Forums Latest Members

Need advice to plan shipping from the uk to France

1. Dsplash Dec 18, 2020

Hi all!

i bought a watch at auction in the uk while I live in France. I need to organize the pickup at their address to have it delivered to me (they told me it would probably be faster than their shipping partner Mail Boxes).
    I planned to use dhl as I recently got a package from the uk with their services without problem...But as this one is of significantly higher value, I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be best to use a 3rd party insurance to hide the value from the label as many sellers seem to do but as it’s a first for me, any advice on the best way/shipping company/insurance would be highly appreciated!

thanks!!

2. Davidt Dec 19, 2020

An idea of total value is needed here.

3. Dsplash Dec 19, 2020

Of course, sorry! It’s 11k€
    Interesting fact about this, it seems the shipping insurance goes up at once over 10k. For this example, I got a 165€ Quote for a 10k valuation and a 325€ at 11k...

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 19, 2020

$11k€ (that’s 17k Australian) I would be driving across :whistling:

ZIELSZIEK likes this.
  5. LesXL Dec 19, 2020

I believe Covid lockdown will make that difficult at this moment.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with insurances, but if they can hold it for a couple of months, indeed a weekend to London (post hard Brexit) could be nice, and probably for similar cost.

6. Dsplash Dec 19, 2020

I would be too had the situation been different!:unsure:
    Waiting months is also not thinkable :D

I know it would work with DHL, or any similar service I guess...My main concern is wether I should insure it with the carrier or use a third party. In this case, customs are not the matter (yet!), it’s more a question of wether there is a risk of theft if the visible value is the real one...

7. Davidt Dec 19, 2020

DHL won't insure that amount.

I use ParcelPro as third party insurer although I don't believe they are currently taking on new private accounts.

I've heard other members mention 'Serceus'? There's a whole thread on OF around shipping and third party insurance.

8. Dries Dec 19, 2020

I wouldn't know about the insurance but the way things are going now I would make sure you ship well before the 31st. I am following things closely from Brussels and pronostics here are leaning towards no deal. So in your place I wouldn't want to expose myself to import duties and TVA on 11k, nor would I want my parcel to get stuck somewhere in the ensueing chaos. Hope things will work out.

9. ChrisN Dec 19, 2020

If I'm reading this correctly, the auction house will ship it to you and until you receive it, it will be their responsibility. Unless you must have the watch now, I would take that option as it will be the easiest and the most secure for you.

It's surprising that they are not offering you a price for a faster delivery service. Have you tried proposing that to them?

Good luck, Chris

10. Dsplash Dec 24, 2020

Hey!
    In the end, I used boxtal that compares main shipping companies and allows for a 3rd party insurance. I went with DHL and it worked like a charm, delivered in 48h without any trouble from the closed borders!
    And no need for a professional account, so it was quite the good surprise!

thanks for the help :)

11. YY77 Dec 24, 2020

Care to enrich your thread with pics of the watch now you have it in hand?::popcorn::

Edited Dec 24, 2020
  12. Dsplash Dec 24, 2020

Davidt, Dries and YY77 like this.