My - learning - experience buying a Speedmaster 145.012

Dear OF

This will be a longer post with lots of pictures, apologies in advance.

I'd like to share my recent learning experience buying a vintage Speedmaster Pro 145.012 on local auction site. As the title implies, I'm not an expert and had to consult several seasoned Speedy collectors before bidding on the auction. The great thing about OF is, once you've done your homework i.e. prior research yourself, more experienced members are happy to help you reach the next level and/or make a better informed decision.

The assessment, both my own as well as the senior members', that finally led me to pull the trigger shouldn't stay in the dark, but may be useful for other aspiring purchasers of a 145.012. At least there will be another pictorial example, if all the background story, bores you. Hence this thread.

Let's first look at the seller's pictures, which are rather poor, but caught my interest, because if everything is correct with the watch, I thought perhaps competition would be lower.

The first step for me was to perform a basic hardware check to rule out an obvious Frankenwatch using the Moonwatch Only book, speedmaster101.com and of course examples on OF as resources and reference points.
- Movement serial number: Though not clearly legible, it's for sure a higher 24mil number putting it at the rather early end of the movement range for a 145.012.
- Hands: Correct hands, the chrono sweep hand with the drop shaped end is correct for the earlier 145.012
- Correct dial
- DON bezel
- Crown is a later replacement, but I don't mind.
- As for the pushers, I wasn't sure (but learnt later that the replacement would look exactly the same as the original)
- The bracelet is a correct 1039, but as opposed to the correct 516 it comes with 16 end links. I (wrongly) assumed them to be identical or interchangeable (like the 70 and 570 end links for the BoR bracelets).
So for me, it passed the first basic check.

The second step, the assessment of the condition, was obviously a bit harder. I initially assessed the state of the DON bezel as OK or good, and the case as sharp given that the original brushing on the sides of the case is still clearly visible. I found the color of the lume attractive, but where I struggled and had to involve the seasoned members and experts was to answer the question whether the lume on the dial and hands was original. My concerns were the somewhat "wobbly" form of the lume plots, in particular at 9 o'clock and the non-matching lume color of the hands among each other, i.e. the minute hand having a darker, discolored lume compared to the hour and chrono sweep hand. I was leaning towards original, but wanted to have it confirmed, before spending a serious amount.

My thanks go to @Dan S, @Passover, @ndgal, and @Aludic, whose comments and insights helped form the decision to eventually go for the watch. I owe a special thanks to @Aludic who wrote me an in-depth assessment of the watch pre and post purchase, adding to or correcting my initial assessment. They inputs were very helpful, so should be shared publicly so others may benefit from them:
- DON bezel: Original but the condition is worse than "good" given the major flaking at btw. 110 and 120 and should be taken into account for pricing.
- Case condition confirmed to be sharpe with defined case lines and solid case back.
- Bracelet: yes, 16 end links are not correct and don't have exactly the same size, but are as valuable as 516, and should not affect the value much. So that was good news. (I found these threads about the Speedy bracelets later here and here for reference).
- Dial lume: It's hard to summarize the experts opinion in short, and I don't want to put words in people's mouth, but I nobody was in the strict relume camp, but the broader consensus was leaning towards originality with a various degree of caution attached given the poor sellers pictures. Better pictures in better lighting and preferably a UV shot would be needed to confirm with confidence. But hints mentioned for originality were: "wobbly" or recessed lume is not uncommon, non-matching lume of the dial and hands are a good sign (as they came from different suppliers), relumed dials often look too uniform and too perfect.
- Lume on hands: In fact more questions were raised about the lume on the hands than the dial given the difference in color. It was suggested that perhaps the hour hand and chrono hand were later replacement or there was a lume job done on the minute hand.

In the end it was up to me to decide whether I would want to take the risk. The experts comments gave me enough comfort to go head and also the fact that the seller offered 8 day return option.

As for the bidding strategy, I was basing my limit on the speedmaster101 pricing chart for a "good" example, added $2000 for the bracelet, deducted some for the "fair" DON bezel.... and won 😀

Here are the pictures of the watch after arrival:

The color of the lume looks even better in real life. Under the loupe it was clear that not only the 9 o'clock marker is "wobbly" but several. They all have the same amount of dirt covering them. And thanks to @Aludic pointing out that there are no obvious traces of binding agents or other traces typically left after a lume job. And finally the UV shot removed any remaining doubts for me.

If anybody still thinks that I made mistake, I'm still within my return period 😀, but I hope that channel will remain quiet.

I'm very happy with my purchase, but I wouldn't have had the courage to go for without the help of more experienced fellow OF members.

