I can't get my watch from not fogging.

Hello

My father got me an older Omega that I just can't get to stop fogging. I have taken it to two watch shops and they both said they changed the gaskets and I should be set, both times it still fogged.

I opened it up to find no gaskets at all. I did buy some but I can't seem to figure out if one even belongs.

Any idea what I can do to stop the constant fogging?

20240930_114135.jpg

20240928_204302.jpg

First of all, find a more honest watchmaker. But also have realistic expectations. You will probably need a new crown, and even then the watch may not be totally watertight.

Go to a competent watchmaker

Go to a competent watchmaker
First of all, find a more honest watchmaker. But also have realistic expectations. You will probably need a new crown, and even then the watch may not be totally watertight.
I'm not putting it in water at all, it's just getting foggy by me going outside and walking after it has already rained.

I wish I knew a good watch maker in my area. I live in NJ and most people take their stuff to NYC (which I really don't want to do).

That crown is definitely not original to the watch and I suspect that it's part of the problem. Unfortunately, the original crown is no longer available, but a competent watchmaker should be able to find a suitable replacement that works. The seals need to be replaced and the crystal may need to be replaced as well. Then the watch needs to be pressure tested. If it passes, that should cure the fogging issue. I'll PM you with some suggestions for watchmakers.

Looks like a nice example. It’s worth spending a bit of money to get it serviced and more resistant to moisture

As gbesq mentioned. Incorrect crown may not be sealing tube. Replace crystal. Gaskets as needed

One of the case clamp screws is incorrect, but not sure which one. Top is smaller than bottom, but usually they have wider heads, so guessing the top one is wrong

All such great feedback. I'm very new to the watch collecting hobby. I have always loved Omega (and Patek when I hit the lottery).

Anyone know if there are Omega watchmaking courses open to the public?

All such great feedback. I'm very new to the watch collecting hobby. I have always loved Omega (and Patek when I hit the lottery).

Anyone know if there are Omega watchmaking courses open to the public?
Any watch making course will do. Manual wind movements are pretty much the same. Auto from around that time period ate different, so getting used to a variety of designs take a little time.

Check out YouTube videos and practise with cheap movements

If you want to learn watchmaking practice on working complete fully functional and accurate timed movements such as those from the DIY watch club. Like the NH35 or comparable ETA movement.

Working with old trashed movements often leads to frustration. Although such can be rewarding when it starts to work. Not all that cost effective. Such are useful for learning how to remove replace screws. And what order to disassemble things. How to find parts what fly across the room.

If the watch is not keeping time to start, it is hard to learn where the faults are. Starting with something working, and experimenting with adding faults, correcting the known fault, helps to learn what to look for. Otherwise it is easy to correct the wrong fault and make things worse.

If possible learn from a person in house. Books and you tube videos are more for entertainment or refresher info. How to sit, the height of the workspace, how to hold posture for hours on the end without fatigue, really needs a mentor to show what one is incorrect, and how to correct these movements.

Supposedly the world is loosing 1000 watchmakers a year. So there are plenty of opportunities to learn. If one is in the US or UK , there is the AWI and BHI which have courses.

Many though are looking for younger people to train, who do not have preconceptions. Ideally someone who can work for 30 years or so. Traditionally the industry was built on low wage semi skilled labor, what was trained using efficiency methods to maximize throughput.

In this era with laser cutting, 3D printing and accessible design software, there are some interesting ways of replicating parts/fixtures.

Other than the wrong crown, that is a VERY nice example of a cursive Geneve. Both the dial and the case look almost untouched and that is rare. They aren't easy to find in this condition and a good watchmaker should be able to put it into excellent working condition. If you're interested in becoming a serious collector of vintage Omega, this watch is a good starting point. I have one myself.

Hello

My father got me an older Omega that I just can't get to stop fogging. I have taken it to two watch shops and they both said they changed the gaskets and I should be set, both times it still fogged.

I opened it up to find no gaskets at all. I did buy some but I can't seem to figure out if one even belongs.

Any idea what I can do to stop the constant fogging?

20240930_114135.jpg

20240928_204302.jpg
Firstly, as others have already mentioned, the crown is not correct and it may not be sealing against the case tube properly allowing vapours from body perspiration (especially on the wrist during a warmer day) to creep in. The other issue may be if case tube may not be in good condition as it could have some corrosion, so regardless of correct crown or not, will not help either as seal in crown will have a leak for moisture entry!. Some dress watches like the jumbo 37mm did not even have a case tube from ones I have dismantled.

From the image you have posted, this appears to be a (dress watch) snap in back case lid which may need a new back seal if it was designed to accomodate one! I had a similar problem with a 37mm Lanco vintage dress watch where I have used a touch of Fomblin grease (or even molykote will suffice) around the edge of the case lid ( as it did not come out with a back seal) just before closing the lid (after having replaced the case tube, tight fit crown seal and a new crystal). This resolved the problem where no fogging showed up anymore even on a very hot Australian outback day! If you have the skills to do it yourself, you can give it a try ,else as others have suggested go to a reputable COMPETENT watch smith!
Edited: