Forums Latest Members
  1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 24, 2022

2. mikeo1 Jan 24, 2022

Thanks Larry!

3. Longbow Feb 12, 2022

Damm, another enabler thread!

OK, now that you have piqued my interest in JLC Reversos I would like to ask if anyone on OF has experience of the models below and, I suspect this is a very long shot, does anyone here actually have the Ultra thin tribute to 1931 US Limited Edition (syringe hands)?

Has anyone tried the JLC engraving or enameling service?

Reversos vying for my hard-earned:-
    Reference: 270.8.36
    Reference: 270.3.36
    Reference: 240.8.18

Thanks in advance for any helpful insights.

4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Feb 12, 2022

As someone who is peering through the window into the Reverso club, I am seeking some clarity on the rules of membership.

1. I’m located in Canada. Are these serviceable only by JLC, or would the right independent watchmaker be able to order any needed parts from them? Perhaps the watchmaker would need to have a donor or search their network for any needed bits.

2. If I go into the used market, are there production years to avoid? I am completely drawn to the white dial with blued hands and sub seconds.

3. Any particular antimagnetic properties with JLC, I’m thinking of a hospital setting

many thanks :thumbsup:

Longbow likes this.
  5. Evitzee Feb 12, 2022

I had my rose gold Reverso engraved and enamelled by the factory way back in 1999. Unfortunately they screwed up in the final polishing phase and messed up the three ribs, somehow it passed their final inspection. The AD that handled the engraving process (The Hour Glass in Melbourne) and I agreed that it wasn't right, it was sent back and they redid the engraving and enamelling on a new gold back at their expense. Mistakes happen and I would have no qualms in using their services again.

This was one of the first rose gold Reversos made after the introduction of the Grand Taille case in 1991 for the 60th anniversary of the Reverso, it was part of a 150 pc edition for the Italian market. The Italians were the ones that re-popularized the Reverso in the 70's and 80's prompting JLC to completely redesign the mechanics of the case which was a weak spot on the original Reversos. These pics were taken a couple of months ago, it still looks good for a 30 year old watch. Zero mechanical issues with the swivelling case in three decades of use.

IMG_0726.JPG IMG_0730.JPG
    Edited Feb 12, 2022
    coronado, lindo, NYCwatchgal and 6 others like this.
  6. Bourne1984 Feb 19, 2022

I too am close to making the decision to pick up a reverso through an AD.
    I think I might be in a small group but I’m interested in the simplest time only model, medium thin as pictured.
    Are there any owners who are also as simple minded as me?
    How do they wear?
    To be honest I often see the slightly larger models in posts and to my eyes they look a little large.

77F36DE7-969F-42A7-BAE7-BB94B3526D47.jpeg
    watch3s, Eve and Longbow like this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 19, 2022

JLC rectangular watches are small even in the larger sizes. Here is a side by side shot of my Reverso Duo which is supposedly in a 'grande taille' size next to what Cartier consider a men's size for their Tank Solo, the XL. Note the Cartier dwarfs the smaller and in my view rather nicer JLC offering. Cartier do a nice dial, but JLC make a nicer watch with true horological credentials. Both of these are mine, I didn't set out to buy the tank but I was offered it BNIB at a price I couldn't refuse.

IMG_4949.jpg
    IMG_4955.jpg

Edited Feb 19, 2022
  8. Bourne1984 Feb 19, 2022

Can I ask what dimensions are they?

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 19, 2022

Cartier 40.6 x 31mm, JLC 42.4 x 26mm (by my measurements inc lugs) so the JLC is slightly longer but much narrower. My watch is from the '90s, I believe they have introduced larger sizes more recently though so be careful to check the dimensions when you consider one.

Edited Feb 19, 2022
    SpikiSpikester likes this.
  10. NT931 Feb 19, 2022

Yup I have the 26x42mm GT size too. They wear like a 36-37mm watch.

11. cchen Mar 6, 2022

anyone know vintage reverso's that can give an opinion? reversos have always caught my eye but i've never made the conscious decision to go after one

this one seems appealing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hands look wrong - how difficult would it be to source the correct hands?
    crown is replacement as well?
    Tavannes / Lisica movement
    TIA

12. Evitzee Mar 6, 2022

Vintage Reversos are interesting but have their own issues. The swiveling cases are not as robust as the ones post-1991 when the case was completely redesigned. And you have the typical issues of a vintage movement. As you note hands are not correct on your example, sourcing correct ones will not be easy.

Edited Mar 6, 2022
  13. watch3s Mar 6, 2022

dont forget the grand taille ultra thin, i let one slip by and still kicking myself for it. its similar to the tribute just short that iconic dial hand layout

cchen likes this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 6, 2022

@cchen .. if you can get this for a good number, factory service with proper hands might be an option. That gap where some gorilla pried the case apart would bug the heck out of me. Personally there is such a nice choice in more modern pieces in better shape, I’d pass on this.

cchen and watch3s like this.
  15. jsducote Mar 7, 2022

The auction estimate should give you a clue, admittedly not the only clue, unless it's some no-name house that has never seen a Reverso. A good example from the 1930s should be 3 or more times this estimate. There are a couple of bad examples from the 30s that a German auction house has been flogging for over a year now, which fail to bring the US$4000 or so that they want, but they keep reappearing every couple of months.

16. cchen Mar 7, 2022

Yeah going to pass on this one

17. Robyn Hode Mar 13, 2022

I enjoy this for casual wear.

IMG_2713.jpeg
    Readiness77 likes this.
  18. jsducote Mar 14, 2022

No sooner did I post this than said auction haus relisted the same two lots in their next upcoming auction. For the same opening bid/estimates that have passed the last 3 times they've been listed.

I agree that vintage are special, but consider whether you really want to wear it daily/regularly. (hint: you probably don't)

19. Difeer Mar 26, 2022

If you are still interested, this is how the medium thin sits on my 6.18-inches wrist. I find it really versatile and unassuming, especially because of its thinness.

View attachment 1391221

jlc_mediumthin.jpg
    Edited Mar 28, 2022
    Bourne1984 likes this.
  20. Bourne1984 Mar 27, 2022

Thanks so much. That really helps, my wrist is 7 1/4” so for me the size is perfect.
    Just in the process of selling a Rolex OP and a Polerouter so once they shift I think I might treat myself. Much obliged.

Difeer likes this.