Forums Latest Members
  1. kaplan Jun 2, 2022

C-Case prices increased :(

Yelfel likes this.
  2. cvalue13 Jun 2, 2022

In fact, seems almost everything is softening.

Though I do love the idea of an alternate universe where the SwatchWatch release itself caused the entire watch world to remember these are merely watches wnd it’s supposed to be fun, triggering a correction!

sonicosa and savka like this.
  3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 3, 2022

We're working on an exhibition of artworks depicting time pieces & space watches...
    As an idea for a title, someone suggested "From ultimate space watch design to bioceramic quartz toy" ... but I passed :D
    It's simply " Of Time and Space "

kaplan likes this.
  4. PhilF Aug 14, 2022

Saw an interesting YouTube video indicating that the MoonSwatch's crystal is polymer and can be polished, but if damaged, cannot be replaced due to it's inability to be removed from the case. Don't know if the mechanism can be removed and/or repaired from the rear, possibly just the battery? This makes it a disposable if the crystal suffers significant damage.

5. savka Aug 14, 2022

Yup.

6. kaplan Aug 14, 2022

Most (all?) swatches are apparently like that, not serviceable

m84 likes this.
  7. Evitzee Aug 14, 2022

Swatch watch crystals are laser welded to the plastic case, they are not replaceable and the cases really can't be opened to do any repairs on the mechanism. Once they fail, they are done, they have been that way since day 1. The automatics can be opened.

Travelller and m84 like this.
  8. ALEJANDRO BOVONE Sep 10, 2022

the main limitation is that will be only market friendly if new or mint. wear on such material might be devastating for its future market value.

9. savka Sep 10, 2022

Luckily, there’s no relationship between future market value and personal enjoyment for some (seemingly dwindling?) percentage of us :thumbsup:

Mouse_at_Large and Dsloan like this.
  10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 10, 2022

Swatch & " future market value " in one sentence ? Oh Dear....

Dan S and Torquemada like this.
  11. Travelller Oct 26, 2022

Not sure how they're "welded", but while taking some photos, I noted that underneath the bezel, a small gap in mine and then realized there's either some kind of (partial) o-ring glued in place or it's the glue itself (or "welding" material? :unsure:). In any event, [using a loupe] you can see the crystal through the gap...

[​IMG]

*** EDIT ***
    unless that goop is only for the bezel... I just noticed on this shot that the crystal looks like it was "crimped" on the edges and I (now) take it that this is the results of the welding process @Evitzee stated

[​IMG]

Edited Oct 26, 2022
  12. JayBe Oct 26, 2022

I assume that this is more of an academic debate. This toy watch could not be seen as anything more than temporary amusement. Otherwise one would buy at least some landeron chronograph for the price when looking for value...

13. savka Oct 26, 2022

I consider all of my watches amusements, and certainly don't buy looking for value (unless we define value as my own amusement).

14. JayBe Oct 26, 2022

Looking at the funds locked in my collection, I would consider myself mad or at least financially irresponsible, if I would not have some value retention in mind. That being said, I understand your point, but I find that one can have the cake and eat it too, when choosing wisely.