Forums Latest Members

Is this watch real or fake thread - aka Fake Busters!!

1. amfalconer Dec 14, 2020

The reference is correct, and I would not have concerns about it's authenticity.

The "professional moonwatch" text is not on them all and dates from I (think) 2017, likewise the concentric rings on the sundials are not on the current speedmaster dial.

Case back looks legit otherwise, it may have been polished to remove worst of those scratches, and the hippocampus looks sharp enough.

The crystal logo is very small and directly over the centre of the hand stack, hard to see with the naked eye, and without direct light, although your photos show something in this area, it's just not clear enough to make out.

Coupled with an assumed tension ring which shows a gap, this is likely an aftermarket part.

Centre seconds hand is easily adjusted, could be creep, could be misaligned from previous work, either way crystal replacement doesn't require removal of the hands.

Overall, it seems to be a legitimate watch, albeit a well worn one, does it come with any service history?

Edited Dec 14, 2020
    will-j likes this.
  2. Chef40 Dec 14, 2020

Fake commander nato from ebay. Think its a genuine buckle but 22mm instead of 20mm 20201210_205623.jpg 20201210_165919.jpg 20201210_165939.jpg 20201210_170006.jpg 20201210_165952.jpg

3. will-j Dec 14, 2020

OK, good to know that as it was the most obvious difference from the photos on the Omega site although I'd seen examples of both with and without but hard to pin it down to a date so comparing the photos for the reference number on the Omega site got me very jittery - curious why they wouldn't use a new number to reflect the change to the dial and caseback design?

Yeah, I went over it from many angles with a loupe and magnifying glass and couldn't see the logo anywhere on the crystal, pictures are from my phone so about as good as I could get them. Regarding the tension ring would one still be fitted with an Omega crystal in place just without such a gap or is the presence of the tension ring the big give away here?

There was no service history offered but to me the marks on the caseback make it look like someone has opened it at some point,

That is probably good news for the place selling it, even if it wont be me buying it! It was an online purchase from a local jewler (trying to avoid unnecessary trips out at the moment) but I returned it in person over the weekend because of the discrepencies between the picutres on the Omega site and the physical watch, coupled with the general overall condition not being what I would consider "very good with minimal signs of wear".

Thanks again though! My hunt for a Speedy will continue...

Zdzislaw likes this.
  4. amfalconer Dec 14, 2020

Probably wise, I can't state for certain that it is a tension ring, but seems like it would be.

Mine has no gap on it, and I'm assuming that in order to provide tension, it shouldn't have a gap!

In terms of the reference number I think this is the only revision, since the bracket got an upgrade, and I might be wrong, accompanies the upgrading of 2-5 years warranty

I'm not going to ask the price outright, but was it priced accordingly, or market price?

5. will-j Dec 14, 2020

I see, the bracelet was the one with the screw links and was actually in excellent condition, no marks of scuffs to the clasp etc. although the extra links in the box were missing the screws and pins. 2018 I think is when Omega upped the warranty cover to 5 years?

Regarding price I expect it would be considered high if this was a private sale, however from a jewler/dealer with a physical store it was being offered a bit below average prices for similar aged pieces on places like Chrono24 etc. but on reflection with the condition of the caseback and with the presence of a likely non Omega crystal being fitted probably a bit high. But then the price for that reference seems to be a bit all over the place at the moment, as even looking at some of the grey market dealers they are asking nearly as much as an AD would it seems.

I was buying it to wear so not too concerned if it had the odd mark as it would pick up plenty of those over time, my ~13 year old PO certainly has enough of them from near enough daily wear since purchasing it new but is currently with STS being serviced for the first time after it became erratic in the summer and its absence is what got me looking around for a Speedy having always loved the design. :)

6. rcs914 Dec 16, 2020

Chef40 likes this.
  7. pennsyl936 Dec 16, 2020

Yeah, I posted here few days prior to end of auction...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ple...t-item-s-and-seller.7699/page-96#post-1667558

rcs914 likes this.
  8. RichRox Dec 17, 2020

Can anyone help me verify if this watch is legit or not?
    It needs a little work and I don’t want to fix it if it isn’t real. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

9. Patrik83 Dec 17, 2020

Zdzislaw likes this.
  10. redpcar Dec 17, 2020

Zdzislaw likes this.
  11. Toishome Dec 17, 2020

Zdzislaw, jayhawks, Kim and 1 other person like this.
  12. aleksejeremeev Dec 17, 2020

This is a terrible copy

Zdzislaw likes this.
  13. rcs914 Dec 17, 2020

Man when was the last time you saw a modern watch of any type that didn't at least have a stainless case?? No kidding on the cheap. This is utterly TERRIBLE.

14. rcs914 Dec 17, 2020

15. homerpower Dec 18, 2020

16. rgwarden Dec 19, 2020

Hi fake busters. I'm another of those newbies who's purchased an Omega (Speedmaster Mk 40 with all the colour) and would really appreciate the forum's verification of its authenticity. My instinct would be to take it into Omega and get it serviced because that would clearly allay my fears, but right now (in tier 4!) the chances of Omega being open for business is nil, and perhaps i can get that assurance here in the meantime. I am 90% sure i have bought a genuine Omega Mk 40 from the late 1990s (purchased 1999 if the Omega card that came with it - along with the very beat up box - is also authentic).
    There seem to me to be too many details correct for it to be fake, but i guess there are people out there so intent on wrecking watch buying that they could go to these lengths. You guys know more than me. The reference on the card matches that on the caseback - is there a database where that can be checked out?, or perhaps i can match it to the numbers on the clasp, to check it has the correct bracelet to go with it? The case and its bracelet have twenty years of wear and tear on them, but healthily so, and the tritium has developed that great off white patina; that rotor wobble of the 1151 movement surprised me initially but i've read up on the 7750 wobble so that seems legit to me as well. I'm assuming taking the caseback off would really put me at ease but there's no way i trust myself to do that, so is anyone out there that could steer me more simply to a judgement? Or who would be interested in doing that? I'll happily post any pics that i'm allowed to, and answer any questions about what my ageing eyes can tell me/you, numbers etc, details.
    I've been on TZ-UK and the Rolex Forum over a number of years but i'm also one of those weirdos who's fallen out of love with Rolex and instead found myself dragged into the Omega wormhole! Truth be told i've owned a Seamaster since 2000 and it's actually been the only stable piece in all my watch forays for 20 years, so maybe i'm just coming home instead.
    Any help much appreciated. If you can help fire away.

17. redpcar Dec 19, 2020

upload_2020-12-19_14-3-9.png

kkt likes this.
  18. rgwarden Dec 19, 2020

would caseback help too, showing serial number? Is that ok to display on a forum? Or should i blur out a couple of digits? (genuine questions i don't know the form. Thanks for getting back to me.

IMG_2239.jpg
  19. rgwarden Dec 20, 2020

Did you get any verification on this? I’ve just posted a pic of mine and from what i can ‘barely’ make out of your serial number they’re very similar age, but my bezel is more bashed up. I’m of a mind to take it into Omega to get peace of mind if I can’t get much here.

20. nikolajovic Dec 24, 2020

Hello, what do you think about this Seamaster Polaris? I'm having concerns, because I've never seen serial number engraved on caseback.

IMG_20201224_205033.jpg IMG_20201224_205015.jpg IMG_20201224_205005.jpg