Forums Latest Members
  1. studeb Apr 5, 2022

So the price of second hand watches has gone up. What about the price and availability of new watches?
    I would think that is what the Swatch group in interested in. Or are they now interested in the secondary and flipper market like rolex?

2. AlphaToOmega Apr 5, 2022

Good point. It is all speculation at the end of the day but some people like to get a deal and buy used and some prefer the prestige and experience of buying new so I guess there has been an uptick in new sales too. But I am guessing!
    However, Omega must look at Rolex with envy in relation to the demand for their products. So yes, the secondary market is part of that ecosystem and will therefore play a part in their sales strategy.

3. cvalue13 Apr 5, 2022

They all are.

Because a secondary premium means you’re selling every one of your units (it’s at a discount to market), for full MSRP, ripe for steady-sustainable increases to MSRP year-over-year, and for all these reasons providing near instant feedback to supplychain management so as to avoid any over-production or stranded stock.

High secondary prices are a goldmine for retailers/manufacturers.

lando, JwRosenthal and AlphaToOmega like this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 5, 2022

When OF had started 40% or more was a standard discount on an Omega, you never paid retail. The biggest price increase in the last decade came from discounts becoming limited and scarce

5. kelsey Apr 5, 2022

I was surprised when trying to order the latest release gold speedies, no 5% discount, I’ve purchased many from that OB and thought 5% was expected. This also was for the latest stock standard run of the mill and I was spending a decent amount :(

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 6, 2022

This is so true. Omega have nailed it in this regard, at least with respect to the flagship Speedmaster.

7. paddymoran Apr 6, 2022

Completely agree it’s premature to call the impact of the MoonSwatch on the Omega brand, prices of new and used Speedmasters etc. We’re still waiting to see how many of these will be available to buy online and the impact of the MoonSwatch’s wider availability. Finally, what’s Omega’s next move?? Is this a once off collaboration or will they follow up with other low value/ price novelty items? A lot of guess work at this stage.

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 7, 2022

I'm just waiting on Rolex to introduce its plastic Submariner so as to give the iconic Sub its needed shot-in-the-arm market boost.

Perhaps in a yellow plastic limited edition, the Yellow Submarine(r).

kkt, MtnMarine, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  9. mulberry083 Apr 11, 2022

Looks like Swatch is using the MoonSwatch to direct traffic to the boutique near me. The week before release, both the Swatch store and OB at the mall near me had the display box. Stopped by yesterday, and the Swatch store said they were told to give the display to the OB. Went to the OB, and there it was in the window. Was there to look at a Hesalite Speedy anyway, they wouldn’t budge on the price, offered a strap. Will probably look at ADs once things quiet a bit.

Edited Apr 11, 2022
  10. speedbird Apr 20, 2022

In my opinion, these marketing stunts aren’t targeting the enthusiast. I’m not quite sure what they’re up to, but I’ll bet they’ve given it a lot of thought.

They’ve made it possible for folks who couldn’t otherwise afford an Omega to get some of the way there, and I don’t mind that at all.

11. Bugbait Apr 21, 2022

Or people to buy a Swatch that looks nicer? That's what it represents for me. I like a good beater watch (usually Citizen Eco-Drives for convenience) but no previous Swatch held any interest for me due to aesthetics. The MoonSwatch on the other hand is decent to look at and something I would like to own and wear.

Omegafanman likes this.
  12. radwan177 Apr 22, 2022

What's with the color leak? Did Swatch come out and explained that?

13. savka Apr 22, 2022

cvalue13 likes this.
  14. radwan177 Apr 22, 2022

Owning Moonwatch (1863) I had an itch to get Swatch one, but the itch passed... maybe I'll eventually get one when it will be available everywhere

15. Yelfel Jun 2, 2022

The Omega x Swatch collaboration was very much keeping up with today’s trends. Good on Swatch Group for recognizing that opportunity. I love my MoonSwatch, but only because I also own an Ed White speedy. IMO, the MoonSwatch should supplement an actual Speedy in a collection, never replace.

Torquemada likes this.
  16. paddymoran Jun 2, 2022

This thread is entitled MoonSwatch Impact? At this vantage point I’d speculate that prices of Speedmaster Pros have definitely been impacted adversely by the launch of the new swatch watch.

17. savka Jun 2, 2022

Hope Swatch keeps launching new ones then -- can't wait to start sweeping up Speedy Pros and expand my collection for pennies on the dollar!

cvalue13 likes this.
  18. kaplan Jun 2, 2022

I bought my first Speedmaster (for my brother) and I'm a lowballer when it comes to secondary interests, so @paddymoran could be onto something

There's like a 10-20% drop in the prices I check, which only belongs to a singular model

However Moonswatches still auction for around $500 - so it's a crazy world out there

19. paddymoran Jun 2, 2022

A number of Speedmaster Pros listed on OF have been really struggling to sell with prices reduced a number of times. Ditto on other sites.

20. savka Jun 2, 2022

Rolex prices have also dropped recently, could that be because of the MoonSwatch — or is the more likely explanation a general reflection of economic forces (e.g. rising inflation, stock prices falling, recession concerns)? MoonSwatch prices have also dropped from when they first launched on the secondary market from about $2k USD to roughly $500 now.

cvalue13 likes this.