Forums Latest Members

My Speedy 3861 gains 4+ secs a day

1. Seti_i May 1, 2022

I got a new Speedmaster 3861 Sapphire which is gaining 4.5 + seconds per day. In the METAS certification test the result for my watch is 3.2. Does anybody know if this is normal or the possible cause? At the same time I also got a Seiko Samurai King that is in the +-1 seconds per day range for less than 1/10 the money which is very frustrating.

2. Dan S May 1, 2022

Congrats, it sounds like you are within METAS standards. Timekeeping will vary a bit in different positions and conditions, so it all sounds fine to me. Welcome to OF, enjoy your watches, and save your frustration for things that matter. :thumbsup:

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 1, 2022

+4.5 is fine, and within spec. There is accuracy and regulation, accuracy is how consistent it is, so a watch that is +4.5 every day is more accurate than a watch that is +1 one day and -1 another. Regulation is effectively the offset, and can be easily adjusted but to meet Omegas standards is cannot be negative and must be positive. This is because a watch that is fast can easily be corrected once every week or two by simply hacking it until it matches atomic time again, while a watch that is slow has to be set forward by a minute or more before then hacking, which is a slower and more frustrating process.

noelekal, Raym0016, rob#1 and 3 others like this.
  4. Doc Olives May 1, 2022

It is in the standards, but I also hear you that it’s a brand new watch with Chronometre+ standards, and you were expecting a little more. Been there…

If it really bothers you, I would try to find a position that the watch loses time in, and just store it in that position overnight. Could be you end up at +/- 0 if you find the right position :thumbsup:

chipotlefire and Seti_i like this.
  5. Seti_i May 1, 2022

Wise words
    Wise words. Thanks.

SpikiSpikester and Dan S like this.
  6. Seti_i May 1, 2022

Thanks for your advise.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  7. Seti_i May 1, 2022

Thanks, I have not seen it from that perspective.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 1, 2022

Welcome to the forum though mate and congrats on the new watch, any pics?

Seti_i, cvalue13 and Dan S like this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 1, 2022

Try keeping it in a different position overnight and you should be able to get it close to zero.

Seti_i likes this.
  10. justacpa May 1, 2022

My Apollo 11 50th runs +2 secs per day. I'm happy with that.

Seti_i likes this.
  11. Seti_i May 2, 2022

20220430_182206.jpg 20220426_112405.jpg
  12. Seti_i May 2, 2022

Yes, I've kept it horizontal for more than seven hours now and no gain yet. :). Thanks for the advice.

13. KnoP May 2, 2022

As i read it sometima and it fits this topic: any iOS apps for a quick and dirts check of the accuracy?
    Best wishes

Seti_i likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 2, 2022

4 seconds every 86400 a day is pretty impressive :thumbsup:

GT_Aventus, Om3ga321, rob#1 and 4 others like this.
  15. Raym0016 May 4, 2022

Sometimes if after a while, a movement settles in a bit. I have come to the belief that I prefer a new watch to be a little faster (+1 to +4 SPD) becuase as the movement settles in, in my experience, the movement usually slows down slightly when it breaks in a bit.

Seti_i likes this.
  16. Seti_i May 4, 2022

Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is my first Omega. I think that will be the case.

17. YY77 May 4, 2022

chipotlefire and Leviathan like this.
  18. Daren Matthews May 18, 2022

I recently bought a Speedmaster 3861 Sapphire Sandwich. I looked at the METAS results (which I attach here). The average daily precision was measured at 3.6 seconds per day. So naturally I tried to measure it.

I synchronized the watch to internet "exact time" using the seconds hacking (wonderful) and then logged the time variance over three days, using the stopwatch to measure how many seconds it had gained. It seemed to be over 6 seconds per day. The METAS "golden ticket" is +5 seconds so I was a bit disappointed. I thought to myself that having spent the best part of seven thousand pounds it was typical that the watch that I bought was "out of whack", as they say.

I saw that in the USA, Omega offer a free "calibration" service so I emailed them to ask if this was available in the UK. The reply was that I should take it to an Omega Boutique (a.k.a "shop") and that they would examine and rectify any problem. I read more online and learned about the fact that you need to measure in different positions and store overnight in a particular way before getting a real "average" measurement.

So here we are now - before I bought the watch I was a normal person. Now I am panicking over a couple of seconds of my new watch and am googling and purchasing a timegrapher. To get some more accurate measurements and see if my 3861 is actually within METAS parameters.

I would be happy (after spending nearly £7000 for this watch) with say, +3.5 to 4 seconds - so let's see what happens. The time grapher arrives tomorrow. Watch this space (no pun intended).

4011021 likes this.
  19. Daren Matthews May 18, 2022

Sorry - couldn't attach results as an image

20. YY77 May 18, 2022

Is that time grapher actually capable to measure a co-axial movement?

Fully winding the watch daily at the same time and laying the watch away for 24 hours in every position gives me a result in 6 days time what the average gain/loss is.

cvalue13 likes this.