Forums Latest Members

Faint Scratch on My Speedy 3222.80.00

1. ninjamattic Jun 28, 2018

View attachment 584816 Hi All,
    I fulfilled a dream a couple of days ago, and put away the Apple Watch for my first Omega. I bought it pre-owned, so it was pretty cheap. The model is about 10 years old best I can gather. While I expected some bumps and wear from being previously loved, today I discovered a very small line in the crystal. I tried cleaning the sapphire, but it didn’t go away. It’s not an actual gouge because I can’t get a fingernail or anything in it. I’ve done some reading, and it seems possible that the anti-reflective coating, which is much less durable than the crystal, might have gotten a scratch before it got to me. In the photo it’s to the right of the 1:00 position of the bottom dial. It’s only viable in some lighting conditions, which lends toward the thought that it’s rhe A/R coating. Do you know if this model has the outside coating? The spec sheet isn’t clear. Is it likely an issue that could be fixed by removing said coating? I’m gonna try and live with it before using my extended warranty. Just wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks for letting me be a part of this forum!

2. Dan S Jun 28, 2018

I can't see it. Try not to obsess over it and don't mess around with the crystal ... you'll likely just make things worse. Who worries about a nearly invisible scratch on the crystal of a 10-year old watch?

connieseamaster and Foo2rama like this.
  3. ninjamattic Jun 28, 2018

Someone who’s just a little too OCD . I agree though. I’m not gonna waste any energy on it. I’ll have the crystal replaced when I get it serviced a few years from now.

Dan S likes this.
  4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 28, 2018

Google "wabi sabi".

connieseamaster likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 28, 2018

Ya those old jeans you just love ... or those old tennis shoes, or that old leather jacket?

6. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 28, 2018

You don't have to replace that crystal; shouldn't any watchmaker be able to buff the scratch out? Totally depends on how much that scratch in the crystal bothers you (it is your watch, and your preferences, so do what makes you happy).

ninjamattic likes this.
  7. kkt Jun 29, 2018

I wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't posted where to look. If it was my watch, I'd just ignore it. If you wear it it will pick up minor scratches. Hope they're all this small.

8. ninjamattic Jun 29, 2018

I bought it to wear every day, so I suppose I need to just get used to the fact that it's going to show wear over time. I can always have it polished if it picks up too many scratches to the A/R coating over time. I really do appreciate all the responses :).

9. staristheanswer Jun 29, 2018

I see nothing.I zoomed the pic and nothing again.
    I have some big scratches on my Zenith and I really do not mind.