Forums Latest Members

I am not going to buy Apollo 11, 50th ann. So: Two possibilities—help needed

1. FinWatch Sep 15, 2019

Even though I can understand that people love the new LE Apollo 11, 50th Ann. Moonwatch, it’s not for me. The Mooning Astronaut is something that ruins the watch for me. And all the gold around, just too much. I tried the watch once. I have the possibility to get one from my AD once it arrives, but I’ll let my friend to buy that watch.

Just too many Speedmaster options......

I would like to get something special, I have now two options at the moment. I am struggling between two Speedmasters:
    1. Speedmaster Apollo 8
    2. Speedmaster with leather strap, sapphire sandwich

Please share your thoughts&experiences on these two options (at this time).

0489C057-8A4A-44EB-A068-BF72604F9466.jpeg 16BD69BB-394C-4D3E-965D-EF8D6D56D051.png
    befobe likes this.
  2. OmegaBHR Sep 15, 2019

Depends, is this going to be your only Speedmaster? If so then I would get the classic moonwatch, if not then the DSOM A8 is awesome and the classic you can get down the line.

3. vienna Sep 15, 2019

Although the Apollo 8 looks nice I would take the Classic. Personally I prefer a clean dial. I don’t like to see parts of the movement on the dial but a sapphire back is nice.

Kind regards Max

4. weimi1 Sep 15, 2019

If, as written in other forums, the prices rise from October I would ever access the classic

FinWatch likes this.
  5. stevec14 Sep 15, 2019

I would go Apollo with no doubt. It’s a special piece and very different as part of a collection.

FinWatch likes this.
  6. Evitzee Sep 15, 2019

I own all three of the watches mentioned. I would describe them as follows:
    1. Apollo 11 50th - Elegant homage
    2. DSOTM Apollo 8 - Tech flashy
    3. Classic Speedmaster - Tool

You have ruled out the Apollo 11, but I personally think it is the most compelling of the three. The Apollo 8 is in the larger ceramic case with very innovative dial and movement treatment, you either like it or not. It's a very comfortable watch on your wrist and looks the part. It's also about 50% more expensive than a sapphire sandwich.

The standard moonwatch (hesalite or sapphire) is the quintessential tool watch. Recognizable from afar, it serves its purpose. It's a classic.

If you are only going to have one Speedmaster than I'd go for the classic edition, if it is part of series of Speedmasters in your collection I'd go for Apollo 8.

If you want the leather strap classic version, and are buying from an AD, I would buy the bracelet version which is just a $100 more, and then ask the dealer to include a leather strap and Omega deployant buckle as part of the deal. Most dealers will do this and it gives you more flexibility and will make the watch easier to sell down the road. Even if you figure you'll never sell it you never know, times and tastes change.

dslloyd, befobe and FinWatch like this.
  7. FinWatch Sep 15, 2019

Wow!!! Congrats for owning all the three mentioned here!!

8. GMTspeedmaster Sep 15, 2019

apollo 8 for me

FinWatch likes this.
  9. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Sep 15, 2019

if u can pull it off the apollo 8 go for it.

it is only 49mm L2L so that makes it more wearable for a 44/45mm watch..i say that with a grain of salt because it's smaller than fricker cases. those you need to have bigfoot or steve garvey arms to rock one.

i can rock a 49mm L2L because i have a flat 7 wrist. but it's not optimal and i prefer smaller.

FinWatch likes this.
  10. Martin_J_N Sep 15, 2019

I cannot make my mind up about the Apollo 8, I love the idea, it looks great on my wrist but I struggle to see the hands my eye is drawn to the yellow chrono hand, so my money is on the Moonwatch.

rominvicta and FinWatch like this.
  11. kelsey Sep 15, 2019

My Apollo 8 arrived a few days ago, and that would be my choice, definitely.
    I’m waiting on a solid moonshine gold 50th :) I was looking forward to the announcement of the steel version but yeah same as you it didn’t do it for me, so for money I went the Apollo 8 instead.
    Again love the Apollo 8 it’s such a different speedy but in a very good way.

FinWatch likes this.
  12. Mahlerfan5 Sep 15, 2019

The sapphire sandwich has a vintage charm that the Apollo 8 lacks, for sure. The Apollo 8 is also much less legible. I have to focus for a second or two each time I look down at the dial to find the hour and minute hands. But it's a watch with (literal) depth to it. The dial is like a moon canyon. And if you are the type that hates getting scratches on your watch, the Apollo 8 will always look brand new unless you smash it against something.

FinWatch likes this.
  13. lustrousaurus Sep 15, 2019

I put a blind deposit down for the Apollo 11. The anticipation killed it for me and when it was revealed, I still wasn't sure. I chose to transfer that deposit into an Apollo 8 and I do not regret it at all. I love the manual wind calibers that stay true to the Moonwatch. Being part of the Dark Side collection, I feel like this is the an appropriate tribute to Apollo 8. This is also coming from the guy who got "bored" of the Moonwatch case so I wanted something a little different but still Speedmaster.

FinWatch likes this.
  14. Toubias06 Sep 16, 2019

Apollo 8 Sir :)

FinWatch likes this.
  15. Japanred Sep 16, 2019

Apollo 8 no doubt. The classic is too plain and very average in my mind.

FinWatch likes this.
  16. lindo Sep 16, 2019

I am biassed in this - I bought a new classic sapphire sandwich a month ago and just love it.

dslloyd and FinWatch like this.
  17. rob#1 Sep 16, 2019

Go for the classic. Or wait for the Apollo 13 50th...

FinWatch likes this.
  18. FinWatch Sep 16, 2019

Black horse.....

BFA6B3AD-E6A9-4FFF-90D6-680417F979F3.png
    Japanred likes this.
  19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 16, 2019

1. Classic Speedy Pro, non-sandwich. Never understood the need to have the movement visible from the back since you can't see it when you're wearing it.
    2. Your black horse
    3. Everything else

robinhook, kkt and FinWatch like this.
  20. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 16, 2019

(not to hijack the thread but) that is kindof why I don't get (nor will I pay) the premium on certain 'special caseback' models of said watch...

Evitzee, FinWatch and efauser like this.