Is it in too bad a condition to be salvageable?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here but I have owned an OMEGA watch for a long time.

I'm not sure of its exact model. With the pictures I'm sending some may be able to identify it for me.

It belonged to my grandfather. I have a vague recollection that he bought it when I was born in 1956 to celebrate the arrival of his first grandchild and that he intended to pass it on to me one day. When he passed away, I was still too young a teenager to receive such a valuable watch... so it was my father who wore it for a while, until I became more mature... I don't remember exactly when he gave it to me but it was about 45 years ago. He too is gone now.

Over the years I had it serviced a few times at the Birks store in Montreal.

It was my daily watch until about 15 years ago, when I put it aside because I didn't find it accurate enough anymore. It still seems to work but I don't dare to use it without a very good maintenance.

On the pictures you can see unfortunately that it has suffered... probably from humidity. I hope it is not too late to put it back in good working order. I expect this maintenance to be expensive, but I just hope I can afford it...

I have no intention of selling it at all. On the contrary, I would like to pass it on to the first nephew in the family, when the spring of my life has finally come to an end...

I'm thinking of taking it to the OMEGA service center in Montreal (https://www.omegawatches.com/fr/store/storedetails/8262) when I go there for other things in a few weeks.

What do you think, is it in too bad a condition to be salvageable?
1droit.jpeg 2.0 horisontal droit.jpeg 2.1Gros plan.jpeg 3 droit.jpeg 4 droit.jpeg 5 droit.jpeg 6 droit.jpeg

From the pictures you provided, the case looks to me like a gold shell on steel case. As in two-tone. If it is a gold shell case, it should be possible to do an excellent job of bringing the original appearance. BUT, you don’t want to turn the job over to someone who will do a heavy handed job of aggressive polishing. If the finish can be brought back 50 to 75 percent (rather than made perfect). I think you would be happy with it.

@Canuck
Thank you for your answer.
Yes, it seems to be a watch with a gold shell applied to a steel case. The reading I did seems to indicate that this was a common process of OMEGA at the time it seems to have been made. One can easily see that a section (plate) of the gold covering is missing at the level of the letter "Ω" in the middle of the crown.

I don't know exactly what model it is, nor what year it was made.

I'm a little concerned about the amount of corrosion that can be seen on the back of the case as well as on the mechanism screws and their anchoring in the case.

The cost of the repair worries me a bit... I am ready to make a financial effort but my resources are still limited.

Do you think that the OMEGA service center in Montreal is the right place to have the type of maintenance and polishing you suggest?

If finances are a concern, don’t send it to Omega. If finances are a concern, hold off for a while, until such time as you will be comfortable having a first rate repair done. Your Omega has a lot of potential. It is important to have it thoroughly and competently serviced by an independent watchmaker who has an Omega parts account. It won’t be inexpensive, but it is best to have it done, right. I don’t know of anyone in Montreal.

The price calculation page of the OMEGA website (https://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/interventions-and-prices/price-calculator) indicates that a "COMPLETE SERVICE" would cost CAD$680.00 (plus taxes).

This is a price range that is correct for me. If I knew it was necessary, I could even accept to go a little higher, but certainly not beyond CAD$1000.00, that would be my limit. In fact I don't see the day when I could afford to pay much more for a repair than that.

Anyway, I have to go to Montreal in a few weeks, I guess if I take the watch to them they will be able to evaluate and tell me what it could cost to put the watch back in good condition. I will then see if I can afford it.

From a functional point of view, there’s nothing wrong with that watch that a good service wouldn’t put right. It’s very dirty and a clean up wil make a big difference.

Don’t expect it to be waterproof. Leave the case alone except for cleaning — no more polishing. Personally, I’d do my best to keep the crown, even with the wear.

You’ll be happy, I’m sure.

The reference number is 2848. I think it will clean up well with some attention by a good watchmaker. The corrosion on the case is likely to be superficial, and some of what you are seeing is just dirt. Some parts in the movement are discolored, which does not affect the functionality of the watch. However, it does suggest that there may have been some water intrusion, so some repairs and replacement parts may be needed. I think it's quite difficult to know the exact cost in advance, but I'm pretty confident that your budget will cover it.

In your place, I would feel more comfortable identifying a particular individual to work on my heirloom, instead of handing it over to the anonymous techs at the factory store.
Edited:

The story continues...
Unfortunately the story ends badly.
About four months ago I took my watch to the OMEGA service center in Montreal which had estimated the cost of the repair/cleaning at CAD $680.00, as they could not do it on the spot I authorized the shipment of the watch to the OMEGA workshops in Switzerland.

Yesterday, I received the real evaluation of the cost of the service: About CAD $1880.00. With the Canadian taxes that would be added afterwards the bill would amount to a total of about CAD $2165.00...

This is much more than I could ever afford to spend on a watch... even if it was new.

I refused the proposed services and the watch will be returned to me as it was without charge.

When I get it back, it will go to the bottom of a drawer with other memories of my past but from now on inert...

Unfortunately, you selected the absolutely most expensive option for repairing your watch. The good news is that you are getting it back without charge.

It should not be difficult to find a very good independent watchmaker who could do the work for one-third of what Omega is asking. I’m hoping someone will be able to give you a recommendation for servicing in Montreal. If not, there are at least three watchmakers in Ottawa (where I live) who could look after it.

My north suburban Chicago watchmaker would have charged me between USD $250 and 350 to clean this up. Some of our Montreal area members must have a shop they trust.

The cosmetics could be a possible money pit, but if you don’t mind that it shows some wear: Don’t give up. Cal 501s were produced in large numbers and even full spare movements without rust are available on eBay regularly for less than 200$. As stated above, a service by a watchmaker can be had for a couple hundred USD, too. I hope this’ll make it an affordable project for you - the story is certainly worth it.

@nicks, Larry S and MtV.

Thank you for your comments.

Yes I will try to follow your recommendation and look for a watchmaker around Montreal (I actually live in the "Laurentians" about 80 km from Montreal) who could perform the services my watch requires for a hopefully more reasonable cost. For the moment I have to wait for the return of the watch and the call from the Omega service center to get it back.

If anyone knows of a good local watchmaker please feel free to suggest one.

I like your watch and love your story about its family history. I'm hoping you'll have it rehab'ed (minimal cosmetics) and enjoy using it.

Please return to this thread once you sort it out and allow us to share in the watch's spiffed up glory.

@noelekal

Yes, rest assured that I will communicate the continuation of the adventure of this watch when it will happen...

@nicks, Larry S and MtV.

Thank you for your comments.

Yes I will try to follow your recommendation and look for a watchmaker around Montreal (I actually live in the "Laurentians" about 80 km from Montreal) who could perform the services my watch requires for a hopefully more reasonable cost. For the moment I have to wait for the return of the watch and the call from the Omega service center to get it back.

If anyone knows of a good local watchmaker please feel free to suggest one.
Calling @Faz ...You are local right?

Giving up is foolish...as was sending it to the mother ship in Switzerland...you were asking for bad news. Now listen to the advice you've been given here and take your watch to a local shop that has an Omega parts account and who will make a mechanical overhaul the first priority, and cleaning the case and the cosmetics the second, and third, keeping you on budget. You rushed into this, ignoring good advice, and then you gave up when you got unwelcome news. You're asking questions, listen to the answers.

@johnireland

You are completely right. But in my defense, I didn't know any competent watchmaker near or far...

I was not happy about the risk of entrusting my watch to the unknown technician of the first jewelry store... who may not be able to do more than change a strap or a battery. I had already heard horror stories of watch mechanisms being replaced by cheap modern mechanisms... I didn't want to take that risk, so in ignorance, I chose the official Omega service center.

Now, I trust that thanks to the judicious advices of the site members, I will find the right watchmaker in my area to give life to my old watch at a price I can afford.
Edited:

I think you will be happy with the results from a full, reasonably priced service from a good independent. Let us know how it goes.

Try contacting Tanner Morehouse at TM Watch Company in Fargo, North Dakota. His staff can work a miracle with that case and they can also service the movement. He'll give you an estimate up front so you can decide whether it's worth it to proceed. His firm did an amazing job restoring my Omega Seamaster 2761.
67139C71-4832-43E7-B555-9ED00598AA79.jpeg