My recently purchased Seamaster 166.003 possible redial?

Hi all!

I recently purchased this 166.003 which I really love.

I got it at the great price of $180 USD and it's in fantastic condition. I'm super happy with it so if you answer 'yes' to the question 'is this a redial?' I won't be too fussed but I am slightly curious as the dial just seems too perfect...

Would love to know your thoughts, opinions.
Thanks in advance,
Matt

At first glance it looks good but I’d expect to see ‘Swiss Made T’ on these mid-late 60’s gilt dials.
What’s the serial number?

It just has 'Swiss Made' no T (attached a better photo) but I thought that the T implied luminance which this watch doesn't have. Serial is 2429XXXX

To me it looks like the hour markers are inlaid with lume like on my 166.010 below.

It’s a different reference but in my experience the 166.010, 166.002 and 166.003 with these gilt, gloss black dials usually have makers with the inlaid lume.

411E12D1-07F9-4705-ABB9-42F986BC9E16.jpeg

Looks like a nice original no lume dial.

Some of these have very fine striations on the center facets.

Thanks @Davidt . I've taken a close up shot and they don't seem to be lumed. Just a solid steel bar (check photo). Thanks for your responses by the way, I really appreciate them.

I'm definitely not as experienced with examining dials as many others here, but it looks good to me. The text is clean and sharp, and the font is correct. The minute markers are all consistent with each other in length, sharpness, and distance. It looks like a nice, original dial to me.

It looks promising to me. You could take a look at the text and minute track under a loupe. If it's an original gilt dial, the base metal of the dial should show through.

Looks legit to me. If it were a redial this good, the seller's asking would have an extra digit at the end. At $180, the watch would be a bargain in that condition even without a gilt dial.

At that price it surely worth a chance, and it seems like you have scored!

Looks like luminous on the markers. A cheap UV light would confirm (maybe even a flashlight and a dark room). I see no luminous in the hands, so that’s an issue which would make me question the dial as well. Regardless, a score at $180
IMG_0378.jpeg

Nice one, IMO. Clearly gilt and not painted as the reflection of the phone taking the photo makes it difficult to see the text and minutes track between 6 and 8 in the first photo. I don't think that would happen if they were painted. Not to say that gilt implies original, but if there are convincing gilt redials, I haven't seen them. The most important question is, where on earth did you find that for $180??

The most important question is, where on earth did you find that for $180??

Japan, the level of quality vintage watches at reasonable prices in that country is absurd. I guess it has a lot to do with the Japanese approach to property, people and personal responsibility. I have sourced half my watch collection through Japan and never had a bad experience... you do need to know what you're looking for though as despite what I've said above the place seems to be swimming in fake vintage Seamaster 300s

So the hands seem to have been replaced (and show oxidation), but everyone thinks the flawless dial is original? Color me skeptical

So the hands seem to have been replaced (and show oxidation), but everyone thinks the flawless dial is original? Color me skeptical

You're looking for something that simply isn't there (lume).

Honestly @mrbreen I can't see any lume (see image) I think @X350 XJR is right, which would make the hands original or at least fitting. Thanks for all your replies 😀
Edited:

Looks like luminous on the markers. A cheap UV light would confirm (maybe even a flashlight and a dark room). I see no luminous in the hands, so that’s an issue which would make me question the dial as well. Regardless, a score at $180
IMG_0378.jpeg
Look at OP post just above the markers are steel no lume

All good @mrbreen , made me look harder, and I learnt something (that lume can also be inlaid), thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

I would say from my experience that is is original. The gilt text looks perfect to me.