Forums Latest Members

JLC Reverso or Patek Golden Ellipse

1. Kupepe Sep 4, 2023

Good morning,

I am playing with the idea of start looking for my next watch: a used, good-conditioned, well-priced Reverso Monoface or a Patek Golden Ellipse in white gold with blue dial. I can wear "dress watches" daily as my profession allows it, since it is an office job.

Both are iconic in design from reputable manufacturers, so I guess either choice is good ... but which one would you take? Both are beautiful in my eyes in terms of design.

2. HamDoctor Sep 4, 2023

Super hard decision, that one. And the usual solution ("get both") may be considered to be "financially dubious"...

More than ever, it would depend on your surroundings - both are excellent (I would say, among the best) dress watches. The Reverso is a bit more rugged, the Ellipse a (tiny) bit more elegant. On the other hand, the Reverso has this magnificent gimmick of being wearable either way... and possibly engraved on the back.

Personally, if this was my choice and I was in, say, a law office or some place like that, I would lean slightly toward the Ellipse. The Reverso is - rightfully - very successful, so it may turn up more often than the Ellipse. For me, that makes the Ellipse the more "rare" / "left field" choice, which is something that appeals to me.

In the end, personal preference and which one you get a better offer for will make the decision easier, I think.

Jonathan40 likes this.
  3. Evitzee Sep 4, 2023

Just personal preference, both would work well in an office situation and you aren't likely to run across another guy wearing either one. The PP movement is probably better finished, but the Reverso's casework is better. Toss a coin.

Larry S likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 4, 2023

Personally I would never wear the PP. Too fussy. I’ve seen them in person and they look like overgrown ladies watches. The Reverso is sporty and versatile. One bit of advice though. If you currently do not have a square or rectangular watch, I would stop in at a JLC AD and try one on. Does not work for some folks.

Redwes25, Zman4eva, NT931 and 6 others like this.
  5. Kupepe Sep 6, 2023

Thank you all for the input. Tried the Reverso ... the 45 mm is kinda chunky for me ... the 42 has more elegance.

The hard part is where to find an Ellipse to try on :) ... not many waiting in a AD at Greece.

Guess will try to find one to see it in real during a trip in some other EU country.

Thank you all

6. HamDoctor Sep 6, 2023

Whatever you decide, I hope you're
    a) happy with it
    and b) will show us pictures :)

Good hunting!

7. TIMElyBehaviour Sep 6, 2023

If you are going to wear as a daily, the reverso is probably the better bet being a sports watch, yea lads it’s a sports watch just not from this era.
    The pp would be too fragile.

1A3E8161-B92A-435B-8CE9-48B8C938211E.jpeg
    apsm100, Zman4eva, Dries and 2 others like this.
  8. NT931 Sep 6, 2023

+1 for the Reverso. Can be dressed up or dressed down depending on the strap, unlike the Ellipse which is dressier and far less versatile. Plus I also feel the Reverso design is more timeless, whereas the Ellipse still seems very 70s-ish to me.

Kupepe likes this.
  9. Difeer Sep 6, 2023

The great thing about Reverso is that, if you are ok with preowned, there are lots of interesting variations in varying sizes.

Ellipse is definitely more dressy. If you are looking for something with a little bit of a casual twist, the 5028G is quite nice. And the size is more wearable than the current lineup of Ellipse.
    patek_philippe_ellipse_ref_502_1658318009_2d8e21db.jpeg

TIMElyBehaviour, Kupepe and Larry S like this.
  10. TIMElyBehaviour Sep 7, 2023

Has a bit of 6006 connotations with a dressy feel

Difeer likes this.
  11. spacemission Sep 8, 2023

Patek is premium. Jaeger lecoultre is sublime.

Kupepe likes this.
  12. yorkzilla Sep 17, 2023

He’s my 42mm Duoface.

IMG_3641.jpeg IMG_3793.jpeg

padders, Maganator, noelekal and 4 others like this.
  13. DTMwatch Oct 2, 2023

Reverso: it’s a better looking watch in my opinion. Great story behind the Reverso too makes it a bit more interesting.

14. nitediver Oct 2, 2023

I agree that this a tough decision, but i would go with the Reverso. I think the 42mm would wear better on the wrist and the case is much more appealing than the Ellipse's. Good hunting and looking forward to see your pick! :)

15. NGO1 Oct 2, 2023

Reverso wins this round for me.
    Tribute 1931 is the ultimate Reverso. This belongs with the Royal Oak Jumbo, Nautilus 3700, imo.

2 handers that incorporate their brands dna.

IMG_9021.jpeg
    DTMwatch, Kupepe, HamDoctor and 4 others like this.
  16. itsjustausername Oct 3, 2023

Notch another one for the JLC; heritage, elegance and ruggedness all in one attractive, versatile package. The PP lacks a big dose of ooomph in comparison (IMO)

17. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Oct 3, 2023

@Kupepe, my long lost cousin, you're likely best off trying both and see which one sings to you the most.

noelekal likes this.
  18. Kupepe Oct 3, 2023

Lol ...

Say hi to auntie ... . This family is renown for its epic looks.

noelekal likes this.
  19. th0m Oct 4, 2023

I like the look of many Reversos and have considered buying one for years, but have lately found the case design to be a little too "gimmicky". Ended up getting a Patek 5010G instead, which I love.
    [​IMG]

lucreative, NGO1 and Larry S like this.
  20. Evitzee Oct 4, 2023

Gimmicky? The Reverso design has been around for almost 100 years, true gimmicks don't last very long.

That PP is nice, not too sure on your strap choice though, a little too rustic for a high end watch.