Forums Latest Members

My 2021 3861 Speedy Hesalite - Photo Heavy

1. Hands90 Jan 15, 2021

Hello everyone.

I've written a few reviews on this forum and others when a watch comes along that truly deserves it.

This new speedy deserves it.

DSCF0171.JPG

The aesthetics are newly updates and looking surprisingly modern with vintage inspiration and not talking about having some fake lume, I know how you guys feel about fake lame (and no I'm not talking down on it because I'm actually in the crowd of people that really like the yellow new/old style lume on modern watches)

DSCF0186.JPG

Fit/comfort is amazing on this little guy. It wears smaller than the measurements would have you think. My wrist is a 7 roughly and it looks like it can be worn on small wrists. Yes, Omega defiantly was thinking about people with smaller wrists. I used to live and die by the Seamaster 300, I loved that watch for years but my god that bracelet was never confortable on my wrist. This Speedy sometimes makes me feel like I'm not wearing a watch. It's very comfortable.

DSCF0187.JPG

Accuracy, like others will say, mine is very accurate. It's about +1 a day so when I set or reset the time (yes there is hacking!) I go -10 so I won't reset it for about 20 or so days.

DSCF0180.JPG

Brand Equity, I think these will go down in price. There will be discounts and the grey market might be able to shave some money off but for right now, meaning today, you will be lucky to find one. I was more than happy to pay MSRP.

Boutiques will have them on and off for a while, the website sold out in a couple of hours and jewelry stores (Yes Hodinkee) will have them at the end of March if they are lucky.

New dial, new chrono hand, new bracelet and of course that 3861 movement.

DSCF0176.JPG

The movement is incredible. I've collected vintage Speedys but never a 1861 so for me this is such an improvement. There's so much to say about the enjoyment I get from this piece.

If you want a 1861 and think it will go up in value then do that. Buy a 1861, it's a great watch for the price.

That said if you have a chance for a 3861 Speedy, please hear me out. This is the ultimate Speedy.

Late at night I would close my eyes and dream about owning an Ed White one day but now those dreams are gone. I'm so impressed with this watch. Would I stil buy an Ed White… Yes absolutely but I wouldn't sell this Speedmaster to buy one.

Not to mention this Speedy is thinner then ever before. I know it's shocking that they made it even thinner.

Now for the most watch enthusiast part of this post. The chronograph track at the edge of the dial now has 3 divisions per second. When I activate the chrono it's perfectly in sync with those markings. When I time things in the oven it feels like I'm using a professional grade timer.

Ask any questions. To say I'm in a honeymoon phase with this watch is an understatement.

2. dberdichevsky Jan 15, 2021

I just got mine in Hesalite as well and couldn’t agree with you more. Nice write up and even nicer pictures! Enjoy my fellow 3861 speedy owner!

chiefenergy and Hands90 like this.
  3. Caliber561 Jan 15, 2021

Awesome pictures!
    I picked up a sapphire version, but I completely agree with everything you've said – I'm also looking to pick up an Ed White/"Cernan", but I never expected to get so attached to this new release. I assumed it was going to be "just another Speedmaster" – but now I can't see myself willingly passing it on. It really is a fantastic piece.

chiefenergy likes this.
  4. Hands90 Jan 15, 2021

Post your photos! Thanks for reading.

chiefenergy likes this.
  5. Caliber561 Jan 16, 2021

chiefenergy likes this.
  6. marcn Enough space to say witty Jan 16, 2021

@Hands90 very nice write up. I was able to pick up this same model on Jan 12th, and am very impressed with it -- though definitely also deep in the honeymoon as well. (Shouting: "Anyone in the house need to know the time? Ok then, just let me know!!") Mine's also currently about +1/day, which blows away my 1861.

My daily wear for almost four years now is an Explorer (ref 214270) but I've got it out for service now, and the timing turned out to be perfect since on almost the same day I sent it out, my local OB had one Hesalite 3861 left from their initial shipment. For me its "wind-ability" is much improved (more crown to grip; little easier action overall) and on a nato on my 6.5" wrist, well I don't need to sell anyone here, it's a delight.

I'm pretty sure the Explorer will ultimately resume its daily wear status when it's back from service, but I will very happily wear the 3861 throughout. I'd kind of always known that if/when they updated the moonwatch to master chrono, it would be pretty impossible to pass up.

IMG_2033D.jpeg

7. 105012 Jan 16, 2021

Hesalite is a must on a Speedy! Congrats.