Thanks for your time, I hope it's somewhat useful for the community.

Thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on the new vintage Speedy! As someone who is new and also interested in vintage Speedmasters, I certainly appreciate threads like this one. Most importantly, it looks like you are satisfied with your decision, and it seems that you are happy with the watch's condition and appearance.

FWIW, my 145.022-69 also has slightly "wobbly" lume which is original, and it lights up just like in your lume shot so to me yours is original. I'm not experienced enough to say anything about the hand lume, but at the very least it is attractive even with some of it missing on the minute hand. I think I see what you are saying though; the chrono sweep and hour hand lume seems a bit brighter. Again, it's an attractive shade and the hands are correct and its part of your watch's story.

One question, is that a bit of dirt (or possibly some corrosion) in the 75-85 on the bezel?

Enjoy your new Speedy and thanks again for sharing. Lovely watch.

Thank you for this! Learned a lot from it. I like the strategy of bidding on a watch with 'bad looking photos'

I think you made a mistake. I'll take the watch for the price you paid, because I'm a nice guy. I can come to Zurich if you want 😀
No seriously, congrats for this beautiful watch! As I already told you on IG, you did well 😀

One question, is that a bit of dirt (or possibly some corrosion) in the 75-85 on the bezel?

If you mean in the space between the bezel and the cristal, it's dirt to me.

If you mean in the space between the bezel and the cristal, it's dirt to me.

Yes, I'm also positive that's only dirt. There's quite some dirt all around the case, particularly below the case. I was most concerned about a dark spot around the crown, but it was easily removed by just rubbing it with my finger. I showed pictures to my watchmaker who also thinks it's just dirt.

Enjoy your new Speedy and thanks again for sharing. Lovely watch.
Thank you for this! Learned a lot from it.
Thank you guys!

I think you made a mistake. I'll take the watch for the price you paid, because I'm a nice guy. I can come to Zurich if you want 😀
No seriously, congrats for this beautiful watch! As I already told you on IG, you did well 😀
Haha, thanks for the nice offer. But I guess I keep it for now 😉. Thanks for the nice chat on IG. You can still come to Zurich though for meet-up.

Great to see that the watch went to a forum member and that you are happy with it. I was also watching that auction but just out of interest.
Also thank you for detailing the process that went into your decision making. It was a very informative post that will surely help me in the future.

Yes, I'm also positive that's only dirt. There's quite some dirt all around the case, particularly below the case. I was most concerned about a dark spot around the crown, but it was easily removed by just rubbing it with my finger. I showed pictures to my watchmaker who also thinks it's just dirt.

Sounds good then! I always worry when I see brownish/reddish flaky/dusty looking stuff on any kind of metal. Of course things get a bit distorted when you're taking macro shots.

Congratulations on the new speedy and thanks for the detailed post. I am sure it will make a great reference thread in the future for potential buyers.

Well done, @iamvr !! Hope you'll enjoy it for many years to come.

And should you decide to part with it, I'd happily repeat calling DIBS. 😁

Well done, @iamvr !! Hope you'll enjoy it for many years to come.

And should you decide to part with it, I'd happily repeat calling DIBS. 😁

Many thanks again for your help, @Aludic. And of course, you're at the top of the dibs list 😉.

Congratulations good Sir, a good start of 2022! And great feedback on your thought process... Can't wait to say what the next 10 months of the year will bring, aiming higher and higher 😀

Congratulations to the OP. My early 145.012-67 also has similar wobbly or recessed lume plots. Wear it in good health!

Thanks for posting this and congrats on your 145.012! I'm also flirting with the idea of trying to find a nice example of that reference and I'm afraid I'll also have to make some judgement calls based on photos only. Threads like these and the experts on this forum are extremely helpful.

Good catch 👍

Are you going to keep it on the 1039? Mine is very worn and feels feeble, so I’m going to put it on an Uncle Seiko or Forstner flat link.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Are you going to keep it on the 1039? Mine is very worn and feels feeble, so I’m going to put it on an Uncle Seiko or Forstner flat link.

I actually haven't worn it since arrival, waiting for it to be serviced first.

As for the 1039, good question. I do intend to wear it, but need to have the link connecting the bracelet to one of the end links bent back into shape first. In in particular is twisted. Or I will have to reach out to @mcgyver to ask whether he produces the fixed links as well. In the meantime I'll probably wear on a strap. So many options there.

Congratulations good Sir, a good start of 2022! And great feedback on your thought process... Can't wait to say what the next 10 months of the year will bring, aiming higher and higher 😀

Thanks, my friend. Great start to the consolidation year, right 😁?. No, not aiming higher.