I am not selling again on eBay

So I listed a watch on eBay a month ago at a reasonable fixed price, and a nice guy bought it. The sale and delivery went through without a hitch, and I got great feedback.

But get this. I sold the watch for USD 900. What went into my account from eBay was USD 573. Do the math – over 36% down.

About 11% of that was for taking eBay’s promotional deal, which gives your item prominence. Another 10% was Australian Goods and Services Tax, which they deduct automatically for the Australian government.

The remaining 15% was eBay’s standard fees.

It all adds up, guys and dolls.

If I had sold the watch through any one of a number of local auction houses (who only charge me 11% because I am a regular), the hammer price would probably be less than 900, because most auction houses do not list watches with the same detailed images or descriptions that you and I can on eBay.

But I would definitely have done better through a local auction house than this eBay result. So no more eBay selling for me.

So I listed a watch on eBay a month ago at a reasonable fixed price, and a nice guy bought it. The sale and delivery went through without a hitch, and I got great feedback.

But get this. I sold the watch for USD 900. What went into my account from eBay was USD 573. Do the math – over 36% down.

About 11% of that was for taking eBay’s promotional deal, which gives your item prominence. Another 10% was Australian Goods and Services Tax, which they deduct automatically for the Australian government.

The remaining 15% was eBay’s standard fees.

It all adds up, guys and dolls.

If I had sold the watch through any one of a number of local auction houses (who only charge me 11% because I am a regular), the hammer price would probably be less than 900, because most auction houses do not list watches with the same detailed images or descriptions that you and I can on eBay.
I'm
But I would definitely have done better through a local auction house than this eBay result. So no more eBay selling for me.

So, the buyer was in Australia ? 10% Gst is payable by the buyer for importing . So, the buyer pays eBay $ 990 instead of your 900 . And they deduct that for the tax office. Therefore: You as a seller get your $ 900 minus eBay 15% and minus promo 11% . You don't pay the Australian import tax. Check again or complain to eBay.

I've been happy selling on the forums here and on Reddit. I don't think I am interested in selling on Ebay much anymore.

eBay is a great place to buy if you have the knowledge to separate the junk from the gems, but I agree that it's not a great place to sell. The fees are high and eBay almost always resolves disputes in favor of the buyer. I prefer OF or C24. If you price your watches reasonably, I tend to find that they sell pretty quickly on C24 since most listings tend to be overpriced by at least 20%.
Edited:

Definitely not the place to sell low value watches, with the 15% final value fee under $1k.

So, the buyer was in Australia ? 10% Gst is payable by the buyer for importing . So, the buyer pays eBay $ 990 instead of your 900 . And they deduct that for the tax office. Therefore: You as a seller get your $ 900 minus eBay 15% and minus promo 11% . You don't pay the Australian import tax. Check again or complain to eBay.

You are right. I am in Australia and the buyer in the US. So where did that extra 10% come from? What the price was and what I received from eBay is still 36% different. I have no faith in chasing it with eBay - I will just get the runaround. They have lost me and that is it.

Did u use paypal? Paypal fees plus bad conversion/exchange rates could add to the missing 10%.

Did u use paypal? Paypal fees plus bad conversion/exchange rates could add to the missing 10%.

No. eBay pays direct to your bank account. The exchange rate was about right. So the missing 10% is still a mystery.

I quit a couple of years ago. If I list in the .nl site visibility is low. If I list on the .co.uk site I'm paying hefty exchange fees.

I only sell watch parts on ebay anymore. The last time I sold a watch I about spit my coffee out when I saw how little I recieved.

I still sell some stuff there. I just sold a seamaster bracelet - listed for $600, sat for 6 months, accepted an offer for $500, and got deposit of $424 when all was said and done.

It's convenient, but that comes with a cost for sure.
Edited:

I only ever sell sub-$200 on ebay. At that low end, you don't often get people that want to return / refund / complain either like you can at the luxe end of the spectrum. And if you do get one - issue the refund and block them. No great loss.

I often buy bulk lots looking for overlooked gems. Amongst the dross (and it's 90% dross) are often a handful of decent budget pieces- Vintage Timex, Swiss Army Quartz, that kind of stuff. They sell for 40-50 bucks a pop and the 25-30 I get after ebay fees help fund the next bulk buy.

It has been a while since I sold anything.

Mostly the stuff I would like to sell has no real value. Which is why I want to sell it.

I also mostly purchace parts and bulk lots. One lot seller did block me. Their loss. I would have bought other things had I known what was shown in the photo would not be the item received. I did not want the refund. I wanted them to correct the listings and make it clear that they are getting an equivelent part. (which they seemed to do.)

Wonder what I could get for "Rusty broken worn out Valljoux chronograph parts -- only good for art projects.?"

Mostly the stuff I would like to sell has no real value. Which is why I want to sell it.

I also mostly purchace parts and bulk lots. One lot seller did block me. Their loss. I would have bought other things had I known what was shown in the photo would not be the item received. I did not want the refund. I wanted them to correct the listings and make it clear that they are getting an equivelent part. (which they seemed to do.)

Wonder what I could get for "Rusty broken worn out Valljoux chronograph parts -- only good for art projects.?"

Asking for a seller to correct a listing - or even asking for a credit / refund for a legitimate reason is fine. I was speaking more to the types that are obviously looking to get a post-purchase discount.

For the parts - look for someone selling watch part art projects on Etsy and reach out to them off-platform for a private sale. Might not make much money but it's better than just binning them.

There is someone in our local NAWCC chapter who makes jewelry from old movements and parts and sells it online and at a storefront at the local Renaissance Fair. She covers it in some sort of resin.

I’ll only sell within the Continental US because I don’t want myself or the buyer to deal with any of these surprising fees.

Perhaps the missing 10% of your transaction is included here..

"EBay gross profit for the twelve months ending December 31, 2023 was $7.279B, a 2.3% increase year-over-year. EBay annual gross profit for 2023 was $7.279B, a 2.3% increase from 2022"

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/EBAY/ebay/gross-profit
With these kind of profits, you would think that they could do a better job of curbing scams and the listing and sale of counterfeit goods. Most of the time when I report an item that is clearly counterfeit I receive a form email that essentially says “we checked it out and it’s all good.” 😡

Bought some amazing gems there (takes lot's of research). But, fees there as a seller are crazy.

Doing the math.

It looks like you sold it for $900AUD which equivalent to $590US
Edited: