Forums Latest Members

Looking for a Seamaster cal.600 or similar from around my birthyear 1967

1. kukulcan May 2, 2017

I am looking for manual winding watch with steel case and preferably black dial in original condition - as far as possible, probably will get an Omega steel bracelet, as most come with an aftermarket leather strap.

Just a few I found:

http://www.chrono24.com/omega/1967-...-companion-omega-seamaster-600--id5764325.htm
    It is black and says untouched. Other black ones from the same seller are marked as touched up. Is there a way to check that, is the price OK for an untouched black dial model?

http://www.chrono24.com/omega/seama...erviced-one-year-warranty-mint--id6107002.htm
    That seller seems to be very serious about his watches and they come with signed crystal (nobody else seems to care).

https://parkersjewellers.co.uk/shop/omega-seamaster-600-vintage-mechanical-2/
    This allegedly is from 1967 and I like it, as it shows some "character", I don't need a watch that looks like new. But isn't the price a little too high for the signs of usage? Is the wear present on the dial somthing you would call "good" wear? (I read in another thread not all wear is good).

Not in a rush to buy any of these but maybe your comments on them could help me decide more competently when I see more.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 2, 2017

3. kukulcan May 2, 2017

Thanks for the link. I would say none of the 3 above has been brushed to death or redialed (but I won't bet my life on that) and I would have a look at the movement of the third.

The instructions are great, but I feel like it needs quite some experience to apply them.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 2, 2017

No better time than now to start gaining it.

5. Davidt May 2, 2017

1. Watch looks largely ok but I wouldn't touch anything from that seller.

2. Looks decent but you're paying a large premium for the MEISTER co signing.

3. Dial is rough and over-priced.

White/silver dialled Seamaster 600's are quite plentiful and can be bought around $450 with a little patience.

6. kreyke May 2, 2017

3rd one isn't attractive to me. It didn't age nicely.

7. Vitezi May 2, 2017

8. kukulcan May 2, 2017

OK, so that "spotty" ageing is considered not nice. As I said it looks attractive to me, but that one shouldn't be more than $400 (even serviced with warranty) - right?

What about a signed original crystal? Will it be easy to have a generic one replaced with an original Omega and what would be the price? Would I be able to get one in the condition of the second one for $450? (from the US it would be $450 + 19% VAT + higher shipping, so $450 = roughly 550€ effectively)

Edited May 2, 2017
  9. kukulcan May 2, 2017

Thanks for the effort, Vitezi

10. kreyke May 2, 2017

There aren't any hard and fast rule to judging whether it has aged nicely. Most spotting aren't pleasant but there are always exceptions. I think if it's nice to you, then go for it. What matters most is that you like it on your wrist.

I don't fuss about signed crystals. Not sure about the rest. There is a thread going on recently about original crystals, search bar is your friend.

11. Davidt May 2, 2017

Have you looked on eBay for completed listings to get an idea of what they sell for in open auction?

What country are you in?

I bought a 600 in good condition last year for £300.

12. kukulcan May 3, 2017

How about this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wat...atic-Cal-563-SSteel-Circa-1966-/232318259796?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

OK - it is a automatic winding, but I was under the (maybe wrong?!) impression that those would be more expensive, that's why I looked for manual.

The dial looks nice, but I can't say if it is a redial or touched up, so I asked for a more high res photo. What about bad brushing? The lugs seem a bit "soft" but not really sure about that.

@Davidt: Germany...will check those completed auctions, what an obvious idea and something I do most of the time anyway