Forums Latest Members

The 'Just signed in to get my watch valued' - thread

1. chronos Apr 2, 2016

Let's make this the ultimate newbie FAQ thread in which we answer all the question popping up daily.

I just wonder why we don't have a stickied thread in which we answer all the question for the newbies who just sign up in order to get their watch identified and valued and who aren't ever seen actively ever since.
    It could be some kind of a F.A.Q. so we don't have to bother telling all those people each and every day the same thing. And they don't need to sign in and ask the same questions over and over again - Win - win!

What do you think about it @Mods?

The thread might look similar to like this:

- how do I find out more about the model?

-> take it to a watchmaker and let him open the caseback. On the inside, you will find the reference number and additional information about the model.
    Now google the ref.-number or try omegas database:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/de/planet-omega/heritage/vintage/ sometimes you'll have to add a 0 after the period, e.g. 111.046 = 111.0046

- How can I open my watch? Should I use pliers?
    -> NO, don't even think about it! Bring your watch to a watchmaker who will open it for little or no money. Now take pictures of the inside of the caseback and of the movement.
    And no, a jeweller isn't a watchmaker...

- The caseback of my grandfather's Omega is blank on the outside. Does this mean it is a fake?
    -> Nope, not necessarily.

- the local Omega boutique told me that my grandfather's watch is worth a fortune, at least a couple of ten thousands of USD. Can you help me out with assessing the value of my watch?
    Before you ask such a question, please make sure you found the reference number on the inside of your caseback. Then look up completed sales on ebay in order to get an idea.

*... please add some more F.A.Q.s my dear fellow members*

As I'm a relatively new member myself, I don't assume I might be the best one to create such a thread all alone. So please help out with more F.A.Q. and their answers!
    If we feel the thread might be complete, someone might create a stickied FAQ thread.
    Many thanks!

OMGRLX likes this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 2, 2016

– Wouldn't it be more efficient to just ask the experts, and forego the time consuming pre-research?
    –> Do you value your testicles?

OMGRLX, efauser and chronos like this.
  3. chronos Apr 2, 2016

@Tony C. : you need to write down the answers as well. :p

4. cristos71 Apr 2, 2016

I don't really mind those threads as long as the poster is polite and courteous. We get to see lots of "as found" watches, ok it's true most of the time they are gold plated Geneve's and the such like, one small step away from the knackers yard, but still there remains the possibility that once in a while a gem will surface here on OF.

It is also human nature to always look for shortcuts and hope on the brightside. I agree these days it seems that some of these "one posters" treat the members here as they would Google, question after question with not so much gratitude. But still nobody has to answer the inquiries and as there are sooooo many references, some very similar, in the Omega back catalogue I can imagine it is quite daunting for a noob who thinks he's hit paydirt with that "rare" non running, water damaged, gold filled, hand winding 1970s Geneve.

OMGRLX, MK1965, TNTwatch and 3 others like this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 2, 2016

The "sign-in for value posters" will never read the the sticky and the time of answering their posts and telling them where to read will be fruitless and require even more time from the membership.

ulackfocus and RawArcher like this.
  6. chronos Apr 2, 2016

Yeah you're probably right about that...

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 2, 2016

You could have helped 17 with the effort you just used. ;)

OMGRLX likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Apr 2, 2016

One absolute that I've learned in my time as a watch forum moderator: n00bs don't read the stickies until they've already posted a thread and been lambasted by the regular members for not reading the stickies.

OMGRLX likes this.