Forums Latest Members
  1. Bobby Chia Oct 27, 2016

Hi all,

I came across this Omega Seamaster 30 while searching for vintage omega seamaster watches.

How much are these worth and are they worth collecting?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 27, 2016

Value depends on condition. If you search sold listings on eBay, you can get a good idea of value. Only you can determine if they're worth collecting. If you're looking for a long-term investment, buy gold.

3. Bobby Chia Oct 27, 2016

Thanks for your reply at efauser.. But that's not the point... Do you collect watches?

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 27, 2016

Then what are you asking?

5. Bobby Chia Oct 27, 2016

I was hoping to get an in-depth answer from watch collectors' point of view. Instead of asking me to buy gold, as a long-term investment.

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 27, 2016

I'll play. If you collect watches, why? If you do, what is the reason you collect what you do?

kkt and Interstellar like this.
  7. Bobby Chia Oct 27, 2016

I believe you are not a collector, and you cannot further advise. Thanks for your time.

8. Ritzwatch Oct 27, 2016

Oh, dear mercy.

chronos, cvrle1, kingsrider and 2 others like this.
  9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 27, 2016

If you want information on this model, the article you linked covers both of your original questions. I think my questions about collecting are valid. Why did you choose this particular watch? What is it, beyond what's in the article, that you want to know? Have you done any other research into this watch, beyond the article?

10. Edward53 Oct 27, 2016

Hey Bobby
    The poster who answered your question is a serious collector, as most of us are. I think the problem is that there is no simple answer to your question. We get a lot of new posters treating this forum as a sort of free information service. They seem to forget that the forum isn't some sort of giant robot, it's actually lots of individual people and sometimes those people get a bit fed up with blunt questions and being taken for granted. The majority of people asking questions like yours show up, get the info they want and then disappear. Quite often they don't even bother to say thank you.
    So the answer is, the information you're looking for is here, but you do need to do some research of your own as members here don't really feel like doing the hard work for you. Yes the Seamaster 30 is an excellent model but buying watches as an investment will only work if you know what you are doing, which takes months or years to achieve. You'd also need a lot of luck. You might not like the reply about buying gold but actually it makes a lot better sense for the average person.
    If you are truly interested in vintage watches and like them for what they are, that is the best way to buy, but don't think of it as an investment. The only thing you will earn is the enjoyment of owning something special, which is enough for most members of this forum. You should also expect to lose money on your first one or two purchases, as most of us here have done.
    Good luck,
    E.

11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 27, 2016

Good lord, another one! :rolleyes:

I'm finding this graphic quite useful of late.

IMG_4976.JPG

tyrantlizardrex, Mods and efauser like this.
  12. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 27, 2016

I'll bite.
    Yes, they are a great watch and worthy of a place in a collection or collecting in their own right.
    As for whether or not they will increase in value my crystal ball is not working right now so I can't say. But most collectors efauser included collect because they love vintage watches not as investments so you probably are safer buying gold.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 27, 2016

OP
    All Omega watches are worth collecting
    What floats your boat and the condition is relative to worth
    (We are a disparate bunch and all like different things)
    Find a watch you might like to buy and post it here for comment
    Then you might get an idea if it worth buying
    Hope that helps

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 27, 2016

I think we're being a bit harsh here guys
    I don't think the OP mentioned investment
    Just are 30s worth collecting

15. Interstellar Oct 27, 2016

I almost choke on my food when I read this. Just Wow!
    Bobby, how about showing a little gratitude and respect for the members here that actually take the time to reply to your post? :)

Edited Oct 27, 2016
  16. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 27, 2016

Your definition of worth and mine must be very different. "How much are these worth and are they worth collecting?"

17. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Oct 27, 2016

Well Bobby they are not as valuable as cal 321 speedmasters but I think they are definitely worth collecting. Now is therefore a great time to buy. Hunt out as many of them as you can. Corner the market. Maybe set up your own website sharing the knowledge you have gained. Create a real buzz around seamaster 30's and just watch them become worth more and more and more. You could become what Hodinkee was to Universal Geneve. Good luck Bobby and remember condition condition condition above all else.

dwndler and Peemacgee like this.
  18. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 27, 2016

I think I covered 'worth' in my reply to the OP
    worth is relative
    one man's meat etc.....

I collect just because I love Connies
    the fact that they might be a good investment just gives me a a good feeling

I realise that we get lots of 'gold diggers' on the forum
    but sometimes it might just be the (unfortunate) language used by noobs

we should at least let transgressors implicate themselves properly before lynching them :)

19. Edward53 Oct 27, 2016

Rereading the early posts, I take that point: OP only mentioned investment in response to the previous post. It all went wrong when he made an unwise personal remark early on.

We don't know if OP's native language is English and he (I presume it's a he) may not have the ability to post in an appropriate manner or pick up the nuances of the reply. Or he might be a straight-up guy who just expresses himself bluntly. But it's a fact of online life that new posters need to give some thought to, and adapt to, the forum they're posting on and not vice versa. A bit like the real world.

20. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 27, 2016

Perhaps I'm too cynical (ya think?) but the lack of response to my questions, other than accusing me of not being a collector, reinforces what I suspected.