Forums Latest Members

Help needed for my newly purchased Seamaster (Geneve?)

1. Ozawa Apr 27, 2018

Hey everyone from OF,

I'm pretty new into this world of vintage watches, having been checking listings on Ebay, chrono24, Yahoo Japan Auction site, doing research on WUS, OF, official Omega Vintage site, Google for the last two months. While searching for an Omega as my first vintage watch, this Universal Geneve FS came up and I thought it would be a good start for my newly developed love about vintage watches:
    IMG_20180421_133121.jpg
    I love wearing this little piece and it's been keeping great time since.

Back to the topic. After this purchase, I found myself still wanting to get an Omega. So I made offer on one I'd been watching on Ebay for quite some time and the seller accepted my $600 offer:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-OMEGA-AUTOMATIC-Cal-565-GENEVE-SEAMASTER-1960s-Original-BOX-Swiss-Made/163008399900?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    (better post the link instead of photos for easier zooming and other info).

Then I realized after checking OF for so many times, I've not registered to be able to ask my own question or one day offer my help yet. Ok...I know I should have posted beforehand, but what do you guys think of this watch? Is it legit? Is it a fair price? What should be specifically taken care of after I receive it?

Prior to purchasing, the research I did about this watch includes checking on Omega Vintage site:
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-st-166-0002
    The model does belong to Seamaster collection with Geneve on the dial, but I don't see same hands nor same dial, plus there is lume on the one I purchased against no lume on the one in Omega database.

Thanks!

Edited Apr 27, 2018
    GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  2. lillatroll Apr 27, 2018

Hello and Welcome.

Up to 1965 the 166.002 had a 562 movement. Then they started using the 565 movement. Up to 1967 the dial had both Seamaster/Geneve and from 1967 onwards only Geneve. If you type in Geneve 166.002 1967 then you will find other examples of your watch for comparison purposes.

pmontoyap, Dan S and JimInOz like this.
  3. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Apr 28, 2018

Here's my 565 in a 166 041 case.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. lillatroll Apr 28, 2018

Do you have a picture of the movement itself? It might help the OP compare condition/ wear and colour/finish of the parts.

5. Ozawa Apr 28, 2018

Thanks for your help! To be specific with the year, I finally found some models with dials like mine, especially with crosshair. Though, I have not seen any of them with the tails of the minutes and hours hands cross the central point like the one I purchased (If you could understand, please forgive my English). Further, I found this configuration of hands exists mostly on some Seamaster Cosmic models like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-SEAM...825931?hash=item33e8e79fcb:g:2AwAAOSwns1a4wmIPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    and this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Om...246350?hash=item41e07e470e:g:xUsAAOSwjX1at6wfPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Now I'm becoming a little concerned about my purchase, hope I'm just worrying too much...

6. lillatroll Apr 28, 2018

If you have some concerns about the watch then let the seller know and ask for a refund or proof that all the parts are original to the watch refrence.( I doubt he will be able to provide this) If you are lucky enough to get a refund, ask first before buying anything, if no refund then you can just put it down to experience, you will also have paid your noob tax :)

7. Davidt Apr 28, 2018

I don't recall ever seeing this dial/hand combination with this case, but it's possible. The dial does look original as well.

However, these later Geneves are usually good value and I think that's too expensive given the condition of the dial and the fact the movement will likely need a service.

8. Ozawa Apr 28, 2018

Hmmm...The problem now is that I may never be sure about the originality of it. Yes I should have ask before acting, but I did not notice this and was so sure about it...Noobs

9. Ozawa Apr 28, 2018

Thanks! I'm thinking, If I could manage to find hands from a more common combination like this:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/sea...n-help-with-first-vintage-omega-please.39701/
    would that be wise to swap them?

10. Davidt Apr 28, 2018

I’d look to return the watch if possible. I dont these models, especially the condition of this one, warrant much effort. Given the condition of the dial, I’d want it to be complete and serviced to make it a hassle free purchase. Otherwise I’d wait for a better one.

11. Ozawa Apr 28, 2018

Guess so...a rush of blood before I made offer on this watch. Thought I did enough research on it. Lesson learned

12. Ozawa Apr 28, 2018

The seller just replied me that everything on this watch is original. Does that mean everything of the watch has not been touched since day one? Or everything is originally from Omega but has been recombined together? Or it just means nothing?

13. Edward53 Apr 28, 2018

The watch looks all original to me, by which I mean that all the parts look as if they belong to this watch. The watch was a bit on the expensive side but not horribly so. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

14. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Apr 28, 2018

Absolutely:)

8EC2F198-D9EB-4BA6-AD62-56F7C1180633.jpeg F3B75473-544D-4E5B-92D2-2A0A27D3D386.jpeg

15. Ozawa Apr 28, 2018

Hi, thanks for posting your movement photos! I'm actually watching a same 166.041 model on Ebay. May I ask when was yours last serviced? Cheers!

16. Ozawa Apr 28, 2018

Thanks for your reply, now I'm looking forward to it. Once I get the watch, will update with some photos taken by myself:D
    Thank you guys!

17. Rodchop09 Apr 28, 2018

Hi the hands and the dial have aged the same together, I really don't think you have any worries

18. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Apr 29, 2018

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I have never had it serviced and doubt that the previous private owner did (otherwise) the inside case might look a little less grungy.
    I intended getting it serviced and cleaned but it's been working so accurately and efficiently since I got it that I haven't yet.

19. Ozawa Apr 29, 2018

I'll probably depend only on how it works after receiving it...I have no clue when I'm supposed to have it serviced. Assume if it runs accurately it's OK to wait? Or once it runs with problem the damage is already done?