Jones Horan Tri Compax

I bought this one last May and am still waiting to get back from having it cleaned. I would appreciate any thoughts on originality of components etc.
https://www.archive.jones-horan.com...ow_thumbnails=true&limitnbr=250&Submit=Search
Obviously crown and possibly moon phase are replaced. Case seems odd, Spring bar sockets are female. I am new to Tricompax, and did not know about this forum or the recent book until a couple of weeks ago. I don’t plan on collecting them, just would like a couple of nice original ones to wear from time to time. Hope I didn’t make too big a mistake. Especially since the gold case one came up in the very next auction. Any information would be much appreciated.

Photos are always good to have as links eventually break :thumbsup:

Sold: $3,800
IMG_7181.jpeg IMG_7185.jpeg IMG_7182.jpeg IMG_7183.jpeg IMG_7184.jpeg IMG_7186.jpeg IMG_7187.jpeg IMG_7188.jpeg

Like 4
From my very limited understanding, I thought it might be an early “prototype” when I bought it. I read some of the thread and that seems confirmed. It also seemed to me to be all original except the crown and possibly the moon disk.
Specific questions are: Did early models have a blank moon disk with no face? Did early models have female spring bar sockets in lugs instead of male? Is there anything beside the crown that looks restored or not original?

From my very limited understanding, I thought it might be an early “prototype” when I bought it. I read some of the thread and that seems confirmed. It also seemed to me to be all original except the crown and possibly the moon disk.
Specific questions are: Did early models have a blank moon disk with no face? Did early models have female spring bar sockets in lugs instead of male? Is there anything beside the crown that looks restored or not original?
PS.
I did note the missing case screw, but didn’t think much of it at the time. I am a railroad pocket watch guy, just don’t know much outside of that.

I did note the missing case screw

Actually looks like a broken screw.

Like 2
To answer … moon discs from 40s degraded and were discontinued at decades end. It was then common to change out the moon and crowns. Crowns from 40s were blank. Looks fine but please get this to a qualified vintage watchmaker for an overhaul.

To answer … moon discs from 40s degraded and were discontinued at decades end. It was then common to change out the moon and crowns. Crowns from 40s were blank. Looks fine but please get this to a qualified vintage watchmaker for an overhaul.
Already at the shop awaiting overhaul.

Like 1
Was it common/usual for SS cases to have dials with gold instead of steel?

Like 1
Not unusual or uncommon. Remember, the reference is for the case. Dials were very fluid.

Like 3
Agree with all of the above. Likely very early example with the protruding pushers, but later moon and later crown. Dial with gold markers totally fine, even with steel case.

Cool Tri, congrats !

(what’s the earliest Tri case serial we have on record?)

Like 1
Cool Tri, congrats !

(what’s the earliest Tri case serial we have on record?)
This has to be close but we have seen these early correctors before.

Nothing changed I think

Nothing changed I think
Thanks to all of you for your help and input. Nice to know I didn’t make a huge mistake.

I will need to see if there is a movement number other than 287 once I get it back.