Forums Latest Members
  1. AlphaToOmega Apr 4, 2022

I posted for sale on Ebay (in the UK) a 3861 Speedmaster Moonwatch 310.30.42.50.01.00, a few weeks ago and before the MoonSwatch launch it had 2 watchers. Since the launch of the MS the watcher count has increased to 10. I have also been monitoring the same watch coming up for auction on Ebay and have noticed that the end prices being achieved have gone up around 10% since the launch.
    Is this a coincidence or do others have similar anecdotal evidence?

2. alexxs Apr 4, 2022

Anecdotally, the value of my 1863 Sapphire Sandwich dropped, according to Chrono24, by about 150$ since the launch of the Moonswatch. Hard to think they'd be connected in any way.

3. TheGreekPhysique Apr 4, 2022

I would say as the interest/demand in speedys go up the prices will follow but that is just speculation.

Omegafanman likes this.
  4. kaplan Apr 4, 2022

I believe the scene lacks visibility, most regular people just are not aware of how low vintage prices are compared to their superior quality, so even if 10% of people who for some reason pay $800+ for a moonswatch run a regular Omega query and somehow stumble onto a proper Omega it should affect prices

I didn't notice a strong increase though, maybe around 10% - but the number of undiscovered auctions dropped, so maybe the low end of the market is gaining

What's up with Moonswatch though, people are still buying them for $800+ - I feel like they must know better, maybe the supply is never going to overcome demand after all

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2022

I can say there has been a significant uptick in Speedmaster Pro sales at boutiques and ADs following the release, people saw the Swatch version and went out and bought the real deal, demand was really high.

6. bombaywalla Apr 4, 2022

Good to note this price increase for used Speedys. the Moonswatch did bring the Speedy to the forefront for the masses. We WIS always knew about the Speedy Pro but I can’t say the same for the public…

Omegafanman and blufinz52 like this.
  7. savka Apr 4, 2022

Can't be related -- I heard the MoonSwatch was supposed to cheapen, devalue, and essentially tank Omega as a brand. Who would want a REAL Speedmaster when there's a cheap plastic version?? ;):D (This is a joke, in case that wasn't obvious...)

8. MtnMarine Apr 4, 2022

I just checked my Chrono24 “values”, and while they are always higher than I see sold, it has went up about 11% in the last week or so for my 3592.50….. it’ll be interesting to see if stays that way.

9. Ree Apr 4, 2022

First Swatch, then Omega up the rank. Then Rolex also saw a spike among 'hypebeast' interest.
    Screenshot 2022-04-04 195539.png

AlphaToOmega, Omegafanman and savka like this.
  10. AlphaToOmega Apr 4, 2022

So, it seems the general consensus is that there has been increased interest in the real Moonwatch since the MS launch. It was what I was expecting tbh but interesting to hear other people's experiences over the last couple of weeks.

MtnMarine and Omegafanman like this.
  11. alexxs Apr 4, 2022

Interesting. My experience with my 1863 seems to be the total opposite of yours. Wonder why ::confused2:: Maybe people are only searching for the latest reference?

12. sonicosa Apr 4, 2022

13. Dan S Apr 4, 2022

Many things can cause short-term price fluctuations, and there is certainly a lot going on in the world (including the watch world) right now. So, I think it's a bit premature to infer causal connections based on anecdotal stories and unverified Chrono24 reports of apparent prices changes that are small enough to be within normal fluctuations. If someone has access to actual data, let's see how they behave over 3-6 months.

Edited Apr 4, 2022
  14. cvalue13 Apr 4, 2022

typical W&W spike for Rolex release

arguably a key difference: a hypebeast that decided to buy an Omega that week had better luck that a hypebeast that decided to buy a Rolex that week

still, I don’t want to perpetuate the myth that Omega’s a 1-for-1 competitor with Rolex.

Cartier on the other hand… (overtook Omega this year, fueled by a growing cult-like appeal to the Gen Z crowd)

Ree likes this.
  15. Evitzee Apr 4, 2022

Way too soon to conclude what the Moonswatch's impact will have. Already the buzz is subsiding as the world waits for the next hype product.

I have a hard time believing that people who really weren't interested in Swatch watches got juiced on the mania for a $260 cross branded watch and then finding that unavailable went to an OB or AD and bought the real deal for $6k+. That pool has to be pretty shallow, but we will see.

Edited Apr 4, 2022
  16. savka Apr 4, 2022

I think it's safe to conclude that the MoonSwatch release at least resulted in a dramatic short-term spike in attention and interest in the Omega x Swatch collaboration, of which some non-zero amount surely spilled over onto Omega and Swatch generally.

Now, what long-term impact this release will have (on Swatch, on Omega, on the luxury watch industry, on pre-owned prices, etc.), is yet to be seen...

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 4, 2022

The age old conundrum…”I know half my sales/marketing budgets are wasted. I just don’t know which half. “.

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 4, 2022

And this is the trap. Training your consumers to buy on deal or on news.

MtnMarine likes this.
  19. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 5, 2022

20. AlphaToOmega Apr 5, 2022

Dunno. But took another look on Ebay again this morning. All of a sudden the lowest price for a 3861 is over £5,000. Three weeks ago I saw two separate watches go for £4100!!
    There is evidently (albeit the evidence is reasonably thin but then again so is the supply!) a spike in interest in the 3861. Personally I think this has been a marketing masterstroke by The Swatch Group and will have a long term impact on demand. I also wonder what their next 'play' is going to be....