much more expensive....😲 (ok, it's a real time capsule...)
My copper says hi!
20231008_085152.jpg
Edited:

Lovely watch and a great find !! Congratulations and wear it with pride.

The real difference sits is not quite visible from the front of the watch head.
That's exactly why I appreciate this ref.
It just looks like a normal moonwatch... 😁