Forums Latest Members

Need help with a price estimation, please & thankyou

1. Chefguy831 Jan 31, 2023

Hey guys.

I'm so glad I've found this forum, I was going crazy looking for some information on a watch I've found and really love.

Also worth mentioning that it will be my 1st watch purchase, so im excited to start my collection, but also happy to wait for the right piece.

The watch in question is an Omega Seamaster 1956 case # 2846-2848 and what I believe is 1SC

I love the look of this watch, love the vintage look, really enjoy the crocodile skin, but what I love most is the slight patina.

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of price for such a watch? It's currently on an auction site, the reserve has Screenshot_20230131-223354_Trade Me.jpg n't been met, however the seller is going to contact me at the end of the auction. When they do I'm hoping that I can have a good idea of a reasonable price so that I'm not caught off guard/ripped off.

Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for this forum!!

Screenshot_20230131-223332_Trade Me.jpg Screenshot_20230131-223344_Trade Me.jpg Screenshot_20230131-223349_Trade Me.jpg Screenshot_20230131-223401_Trade Me.jpg Screenshot_20230131-223413_Trade Me.jpg
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 31, 2023

It’s a 2846, the case is used on 2 models, SC indicates the centre second model like this. A very early one judging by the low 55m serial. Being a gold capped one it is the least desirable of the 3 metal options ( gold cap, steel, solid gold in that order but opinions differ) but as long as the cap is intact and not damaged it looks good. The dial seems fully original with a little light patina. The movement looks pretty clean but there is a lot of what looks like either crud/degraded gasket or corrosion around the caseback so I'd be careful there. If the former, it probably hasn't been serviced in decades (mentally add ~£200/$250 to sort this) despite any claims to the contrary by the seller, if the latter you'll never get it waterproof, admittedly not really a big issue with a near 70 year old watch, but may be suggestive of other nasties. Of the 2 options I'd much prefer unserviced and covered in crud/gasket as that can be remedied.

Factoring a service, I'd want that at no more than £500/$600 personally but the ultimate fair price would depend on how healthy it is (with proof) and whether the seller is professional or a just a regular collector. These are not all that rare so if the price is steep, walk away and keep looking.

Here are a couple of mine, one steel and one solid gold, note the dial similarity of the gold one with the one you post.

tempImagel6AcJ1.png
    IMG_2439.JPG

Edited Jan 31, 2023
    DrIon and bardamu like this.
  3. Chefguy831 Jan 31, 2023

Wow thanks so much for the response, this was exactly the kind in information I was looking for.

I totally see the similarities in the dial of ypur watch and the one im looking at, im kind of overwhelmed by the amount of information to trawl through, but this forum will certainly help alot!!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, hope you have a great week!