Forums Latest Members
  1. sheepdoll Aug 16, 2022

For some reason every time I view this listing It makes me feel good.
    Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 4.55.59 PM.png
    Yet everything about it is wrong. The case is the wrong size for my dial. (but I would rather have the smaller watch) The buckle seems to be the wrong color and the screw down ring that hold the band on in the back is missing.

I thought there was a general ebay thread. Started to post in the ebay recommended thread then noticed the not for inquiries.

I could probably scrounge up a movement. I might pull one from an American cased watch. (Horror horror, but the case is crappy.) With the smaller case I would need a decent dial and hands.

Another option would be to find a case for my cracked dial. I lowballed a few auctions this week. (which I am sort of relieved I lost as the old gambler's adage states, the next one will be better.)

It is not like I do not have 18 chronographs, and probably half a dozen speedmasters to play with once I get the Saffette back into it's case. 6 of the landeron 48s chronographs are naked. There is a naked lemania that wants one of the Venus cases which means the Venus 170 wants new clothes (although is destined for a parts movement.)

The rusty valjoux watch wants to tick again as well.

And the poor Venus 203 triple date moon. I low balled a swiss case with an outrageous price. Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.22.37 PM.png
    (But I already have a dial.)
    What am I missing here? Translated the listing and it says the watch is broken the watch is broken the watch is broken.
    The seller could not have even seen the offer as it was rejected as soon as I clicked.

Why is it we always want the part we do not have, and never seem to be satisfied with the stuff we do have?

-j

2. watchlovr Aug 17, 2022

If it’s just ladies dynamic straps you need, I’ve got several nos ones, with buckles attached.

felsby, Benbradstock and noelekal like this.
  3. sheepdoll Aug 17, 2022

I have a gents dynamic dial which I posted in another thread. This got me interested in the design. The dial is cracked. I probably should take it out of the bag for a better photograph.

I missed out on the ladies dynamic eBay auction. But I am seriously thinking of the one in the OP if it remains available for a few weeks. There is a gents case somewhere in central or south America that is also available, but I am hesitant to just rush into this project. This dial is a bit over30mm which is quite large. I think the cases are over 40.

There is just something about this design that makes me feel good. The crack really does not bother me now. I looked through my 'dust' to see if I could find any other parts. This is going to be a long term project and will have to wait until I can access the marketplace or find a way to trade about some of the extra watches I have. I really do have 18 Omega watches and parts for half a dozen more.

-j

IMG_1945 copy.png

4. sheepdoll Aug 17, 2022

AcKK! I just won this auction. (said I was addicted.) Soon I will have 3 more omegas for my watch farm. Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 10.37.00 AM.png
    Been following these for a few days. Really thought these would go for a lot more. Been missing out on similar goodwill single ladies watches (those are auctions are even more insane as people are bidding early and high) How can one resist 3 for the price of one.

Still wanting a dynamic with that mod 60s look.

-j

5. wagudc Aug 17, 2022

There are some definite advantages to being a woman. It is hard for me to tell from that photo, but they look to be in very descent condition. I have not had much fun looking for men's watches on ebay lately. A lot of junk out there. You will have to share some nice picture after they arrive.

6. sheepdoll Aug 17, 2022

I really need to clean off piano roll copy stand. Then perhaps I can get some decent photos. Now I have an excuse to get it cleaned off.
    Command-R is just too seductive and then it only takes a moment to airdrop a photograph from the phone. Like this one ...
    IMG_3359.png
    And yes, I like cameras too. Most of those came from ebay as well.

-j

7. RevZMan123 Aug 17, 2022

Same here, I've been fighting over parts and boxes to kickstart my junk collection. Happy bidding.

sheepdoll likes this.
  8. wagudc Aug 17, 2022

@sheepdoll you may want to add "Certina Revelation" to your search.

[​IMG]

bardamu, Matty01, felsby and 4 others like this.
  9. sheepdoll Aug 17, 2022

Not sure such a watch would feel comfortable on an Omega watch ranch. I do have some wild Baylors, Benruses, and Elgin weeds, which can be attractive when they bloom. Of course I keep chronographs the way some do chickens (Landerons, Venuses and Valoux.)

Now if I could only find a way to evict the Bulovas and the waltham weeds.

-j

RevZMan123 and noelekal like this.
  10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 17, 2022

Weeds need love too!

Stick 'em up here. We'll look at all of 'em.

11. sheepdoll Aug 17, 2022

The bulovas? Probably a good week to go before I can do some proper watch hearding.

(I did get the eBay refund from the scammed watch part today, But I did not want the refund. I wanted the sealed watch item.)
    -j

noelekal and wagudc like this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 19, 2022

Certainly the fact you can repair them yourself makes it a very attractive proposition. I like the look of the one on the left, will certainly be curious to see more pics once you get them.
    Congrats!

Spruce likes this.
  13. sheepdoll Aug 19, 2022

So the first watches of my weekend eBay binge arrived today. Well one was a goodwill special, I have a soft spot for Baylor.

I am really impressed the way the 480 movement was packed, I was even running when I took it off the foam to photograph the movement. The dial looks surprisingly good. This was a sort of impulse buy at 18USD. I wanted to see if I could bid in the last few seconds. Finding a case for this will be a challenge, unless I see something with a wrecked movement. There are import marks on the bridge, so this probably was in an American case.

Have a bunch of spare parts for this caliber, so I have wanted this for a while. Not that my collection is not comprehensive already.

-j

IMG_1985 copy.png IMG_1980 copy.png

noelekal and RevZMan123 like this.
  14. RevZMan123 Aug 19, 2022

I binged pretty hard myself. Won 5 out of 6 and I was dumb for not bidding to win #6. Lol

Here's my first pull ... I am apparently working on a 1-jewel Baumgartner BFG 866.

PXL_20220819_212550303.jpg PXL_20220819_183921849.PORTRAIT.jpg
  15. sheepdoll Aug 21, 2022

IMG_1998 copy.png
    The're here.

I think I got my monies worth. The bags are from the UK, was like a 1 pound bid plus shipping. They really are used watch parts. Probably as close to a PO that I will get. Half a wristband. Actually the stems seem good. Two of the three watches are missing stems. I think I found one stem in my collection for the 455. The others are nice 681 and 684 movements.

These probably deserve threads of their own, But I will put a sneak peak here. May be a while before I actually get to them to work on. I removed those nasty stretchy spidel bands. I still have in mind to lasercut some custom bands for these.

Watch #1 is a real beauty. It wants to run stem is missing, but I may have a 455 stem in my spare parts.
    IMG_1989 copy.png
    IMG_1991 copy.png

Watch #2 does not have a family name. A really nice high grade 684 movement. No real marks on the bridge and no family name. Surprisingly high serial number. 41556408 which are ironically San Francisco bay area phone area codes. This is the watch the seller could not open. The stem is snapped off. Someone probably though it was a 2 part stem. I do not have any marked stems for this caliber family. Not sure how easy it would be to trapes through the unmarked loose stems
    IMG_1995 copy.png
    IMG_1994 copy.png

Watch #3 seamaster This is the roughest of the three. Does have a stem and crown, does not want to run. Seconds hand is snapped off. IMG_1997 copy.png
    IMG_1996 copy.png

-j

16. sheepdoll Aug 21, 2022

It gets worse.

And will not solve the problem of that cracked Geneve Dynamic dial I have.

So one of the mod Geneve dynamics came up for auction this evening. From Moldova. Was not sure I was going to get it for a lower price as these are going unsold for 240USD. May take a while to get here. The tour guide on the old horological trips was Romanian. I remember in my ignorance starting the lecture on Frankenstein (the book) That Transylvania was a fictionalized name Hollywood used in place of Switzerland. The country that boarders the Grand Duchy of Fenwick on one side and Vulgaria on the other. I was quickly corrected.

The seller seems to have a decent rating.

Now I am going to need a green bracelet with silver buckle. And probably a crystal...

Burnout? What Burnout. Or is it the others here that are at the point of burnout?

-j

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 8.51.59 PM.png

Spruce, RevZMan123 and noelekal like this.
  17. sheepdoll Aug 26, 2022

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 4.06.01 PM.png

I could not resist. It should fit one of my way too many chronographs. If not I have 5 lathes ...

-j

RevZMan123 and Spacefruit like this.
  18. sheepdoll Aug 28, 2022

I could not resist. Saw this come up for bid with one minute remaining while waiting for the things with springs chat. So I sniped it. s-l1600_snoop.jpg

If it is not a pin lever I will be most surprised.

-j

RevZMan123, noelekal, Vitezi and 2 others like this.
  19. sheepdoll Sep 2, 2022

IMG_2043 copy.png
    Some of the stuff from last weekends binge arrived today. I have been experimenting with my photo stand to see if I can get some decent watch photographs. I really need to charge up the Gieger counter. I know it works as I tested it on a chronograph dial.

I bought the minerva as I was wanting a parts movement for the watch I got a dial for last week. Of course I did not do my homework and this is not one of the valjoux movements. (they sometimes use Valjoux.) Well I wanted a complete rattrapante, and this certantly fits the bill. On the other hand I still have 3 or 4 stopwatch timers that need work...

The case is a bit small for the Landeron's. Might fit one of the Venus 170s.

-julie

noelekal likes this.
  20. sheepdoll Sep 7, 2022

Taking a break from watchmaking, Because Snoopy is here!!!
    IMG_3394.png
    Of course I could not resist opening the back:

IMG_3395.png
    Looks like a decent one jeweled movement, With a KIF shock spring too. I may have more of this sort of pin lever stuff. Sometime I should post my favorite pin lever.

The movement only runs for a few seconds, so it could use a good cleaning. Will have to wait until after the rusty watches. The band was shortened a bit as well, (But it does fit.) I seem to have managed to go a week without an eBay purchase. (I seem to have depleted my online account. Which is probably the best way to cure an eBay addiction.)

Still waiting for the Moldavian watch, what started this thread, that has always had a delivery date at the end of the month. Sometimes I think they delay shipping so you will make more purchases (like that Minerva rattrapante, that was not really what I wanted.)

-j

apsm100, wagudc and noelekal like this.