8. rcb Jan 16, 2021

Nice writeup. It is so nice to hear so much positive feedback on the new Speedmasters.

chiefenergy likes this.
  9. cjoedaniel Jan 16, 2021

Nice review. Does anybody know if there are any improvements or changes to the hesalite crystal or is the exactly the same?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 17, 2021

It's the same.

LeonDeBayonne and cjoedaniel like this.
  11. Barstoolman Jan 17, 2021

Love the watch but your comments point out two very important points, at least for me. #1 The watch will be discounted within a year or so as this is now the standard.......the regular production model Moonwatch that will be manufactured for years, therefore, why overpay?? #2 The 1861 will/should go up in value over time and currently and, even if they don't, there are very nice discounts on them.........I just picked one up in lieu of the 3861 at a 20% discount ($4200).

Your thread definitely further convinced me to wait on purchasing the beautiful 3861. In the meantime, enjoy!!!

12. Hands90 Jan 17, 2021

1. Because of the want to have one ASAP. If you check my history I listed by Big Pilot when this came out and I didn't expect to sell it. Somehow overnight I did (my price was low).
    Have you ever paid a little bit more for shipping so your item would get to you faster? Well I just paid extra for immediate shipping.
    Sounds like a lot of money but I have mine much earlier than others and I've been wearing it since I got it.
    2. The 1861 is an amazing watch. I love it for what it is but it's not the same as the movement in the 3861, also the dial improvements mean a lot to me. This is the moon watch I've been waiting for and it will become the new standard. It should come as no surprise that ALL future special editions will have the 3861 movement.

You can wait for a 3861 and might even be able to make money on your 1861 so it's not a bad move but I couldn't wait.
    I wanted the new improvements and this bracelet is my favorite, I've ever owned.

gnuyork, thewodg and Alfista88 like this.
  13. scapa Jan 17, 2021

Great review, thanks.

The Big Pilot is a classic, and a longtime fave of mine, but the new Speedy is a pretty nice way to reduce the sting of moving it on!

14. Hands90 Jan 17, 2021

Always wanted a BP and I loved owning it but it covered the price of the Speedy so there are no complaints from me.
    In the watch community the Big Pilot does not get enough love.

15. Barstoolman Jan 17, 2021

If it works for you, fine!! Rationalizing that you paid for "immediate shipping' is an interesting way to justify your cost. It simply tell me thatyou know you overpaid to be one of the first with the latest and greatest.

Don't get me wrong.......the watch is a beauty. I will be purchasing one in the future as well. Just don't see the need to overpay for "immediate shipping". I was already offered a small discount at my AD which tells me they will be discounted, pretty heavily, in the future. In the meantime, enjoy!!

16. Hands90 Jan 17, 2021

No problem paying to have it now. Again I'm happy to be wearing it. I don't want to show off but it's crazy to hear Hodinkee talk about waiting for theirs while, I'm wearing mine.

Overpayed? No I don't think so. Buying from a grey market that costs more than MSRP… yes could be considered overpaying.
    I usually go preowned but no buying a watch brand new from an AD is not overpaying.

Unless I sell this bad boy, no I don't think I'll loose money on it since I'm not selling it. I paid FULL MSRP and got it right then and there.
    Came out on Tuesday, AD got it Thursday and I owned it Friday night.

No this is not my AD. I simply walked in and got lucky. I have an AD who is not getting them for a while. My AD gets them in March and I'd get a discount if I worked with them as I'm a customer, that said, that's 2 months from now so yea, I'll pay the 20% to have it now. No issues there.

There are people who buy and wear these watches paying full MSRP. I don't see it as a rip off or overpaying.

Again the 1861 is a great watch. I'd be thankful to have any watch. We don't need these things, they are just nice to have.
    We are all lucky to own these things and be able to afford them.

17. stevec14 Jan 17, 2021

Nice watch OP. If I get one of these, I think I’ll get exactly the same one. I already have an Apollo 11 so hesalite would be a good change up although the see through case back and applied logo are appealing.

18. cjoedaniel Jan 18, 2021

Thanks for this. Is the sapphire also the same then? In the Fratello review he mentions a less apparent milky ring.

19. Hands90 Jan 18, 2021

Couldn't speak on it myself. There is no milky ring on the hesalite but on the sapphire I'm not sure.

The salesmen said it's gone but I've been told it's still there but not as bad. Just by looking at the photos I can see something there

20. Hany_AE Jan 18, 2021

From some of the side by side macro shots I’ve seen on this forum, it looked like the sapphire crystal was changed to be a little more curved on the edges. It may help the issue but you can still see it on some pictures. Can’t wait to see in the metal to make my own opinion.