Forums Latest Members

Is this Elgin worth collecting?

1. Alvy Singer Oct 27, 2021

Hey guys, I am aware that Elgin USA closed down in the 60s and changed hands afterwards. I bumped into a vintage Elgin recently but highly doubt it is from the 60s or before (more like it is from 70s after Elgin USA closure).

From a collector standpoint, do you think the watch below is worth collecting at USD 100? Thanks and look forward to your comments!

9A511C4A-63D8-462A-B7C3-FF423E064190.jpeg 33D048A4-3FCC-4AD4-9A3D-C63DB0319E21.jpeg

2. connieseamaster Oct 27, 2021

3. Canuck Oct 27, 2021

From your pictures, the case appears to be yellow in colour on top, and steel on the underside. There’s a chance this case has gold shell lugs over steel. A combination I quite like. If the case is, in fact, gold shell on the case lugs, there’s a chance it might have a karat gold bezel, and if so, it is a good quality case. The movement is a Swiss made Felsa 4008 calibre. And it most likely late 1950s or early 1960s. The question about collectibility pops up. There’s a chance the watch is going to require servicing, and possibly some parts. If so, the cost of the repair will be far more than you’ll pay for the watch. So it is pretty much your decision as to whether you are prepared to spend the repair money. The Felsa automatic movement of the era is old fashioned compared to modern self-winders, but they were produced in the millions, and were reliable workhorses when in good shape. Let us know what you decide to do.

Vitezi, wagudc, Omegafanman and 2 others like this.
  4. Alvy Singer Oct 27, 2021

5. Alvy Singer Oct 27, 2021

Thanks for your great input ! If it is a Felsa 4008, can I conclude that it is a Elgin USA watch?

From this website https://www.elgin.watch/enwco/elgin-movement-grades/ It is a Mar 1964 movement.

Extra photo to share below

5187CE8B-5EE1-4562-A312-169F3021BF90.jpeg

6. Canuck Oct 27, 2021

Here is a link to Wayne Schlitt’s Elgin website. Lots of information there.

http://elginwatches.org/history/index.html

As to your watch being produced during the years the original company was still operating? Some of the now defunct U S watch manufacturers continued on after manufacturing was halted. They continued on, marketing Swiss made watches until they finally dissolved, liquidated everything, and sold the name. Whether yours was an Elgin U S A watch, or one marketed by a successor to Elgin, I am unable to say. I wonder if the case back has stampings on it that specify if it was a product of Elgin U S A. If such a stamping is not there, then your guess is as good as mine.

I can say that, in your additional pictures, the case appears to be all stainless steel.

Alvy Singer likes this.