Forums Latest Members
  1. Scooterino36 Sep 8, 2022

Say what you want about smart watches, but this is just really cool. Many watch brands should take note on how to market a watch (looking at you Tudor Pelagos 39).

Also very interesting that Apple is going 49MM on this one. Makes one wonder if the market research tells a different demand story than what is common in the niche watch enthusiast corner (smaller/thinner is better sentiment).

MTROIS and Trev like this.
  2. vbrad26 Sep 8, 2022

I appreciate their efforts. To me, it seems like it is well thought out and pretty useful if you do indeed use it for what it is intended.
    But this is a niche I don't know much about. I don't know what else is out there in the market that compares to something like this.
    Probably a Garmin of some sort. And maybe there are better options than this...
    I still have my Series 3 Apple watch. I don't love it, but it is pretty useful and it does everything I need from a smart watch.

Scooterino36 likes this.
  3. Evitzee Sep 8, 2022

I'm not interested in any Smart watch but you see a ton of Apple watches out there; men, women, young, old. These people wouldn't spend that kind of money on a normal watch but will splash it out for an Apple, and for upgraded versions, too. Amazing brand power.

4. KeithS Sep 8, 2022

Yeah, that was good. Nearly got goosebumps. Reminds me of the old Nike commercials.

Scooterino36 likes this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 8, 2022

Does it still need to be recharged EVERY night making it worthless for sleep tracking?

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  6. Scooterino36 Sep 8, 2022

I wonder if they will ever go solar, but that likely does not align with planned obsolescence.

madjestikmoose likes this.
  7. vbrad26 Sep 8, 2022

They say 36 hours of normal use and up to 60 hours on low power settings (coming soon).

8. rbob99 Sep 8, 2022

Does anybody know who does the voice over in that advertisement? The voice sounds familiar but I can't place it.

9. SkunkPrince Sep 8, 2022

I think it might be Stephen Baldwin.

rbob99 likes this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 8, 2022

If they could make it powered by body heat and/or solar and/or mechanical, such that the crappy battery life can be forgotten about, I’d take it. Maybe one day…

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 8, 2022

Maybe they can ditch the screen and go retro. Use a spinning weight to wind a spring that lowers the automation?

12. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 8, 2022

Or use e-ink. Will likely 8x the battery life. Retro will be black and white.

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 8, 2022

I’ve definitely seen a lot of people, colleagues, friends and family use an Apple Watch as a stepping stone to a good Swiss watch. It gets something on the wrist or a generation unaccustomed to watches and when they get a little older and want to upgrade they look at a Longines or Oris or TAG, maybe even a used Omega if budget allows.

To me that’s a really great thing, they’ve killed off some brands like fossil in their price range but who really cares about fossil?

14. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Sep 8, 2022

It’ll be obsolete within a few years, yet more plastic consumer junk to add to the landfill pile when something better comes along, just like all the other ‘smart’ stuff. Don’t @ me.

noelekal and sheepdoll like this.
  15. Evitzee Sep 8, 2022

That's great, I just haven't seen anyone I know show any interest in going to a conventional, mechanical watch. They usually focus on one specific thing the watch can do, like paying for their cup of overpriced Joe at Starbucks. Stuff a regular watch can't do, and that's enough to keep them in the Apple camp. They love their apps.

16. SkunkPrince Sep 8, 2022

Not plastic, not junk. You might be an Apple hater, there are plenty. Most of them don't know wtf they're talking about.

I have been using Apple products for decades. Yes, sometimes I have complaints. I've hated Windows for decades because it's shit, and hated other products because they're shit.

Apple is one of the few companies that is aggressive with recycling. They have a cubic crapload of money and they spend it well.

Your anger is possibly to be directed elsewhere. I don't want an Apple Watch myself, because it has no utility to me. That others like it is not a failing of theirs; perhaps your possible anger is a failing of yours.

17. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Sep 9, 2022

Thanks for your insight, particularly the psychiatric one.

1. I’m not an Apple-hater. I own several Apple products.

2. Your judgments are definitely to be directed elsewhere, preferably within your own head. You don’t know anything about me. So Apple do their best at recycling etc, fine, good for them. But judging someone’s temperament just because they abhor mass consumerism and waste and aren’t afraid to say it is not ok.

18. Walrus Sep 9, 2022

I hate consumerism, now let me go drop a couple thousand on another metal watch I’ll teach them.

noelekal likes this.
  19. Scooterino36 Sep 9, 2022

Well this thread lasted almost 12 hours before going toxic, so at least it covered the Over:D

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 9, 2022

Most of the places filmed are more than 3 days away from power.
    I’m just saying.

Can see it appealing to the Apple die hard.

But like @dsio i have seen a few people at work transcend from a Apple Watch to a real watch. (Charging was always the bug bear when spoken about why the shift and nearly all still see the Apple Watch as a good thing to still have when needed)

JwRosenthal, vbrad26 and Scooterino36 like this.