Forums Latest Members

Very rare 18K GP HF on ebay - is it salvagable if a fair price could be negotiated?

1. Neeb May 8, 2022

I've been intrigued by this:
    Image1.jpg
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144537829217Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It's an exceedingly rare solid 18K, brown-dialed version of the GP HF 42.1 Chronometer. I don't think it's a redial because it's obviously the same model as this one, sold on Hudson Time a while back:

https://www.hudsontime.com/product-page/solid-gold-girard-perregaux-gyromatic-hf-chronometer

They state there that it's the only known example, so I guess the ebay one is the second.

The ebay one isn't quite as sharp, but it's not too bad for a solid gold case. And with some detective work (googling the serial number) I discovered that the same watch was apparently auctioned in the UK in 2019, with an estimated price of 600 - 800 GBP:

https://www.artfoxlive.com/product/2371247.html

https://www.fellows.co.uk/2316-lot-...c-wrist-watch?view=lot_detail&auction_id=9699

The condition report on the Fellow's website states the following:
    • Movement is currently functioning.
    • Movement has scratches, marks and tarnishing commensurate with general wear visible to the naked eye.
    • Dial appears to be in an average condition with some light marks and scratches when viewed under a 4x loupe.
    • Hands show marks and tarnishing when viewed under a x4 loupe.
    • Glass has noticeable scratches and marks.
    • Case shows scratches, marks and dints.
    • Crown has scratches and marks with wear to the plating. Winding action is very stiff.
    • Strap is in a poor condition with noticeable wear, marks, creasing and discolouration.
    • Buckle shows noticeable marks and scratches.
    The pictures on the auction sites are much better than the ebay ones. I think the crown isn't original and it's plated base-metal with the plating wearing off.. The crystal looks like it would be best replaced (see side-on picture on the auction site).

Of further concern is that the "Winding action is very stiff" - I read elsewhere that with this calibre this could indicate an issue that might require difficult to find replacement parts.

The thing is, I'm sort of besotted with it... How easy would it be to find a replacement crown and replacement crystal, and is the stiff winding likely to indicate an issue that a good watchmaker couldn't sort out?

This is all assuming I could negotiate the price down...

Edited May 8, 2022
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2022

I own an example of this movement in a gold-plated case.

upload_2022-5-8_8-21-30.png
    upload_2022-5-8_8-22-2.png

My watch has some of the same issues. I find that the manual wind feature gets stiff after about 20 turns of the crown, which I am told is typical for this caliber. A watchmaker may be able to diagnose an issue, but not all issues are fixable. On mine, the automatic winding continues to work and it has a decent power reserve, maybe 30-36 hours after wearing.

My watch also has the exact same issue with the crown. These were all gold-filled or plated, even on 18K cases. Your example is probably original. You can find GP signed crowns on eBay. However, finding information on which crown will fit this watch has proved far more difficult and these crowns are not cheap. So I have opted to leave it alone.

The crystal can be polished with some Polywatch and should be OK unless it is cracked. A good watchmaker should be able to source a generic replacement if necessary.

The Fellows auction site sits behind a registration wall. Would it be possible for you to post pictures to illustrate your point? I highly doubt that watch sold for £800 in 2019. The gold in the case was worth more than that.

IMO, the price is reasonable, particularly if VAT is included. If you can get it down a bit, good for you.
    gatorcpa

watchyouwant and Neeb like this.
  3. Neeb May 8, 2022

The photos on the Fellows site are the same ones as on the artforxliove site, I guess the latter is some derivative website?

I registered for the Fellows site, but the odd thing is that there is no "price realised" for the watch. Does that mean that it didn't sell, or was maybe withdrawn? If I check the catalogue for that particular auction, the watch (Lot 70) is missing from it. The ones that are still there all seem to have realised prices.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2022

Ah. I didn’t see that you posted 2 separate links. You should put a blank line in between. Fixed it for you.

The art-fox site has a broken link to Fellows. My guess it was withdrawn.
    gatorcpa

5. Neeb May 8, 2022

Have edited! The pictures are actually easier to view on the art-fox site, they can be blow-up to full size if you click and then click again on the zoom.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2022

That may be true, but the website can be taken down at any time. Once uploaded here, they can be referenced by collectors well into the future.

upload_2022-5-8_9-4-54.png
    upload_2022-5-8_9-5-49.png
    gatorcpa

Dan S likes this.
  7. Neeb May 8, 2022

Good point! Many thanks for doing that.

But you see what I mean about the crystal? It's obviously had some pretty deep scratches and been heavily polished already. Thinking that a new crystal and crown would seriously freshen it up..

I suppose another alternative would be to take the crown to a goldsmith and get it re-plated.

Another of the multiple minor things that worries me is that unlike yours, the movement isn't signed as a chronometer and adjusted to 5 positions etc.. I wonder if the movement or the bridges have been replaced. But I've seen other examples online in chronometers that aren't signed, so perhaps it's a batch thing.

8. Neeb May 8, 2022

From the ebay ad:

s-l1600b.jpg s-l1600.jpg

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2022

Your example has dual serial numbers. The first is more of a batch number, it starts with 421, which is the caliber.

The other is an ID number added for purposes of the chronometer testing. They had to be able to identify which ones passed on the certificates.

Regarding the crystal, here is the picture of my watch from the eBay listing.

upload_2022-5-8_9-43-8.png

Crystals can be successfully polished to look like new.
    gatorcpa

Neeb likes this.
  10. Neeb May 8, 2022

Edited May 8, 2022
  11. Neeb May 8, 2022

Ah! Actually there are three numbers on the Ranfft version! It's difficult to see if my example has the third number as the position it would be is hidden by the rotor in both images. But I'm convincing myself I can see the very edge of it here...

Image2.jpg

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2022

I think all 42.1 and 42.4 were chronometer rated.

I don’t think what you are showing is another serial number. It might be the “36,000 bph” marking.
    gatorcpa

Neeb likes this.
  13. Neeb May 8, 2022

You're right - although it's a pity you can't enlarge the Ranfft images, when I look closely I think I can see 36000.

14. Neeb May 10, 2022

Well, I got it for £1500.. :)

My first solid gold watch (my father's one excepted). It'll need a bit of work no doubt.

I'm continually struck by how much the various Swiss brands copied each other in the 1960s and 1970s. Look how similar this Longines Ultra Chron is to the watch I just bought. Same c-shaped case, 18K gold, dark dial, almost identical hands. And it's also a 36000 bph automatic movement..

15. wrist time May 10, 2022

It's possible both companies were buying parts from the same suppliers.

16. Neeb May 10, 2022

I think the parts are different - they're just very similar.

The movements at least are mostly completely different between brands - unlike with many modern watches.

17. Neeb Sep 25, 2022

Finally got this serviced! I also found a NOS GP gold-filled crown that fits (a long and tortuous process..).

IMG_5482.JPG

IMG_5483.JPG
    The dial is something special. From a distance it just looks vaguley chocolate-brown, but under magnification it is revealed to be splatter-finished in a range of reddish and yellow colours. The midline of the hands is actually reddish-purple. Difficult to see here, but the hour markers are "steppped" at the sides. All very 70s. I'm amazed at the detail it was thought to be worth including, as much of it is below the resolution of the unaided human eye.

DSC05437.jpg

D YOUNG, Mafkees, SadKen and 2 others like this.