Forums Latest Members

Mid-forties radium burnt dial, worth collecting?

1. Dansnoppydoo Oct 28, 2019

Hi guys,

Just came across a Longines of mid-forties, not sure what the model is, but the burn mark from radium pretty much destroyed the dial. (I'm not sure if the burnt marks on marker are caused by radium)

The question is, is this collectible?
    It's good and bad at the same time. Burnt mark and patina show authentity, but it looks horrible ain't it?

20191028_234610.jpg
    Thrasher36 likes this.
  2. omegastar Oct 28, 2019

The burn marks could be on the glass and not the dial.

JohnLy, chronos, Benbradstock and 3 others like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Oct 28, 2019

Radium- yes.
    I guess it’s all about if you like it- it’s a look, not my look, but a look nonetheless that some people may find charming.
    I think it would be on par with any damaged dial for devaluing the watch, I don’t see it adding to its value unless Hondinkee was selling it as a special Chernobyl edition- then yes, worth thousands.

Sidnos, chronos, Benbradstock and 7 others like this.
  4. cristos71 Oct 28, 2019

IMO it is worth significantly less than a burn free example because it's now, well, ugly.

Tet, Benbradstock, lando and 4 others like this.
  5. Dansnoppydoo Oct 28, 2019

Looks like you're right! I have look up a side view image after reading your comment, seems like the burnt mark is on the glass, from what i see from the side view, it appears some little burn mark from hand. (If im not wrong)

Guess it worths the bucks now. Lol

Thank you guys, for replying. I learnt something tho..

20191029_001607.jpg
    Edited Oct 28, 2019
  6. JwRosenthal Oct 28, 2019

Crystal is an easy replacement. Be aware that there still may be some radium burn on the dial- but thankfully not that much.

Dansnoppydoo likes this.
  7. Dansnoppydoo Oct 28, 2019

Yea, that's what i am concerning too, but this come with only 50USD, i think this is a fair deal considering the dial isn't much burnt as we seen in the first image. But the watch isn't running, will need it fixed.

Do you know by approximately how much would it costs to fix it? (I see no major damage on the movement and i really don't have much knowledge on the movement)

Much appreciate!

20191029_003544.jpg
  8. JwRosenthal Oct 28, 2019

For $50 I would grab it. Case looks sharp and just a lot of funk on the underside which should scrub off. Service ranges depending on what it may need for wearable parts and where you are in the world, but an independent watchmaker should be able to get it back to shape anywhere between $2-500, if it just needs a CLA, probably on the lower end of the spectrum. If you are new to vintage watches, be aware that these watches are small in comparison to modern watches.

9. Dan S Oct 28, 2019

Nobody can give you a service estimate over the internet, and we would need more photos and information to give you advice about a purchase. For example, how large is the case? Also, although it could be an artifact of the photo, the edge of the subdial looks quite soft to me, and the LONGINES text isn't totally convincing.

Syrte, Dansnoppydoo and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. BenBagbag Oct 28, 2019

Should be fun. Send us after pictures. Don't forget about us! Good luck!

11. Dansnoppydoo Oct 28, 2019

Thank you for the advice. I know it's being too much for asking an estimation. And yea, i know some of them may come in really small case like 32mm, guess it doesn't bother me much.

Anyway thank you very much for sharing.

Hi Dan, thank you for replying.
    The seller doesn't put up much info of the watch (including case size) just vaguely describe as mid-forties. But I've send the seller a message in requesting more info.

And yea, you got the point (I've been too drag away by the burn mark). I've compared a few model from 40's and the text in this one seems odd.
    Could it be a very aged redial in your opinion?

Thank you.

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 28, 2019

gemstar, apsm100 and DaveK like this.
  13. Dan S Oct 28, 2019

It could certainly be a 60+ year old redial. We see them all the time. Just a bit hard to tell from those photos, since sometimes the text gets really distorted by a bad crystal.

14. Radiumpassion Oct 28, 2019

I think this is a redial, but it will be cool to see it with a new crystal:)

Mark020, minutenrohr, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  15. Dansnoppydoo Oct 29, 2019

I guess i'll hit the brake on this, since it might be a redial and is not working.

Thank you guys for the advice.

minutenrohr likes this.
  16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 29, 2019

Agree on redial.

oinkitt likes this.
  17. Nzhidajat Nov 4, 2019

Not the condition I would prefer in a watch like this but to each their own! It's still a cool watch by a cool watch maker

18. Walrus Nov 4, 2019

I have yet to see burn signs like that prior to this. Puts a little perspective on the radium

19. jsducote Nov 5, 2019

In general, I like radium burn. Something about it appeals to the engineer/scientist/nerd/dumb-kid-playing-with-matches in me.

Thrasher36 and chronos like this.
  20. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 5, 2019

Agree on redial.

Looks like somebody liked to keep the hands at 10 and 2. :p