Can Omega restore this PO to like-new condition?

Posts
5
Likes
1
Hi everyone,

I've been eyeing the Planet Ocean for a few months now and am thinking about buying one second-hand pretty soon. With a 6.7-inch wrist (17 cm), I was initially leaning towards the 39.5 mm PO in black.

However, I recently came across someone in my area selling a 2201.50. The watch is 42 mm with a 48 mm lug-to-lug, and from what I've seen, it seems to wear quite well on a wrist my size. The first generation is definitely more toolish-looking compared to the 39.5 mm third generation. I like this rugged design, even though the refinement and finish of the 3rd gen are also stellar.

Another thing pushing me towards the 2201.50 is the price. The seller is asking $2,400 for it, including an Omega deployant clasp and a generic rubber strap. According to him, the watch was serviced in 2014, during which the movement was replaced, so it now has the improved caliber 2500D. The watch comes with the box but no papers, which isn't a huge issue for me. According to the seller it's about 5 sec/day.

The price seems fair, but as you can see in the pictures, the watch is pretty beat up. If I buy it, I plan to send it directly to Omega for a full service. I live in Switzerland, about an hour's drive from Biel/Bienne, so that's not really an issue.

What I'm not sure about is how much Omega will be able to make it look "new" again. I assume they can refinish the bracelet links, clasp, and case, so I'm not too worried about those. However, the bezel is quite scratched. Would they simply replace it?

I don't necessarily need the watch to look absolutely brand new after the service, but I'd like it to be more or less scratch-free.

Thanks in advance for your help!

 
Posts
1,375
Likes
1,386
I've had multiple Seamasters serviced by Omega in the last 5 years so I have a decent idea of what to expect.

With a full service you will have included in the standard price new hands, new crowns, new gaskets, a serviced movement (and any internal movement parts that are worn will be replaced), and a refinished case and bracelet. The case refinishing should return it to near new condition. If there are any deep dings those won't be taken out. But I don't see any deep dings in the photos. There are some deeper scratches on the clasp that likely won't be entirely taken out. They can't get too aggressive there or they will shallow out the Omega engravings. I've noticed they don't get too aggressive on the caseback either so there might be a few nicks visible when they're done. Again, I think it's because they don't want to distort any engravings. If you aren't expecting a 100% new looking watch I think you will be pleased. It will look super "eye clean" on the wrist.

With respect to the bezel you have two choices, live with it as is or pay for a replacement. If a replacement, they don't replace just the bezel insert (like Rolex), they replace the entire bezel assembly. In the USA the aluminum bezel/bezel assembly will run about $330. It's not cheap but it will obviously look new (because it is new). I've always had my bezels replaced as I think it's worth the money (even though it's expensive). The good thing is that they return the old bezel so you could sell it or at least have it if anything went catastrophically wrong in the future.

So if the purchase price + service + bezel is a price you're comfortable with then go for it. It's a fantastic watch and I own one. I much prefer the first gen to the ceramic variants.

My last thought: I'm 99% certain Omega never replaced with the 2500C movement with a 2500D movement during service. There are parts they would have replaced in the 2500C during service but it would not turn into a 2500D.
 
Posts
5
Likes
1
I've had multiple Seamasters serviced by Omega in the last 5 years so I have a decent idea of what to expect.

With a full service you will have included in the standard price new hands, new crowns, new gaskets, a serviced movement (and any internal movement parts that are worn will be replaced), and a refinished case and bracelet. The case refinishing should return it to near new condition. If there are any deep dings those won't be taken out. But I don't see any deep dings in the photos. There are some deeper scratches on the clasp that likely won't be entirely taken out. They can't get too aggressive there or they will shallow out the Omega engravings. I've noticed they don't get too aggressive on the caseback either so there might be a few nicks visible when they're done. Again, I think it's because they don't want to distort any engravings. If you aren't expecting a 100% new looking watch I think you will be pleased. It will look super "eye clean" on the wrist.

With respect to the bezel you have two choices, live with it as is or pay for a replacement. If a replacement, they don't replace just the bezel insert (like Rolex), they replace the entire bezel assembly. In the USA the aluminum bezel/bezel assembly will run about $330. It's not cheap but it will obviously look new (because it is new). I've always had my bezels replaced as I think it's worth the money (even though it's expensive). The good thing is that they return the old bezel so you could sell it or at least have it if anything went catastrophically wrong in the future.

So if the purchase price + service + bezel is a price you're comfortable with then go for it. It's a fantastic watch and I own one. I much prefer the first gen to the ceramic variants.

My last thought: I'm 99% certain Omega never replaced with the 2500C movement with a 2500D movement during service. There are parts they would have replaced in the 2500C during service but it would not turn into a 2500D.
What a great answer, thank you very much!