Forums Latest Members

Help with choosing between Seamaster Meister 600 vs. Seamaster 30

1. themikegeorge Apr 24, 2017

Newbie here in the hunt for my first Omega Seamaster and I'd like the forums input. I've done way too much research and reading and narrowed it down to two models. I'm looking for some input on which one I should go with for everyday wear.
    Option 1: Omega Seamaster 600 Meister (mint)
    •1965, 601 cal (17 jewels)
    •all original parts including acrylic dial
    •includes box/service records
    •$900
    IMG_1826.PNG IMG_1827.PNG IMG_1828.PNG

Option 2: Omega Seamaster 30
    •1962, Cal. 286
    •all original parts w/ replaced Omega acrylic dial
    •includes box/service records
    •$800
    IMG_1823.PNG IMG_1824.PNG IMG_1825.PNG

The Meister is super clean, but I love the patina and the history of the 286. Any input on the watches and calibers would be fantastic. Thanks.

Edited Apr 25, 2017
  2. StrutlessWonder Apr 24, 2017

Looks like you should go with Option 1 :D
    (Both examples are labeled Option 1)

3. R3D9 Apr 24, 2017

Lume is missing from the hands of the SM600 - a major pet peeve for me. I can't comment on the authenticity of either.

4. themikegeorge Apr 25, 2017

Ahhhhh. Nice catch. Thanks.

5. RancheroMaster Apr 25, 2017

To me, a choice like that depends what you like in a manual wind movement. The 30 mm movements are wider (and with a bigger balance wheel and thus theoretically better accuracy), versus the 6xx series, which are thinner but only 28 mm wide (and thus dressier and typically lower on the wrist, dependent on case reference number). Typically I believe the 30 mm are regarded as slightly more collectable but both are very fine movements. The 30 mm calibres were designed from the ground up as manually wound movements, and the 6xx series were based on the highly regarded 55x and 56x series automatics but without the automatic rotor assembly. If I personally had to choose, I'd go the 28x, because it's 33% thinner but only sacrifices 7% in width. I may be bias though, since I've previously owned a 601 calibre Seamaster 600 (uncertain service history but it kept time to +10 seconds a day consistently in the time I owned it) and presently have a 561 Connie. The larger dimensions of the 30 mm may make it slightly more robust which may be important in an every day watch. Both have an ample amount of spare parts available.

I'm probably rambling. Good luck with your dilemma, they're both very nice choices.

themikegeorge likes this.
  6. themikegeorge Apr 25, 2017

Super helpful. I like the idea of the slightly larger case.

RancheroMaster likes this.
  7. RancheroMaster Apr 25, 2017

You're welcome! You really can't go wrong with either.