Forums Latest Members

Shipping an Omega from the UK to the USofA... How? Best?

1. msp1518 Feb 5, 2015

I just shipped a watch to the UK via USPS Registered Mail. "Time piece for repair" was listed on the custom form. All seems to be going well. I sent my SM300 to Archer in Canada that way and it arrived a-okay.

Now I am looking to buy a watch from a gent (and fellow forum member) but am wondering the best way to securely have the watch sent to me in North Carolina without it... A. Being Stolen... and B. Paying a big customs fee.

I've no experience at this, but have read Fed-Ex, UPS and DHL will gauge and murder you with fees and pretty much hold a watch hostage.

Advise? ::confused2::

2. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 5, 2015

Repeat the success from earlier.
    It is also my personal favorite method for much the same reasons.

Waynepjr likes this.
  3. msp1518 Feb 5, 2015

It looks like it's the best option. I just wanted to hear from some who ship out of the UK.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 5, 2015

USPS Express Mail International is probably the quickest method. Registered Mail is much slower, but more secure.

I don't think either will insure jewelry or watches over a certain amount ($500, but don't quote me on that). So you need to find an outside company that will insure the shipment or trust USPS and Royal Mail to do their jobs.

The private couriers don't insure either.
    gatorcpa

5. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 5, 2015

From the UK the USPS equivalent will be Royal Mail. Their international "signed for" service has never let me down.
    Forget insurance if it is not a very expensive piece. In that case I would consider other options, including added insurance (expensive!).
    Cheers!

6. msp1518 Feb 5, 2015

1400 is a lot of money to me. :eek:

7. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 5, 2015

Agreed ;)
    But it is borderline in terms of what to do.

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 5, 2015

A lot of small print reading and you find that the likes of Parcelforce in the UK don't insure watches. Post office staff will often accept an item through lack of knowlege and charge for insurance but in the event of trouble you are on your own.

9. msp1518 Feb 5, 2015

From what I see it isn't possible to insure the watch. Watches and jewelry are just excluded.

10. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 5, 2015

Best insurance is to declare low and defective/for parts.
    Or have it picked up and delivered by someone you trust.

11. bill5959 Feb 5, 2015

I can't vouch for this, but I got one labeled gift and all was well. The damn auction houses register for customs. What a way to invite an audit!

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 5, 2015

I've had watches fully declared using EMS to USPS and arrive here without a customs charge.

The auction houses always use a private courier service, as they probably get a big reduction in fees over mere mortals like us. They insure separately, outside of the private service, and always fully declare.

The governments are all over the auctioneers, and they would be nailed to the wall if they didn't ship "by the book".
    gatorcpa

13. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 5, 2015

This is my experience as well, have yet to pay any customs charges.

Last year had a shipment from Italy with a declared value >$4000 did not attract a customs charge.

Not sure why & I am not going to ask.

14. CdnWatchDoc Feb 6, 2015

Consider asking an OF member who travels between the 2 countries to be your courier; it has been done by a few esteemed members in the past. I have asked my family members to pick up pieces from the US to come here to Canada without any problems; I expect overseas to be pretty much the same.

15. msp1518 Feb 8, 2015

It's going to ship Monday via the UK';s version of Registered mail, declared as "Watch returned for repair." Seems like my best choice.

16. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 9, 2015

Get the word Defective in there. It makes it sound too much work to steal.
    Good luck!

17. msp1518 Feb 9, 2015

Too late. It shipped today. :) Hopefully it'll be a-okay.,

The 1441 quartz I sold week before last arrived this morning to the UK buyer. No duty or fees. So he is thrilled. I hope i have the same luck with my purchase and delivery.

18. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 9, 2015

So do I Matt!