Forums Latest Members
  1. AS69 Apr 25, 2024

Hello guys

I'm struggling on this decision (switching my daily between a 5513 and a speed 69) would love some input from watch lover :

Get an Apple watch
    Get an Apple watch and wear it only at the gym
    Get an Apple watch and wear it everyday

I'm struggling to project myself wearing it everyday but... if I start to wear it (first if I buy it) for the gym, better wearing it all day long no ?
    I don't know what to think and do, and again, need to discuss this topic with watch lovers haha (because everyone around me has an Apple watch and would say "buy an apple watch" they don't understand the pleasure of having a nice and 'real' watch on the wrist lol)

Thanks

2. Watch my Whisky Apr 25, 2024

Just get a Patek Philippe Nautilus

Trev, McKnife, speedb and 4 others like this.
  3. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 25, 2024

You have two wrists, no? :coffee:

Problem solved :D

rob#1, Stewart A, McKnife and 5 others like this.
  4. Aroxx Sets his watch Apr 25, 2024

I think you might run into some opposition here on wearing an Apple watch. Let me start. Don’t do it!

If you need a gym watch there must be cheaper options. I’m not a fan of Fitbit quality. All the Fitbits I’ve had crap out after like a year. But maybe Garmin or others. After trying the Fitbit thing a couple times nothing quite does it like a good old fashioned mechanical wristwatch.

noelekal likes this.
  5. AS69 Apr 25, 2024

Yessss thats my last option BUT is it a thing tho ? haha I would feel strange to wear both haha

I will look into it, but im 1 apple fan 2 i have everything apple so maybe I have to stay in the ecosystem

6. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 25, 2024

Would you ask that to Buzz? :whistling:

IMG_6449.jpeg

Or Lewis Hamilton ;) ::stirthepot::

IMG_6451.jpeg

:D

DaveK, Zman4eva and Dsloan like this.
  7. Pastorbottle Apr 25, 2024

Better still stay outta the gym….. problem solved!
    Your heart is like all machines, it’s only gonna be good for so many cycles before it’s worn out……why would you go out of your way to wear it out sooner? And in the company of other smelly sweaty blokes to boot!
    Nah if I’m gonna wear out my heart it should be in the passionate embrace of some lovely

hen and BlackTalon like this.
  8. SC1 Apr 25, 2024

Casio G-Shock or set the timer on your phone for the gym... watches don't get workouts done for you

9. sathomasga Apr 25, 2024

Perhaps you could elaborate on why you're considering an Apple Watch. Are you simply looking for something to track your gym workouts? And, if so, by gym workouts do you mean resistance training? More to the point, do you participate in any endurance training (running, cycling, swimming)? Are you looking for a watch that can provide a more holistic view of your health?

I've been an Apple Watch wearer since the original "Series 0" release and I love it. And I also love traditional watches (both mechanical and quartz). If it helps, here are some of my observations. I would be happy to elaborate if there are questions.

- No smart watch does that great a job of tracking resistance training. You're probably better off using a phone and an good set tracking app.
    - For endurance training, the Apple Watch is as good as the best Garmins, and better in many ways that all the others (Polar, Suunto, Coros). (And yes, I have used all of the above.)
    - For general health and fitness, nothing beats the Apple Watch.
    - For general smart watch functionality and convenience — provided you're in the Apple eco-system (e.g. iPhone, Apple Music not Spotify, HomeKit, ...) — it's not even close. Apple Watch can be a game changer.

As to whether the Apple Watch replaces your traditional watch, that's really up to you. It hasn't for me simply because I love my traditional watches. My current routine:

- I work from home. During the day I'm almost always wearing a traditional watch. It's a nice spark to glance at my wrist and take a moment to admire the art and engineering that went into whatever is there. (Currently it's a 1950s Delbana Chronograph.)
    - My Apple Watch Ultra tracks all my workouts. (I do race ultra-marathons and Ironman triathlons, so I have no problem justifying the Ultra over a standard Apple Watch.)
    - I wear an older Apple Watch overnight as that tracks quite a bit of useful health data (resting heart rate, heart rate variability, sleep duration, repiratory rate, temperature).
    - When traveling (which is not common for me), the Apple Watch is the only watch that travels with me. The convenience factor is way too great to pass up, and I don't have to worry about anything happening to a watch that would be much harder to replace.
    - When running errands, it depends. If I'm taking my phone with me, I'll generally wear a traditional watch. But if I want to leave my phone at home, then it's usually the Apple Watch.

AS69, Gabguzro, Valisk_61 and 2 others like this.
  10. sathomasga Apr 25, 2024

I'm guessing that's intended as a joke, but for those that are clued in, regular exercise lowers your resting heart rate.

blufinz52 likes this.
  11. reverbtime Apr 25, 2024

G-Shock or a Seiko diver are my go two pieces for the gym.

AS69 likes this.
  12. Poppyboy Apr 25, 2024

I use my Apple Watch (which is great) exclusively for running. Other than that, it’s the rotation of my mechanical watch inventory.

AS69 likes this.
  13. CBM1590 We don’t rent pigs. Apr 25, 2024

Have one and haven’t worn it except for hiking to track distance since getting back into the mechanical watch scene. It sits on my charger on my bedside table, almost always untouched. I have contemplated selling it…although the money I would get for it would only allow me to buy a few nice straps for my speedy.

14. hen Apr 26, 2024

Lewis Hamilton of suing Hamilton watches for using his name? I wouldnt take any kind of advice from that idiot.

Maddog is the only one who can wear two watches with style!
    You keep preaching the good word Pastor!

Edit: Are the apple watches like the rest of apple products? Meant to be tossed in the land fill every few years, because they cant be repaired? If so get a Leatherman instead it got many useful functions too.

Edited Apr 26, 2024
    Dal Cais likes this.
  15. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 26, 2024

When you take a joke a little too seriously :rolleyes:

Dsloan and fiberguy like this.
  16. sheepdoll Apr 26, 2024

17. hen Apr 26, 2024

Right back at you. ;)

Dsloan likes this.
  18. ErichPryde Apr 26, 2024

upload_2024-4-26_0-45-8.png

19. Pvt-Public Apr 26, 2024

Only to make up for the extra beats that were used exercising. :D:p::facepalm2::

AS69 and Pastorbottle like this.
  20. Tayne Apr 26, 2024

If you’re aiming to track distance (ran it walked) then perhaps just use the pedometer app on your smartphone.

AS69 likes this.