Forums Latest Members

Need second opinions for my Constellation purchase.

1. unxsr Jul 19, 2022

Hello. I need some second opinions for my new purchase.

I purchased a grey c-case Constellation but the watch was not exactly as described in the listing. I asked for a refund right away and the seller accepted. Now that the watch is packed and ready to ship tomorrow morning, I’m having second thoughts if it was a good deal after all even with its flaws..

Issues I knew before receiving was the incorrect crown, polished case, and missing lume pips.

Issues I found out after receiving was the scratched case, day function not changing at 12 o’clock (but changes at 3 o’clock), and scratches on the dial. The watch also stopped twice within my possession, which was only a day, but I was assuming it would need a service anyway.

I paid around $600 USD for this.

Did I make the right decision on returning this?

IMG_1737.jpeg IMG_1726.jpeg IMG_1743.jpeg IMG_1745.jpeg IMG_1732.jpeg IMG_1731.jpeg Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 12.34.07 PM.png
    Waltesefalcon and Spruce like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2022

At that price I think the grey dial with coin edge bezel is a pretty decent deal even with those caveats but ultimately it has to be a matter of does it look good on you and do you enjoy it

nicks, Maybe, unxsr and 1 other person like this.
  3. masteroftime Jul 19, 2022

I agree with @dsio. Honestly, it doesn't seem too bad.

The case is polished/refinished but seemingly not incorrectly (from the limited photos). I'm not sure the crown is actually incorrect. I'm sure @kaplan would know. It was my understanding that early C-cases came with these types of crowns and sometimes dauphine hands. This is obviously a later example, so I assume it probably still wouldn't have had it originally, but I suspect it isn't totally incorrect.

Regarding the other Issues you noticed:
    - The day function changing later is very common in my experience with about seven (7) Cal. 751/752. This can be adjusted during service and most of the ones I've had change much before or later than midnight.
    - I would expect a random vintage watch to need a service, especially at the $600 price point. I have sold a few C-cases with coin-edge, gold bezels for much more. Frankly, these grey dial C-cases are Very popular, sought after, and sell for a premium. Most of the ones I've seen have some condition issues like flaking lacquer, which this doesn't seem to have.
    - The scratches between the lug holes are the only ones I see. It is annoying that they're there but I wouldn't consider it a dealbreaker if you like the watch and intend to wear the watch on a bracelet as they would not be visible. A Leather strap could be a different story, but I still wouldn't imagine it being too visible. Some level of wear between the lugs on a watch like this which often came on a bracelet is to be expected
    - For me, The dial issues would be the most annoying as I don't consider that easily replaceable. I guess it depends how much the missing lume and those scratches bother you when on your wrist. The scratches don't seem super bad to me, but I don't have the watch in front of me and that is a judgment you have to make.

For $600, I think it is a decent deal. If you like the grey dial and coin edge bezel, you'd have a tough time finding another at that price point in similar condition. Depending on market conditions, I would expect a much nicer one to run you at least 50% more.

Edited Jul 19, 2022
    watchyouwant and unxsr like this.
  4. unxsr Jul 19, 2022

Thanks for the response. I think I'm still thinking about it even when it's packed because I enjoyed it a lot.
    Here's a photo with a temporary strap.

IMG_1790.jpg
    Spruce likes this.
  5. unxsr Jul 19, 2022

Thanks for your response @masteroftime.

I've spoken with @kaplan already but I feel like I'm already attached to this watch that I had to ask the thread once again before sending the watch back. The "issues" I've mentioned does bother me but maybe it's something I shouldn't overthink.

6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 19, 2022

Those scratches look like they have rust pits.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2022

If I had to guess I’d blame a twist-o-flex for that at the endlinks, especially given the positioning, I’ve had a couple like that from them

8. BarbVl Jul 20, 2022

I also like the watch and i think the price it's fair..

9. bardamu Jul 20, 2022

Do you like it? Do you enjoy it? Keep it, have it serviced and wear in good health! :)

10. Engee Jul 20, 2022

I think I know how you feel. The undisclosed nature of some problems mean the watch feels like a disappointing purchase regardless of whether it’s a good price. I would feel a bit duped by the seller and that would influence my feelings if it were me buying.

The service you always intended will take care of some of the issues.

When all that is stripped out of the equation I’d be left wondering about the scratches on the dial and case. Personally I’m not sure I’d be able to get past those issues even though it seems like a good price, but given the popularity of these watches I reckon you’d at least get your money back if you wanted to move it on in a year's time.

unxsr, kyle L and perks713 like this.
  11. unxsr Jul 20, 2022

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I've decided to keep it.
    Reopening the package again and it feels like I just bought another watch.

ghce, nicks and Engee like this.
  12. Dan S Jul 20, 2022

That appears to be pitting/corrosion between the lugs, not scratches. I'm not sure I'm seeing the scratches you mentioned on the dial, but that would be my biggest concern.

13. unxsr Jul 20, 2022

Yes, I think they are corrosions and I think someone tried to cover it up by scratching it.

14. ghce Jul 22, 2022

For all of its minor annoyances that price is very attractive ( extremely) and of course you must remember it is a vintage watch, what would you rather have an over polished and doctored to look new or something that reflects it age and I must say its very presentable indeed.
    I think keeping it was the right choice, I would have.

Congrats on a nice watch!

unxsr likes this.
  15. kaplan Jul 22, 2022

This is such a beautiful design that it can overcome all the flaws, I guess it's a good candidate for a future case restoration, would've been nice if the dial was left untouched though, overall I'm very sad it came with so many surprises

unxsr likes this.
  16. unxsr Jul 22, 2022

It was impossible to know with the listing photos. Thanks again for everything.

17. ajg1960 Jul 23, 2022

I think it’s a nice looking Omega. I would keep it.

18. Bourne1984 Jul 27, 2022

With the price of watches at present I think so. I would probably have paid that if I was in the country of sale.

19. malilis Jul 27, 2022

Keep it !