Forums Latest Members

"iWatch" - The Apple Watch Thread

1. imexian Mar 15, 2015

Looks..err great...::puke::I have apple stuff and its good, but i use them as a tool of my job, but you know as well as i do the "Apple Fanboys/Girls" will be creaming about this new gadget they can fart about with after connecting it to the dozen other Apple gizmo's they have. They will be to busy downloading apps and updates to read the time.....::screwloose::

2. lenny Mar 15, 2015

Oh, I did read it. The timing of this announcement makes me suspect that Breitling is doing this because of the iwatch news. They want to remain relevant technologically and are proposing the same phone - watch communication concept. Of course, this is much lower tech, but the end result is still the same (wireless multi-gadget remote operation). I imagine other Swiss companies will follow as well - at least with their Quartz watches.

Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly like either, but do feel that one is inspiring the other.

3. nlogax Mar 15, 2015

Ha! So I'm not the only one who does this :)

4. nlogax Mar 15, 2015

From the transcript of Tim Cook's 'surprise' call into Jim Cramer on Mad Money: http://www.imore.com/heres-transcript-tim-cooks-surprise-mad-money-call, (emphasis mine):

Cramer: Let me ask you about where you think things are going — I know that the car, the home — do you think of them as connectivity/social mobile cloud connectivity? Do you feel as though these are the next frontiers, or is there a frontier that I'm missing, I'm not thinking big enough?

Cook: Well, I think that those are two big ones that you've talked about. I think that Health may be the biggest one of all, because for years, people have depended on strictly someone else to determine their health. And now these devices — in essence — empower people to manage and track their own health and fitness. And so I think that market is probably significantly underestimated.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 15, 2015

6. nlogax Mar 15, 2015

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 15, 2015

Biggest thing among young,ens at work lately has been those wrist health monitors.

8. imexian Mar 15, 2015

Will,it be able to alert me about how much vodka I can intake before falling over? :taunt:

9. nlogax Mar 15, 2015

Oh that's easy already, it's when you can't read this:

[​IMG]

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 15, 2015

ciroc_g_shock_breathalyzer_watch_1.jpg

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 15, 2015

For all these health gadgets (Apple watch included), one concern I would have is who owns the data generated? How private is it? What can it be used for by third parties?

STANDY likes this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 15, 2015

Funny you say this as a car insurance company in Australia has a App for the Iphone and that is the big thing as it will tell the insurance company if you are speeding ( could be a few issues in this)

http://www.aami.com.au/safe-driver-smartphone-app

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 15, 2015

If I relied on private health insurance, I would want to know how this information would be used before I would ever get one of these devices. Not a problem here, but in the US I can see this being a big issue...the number one job of any insurance company is finding a reason not to pay, so I would not want to have information out there that could be used for such things.

We have some insurance companies here that offer in car monitors that tell them how you drive. The law here is that these can only be used to lower your premiums if you have good driving habits, but it's not something I would ever trust insurance companies to be honest with. They may not raise your rates, but they could drop you based on this information (and use another excuse) and once you are dropped by one company, you pay through the nose to get insured with another one...

14. micampe Mar 15, 2015

On iOS no app gets access to any of that data until you explicitly give it permission.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 15, 2015

In the US the private insurers have all your information. Anytime you make a claim, you have to give doctor permission to release your info to the insurance company, or it won't be paid. It's supposed to be protected by HIPPA privacy law, but I have my doubts.

I worry more about the government than private insurers anyway.

gatorcpa

16. BarracksSi Apr 2, 2015

I should write another post later about ResearchKit. That's a big-picture project that most of us haven't thought about yet.

For now, though, reposting this from elsewhere --

Insider story on the creation of the Apple Watch. The interview is with Kevin Lynch, formerly a higher-up at Adobe, hired by Apple in 2013 to work on the still-secret Watch:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/the-apple-watch/

17. repoman Apr 9, 2015

18. SeanO Apr 9, 2015

so text messages are more important than his kids?

sorry, they don't pay me enough money for that.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 9, 2015

So he hasn't looked at his phone but his watch connected to his phone has interrupted him. So now he will look at his phone. bang.gif bang.gif

20. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 9, 2015

alam likes this.