How durable are vintage Omegas?

Forgive the general title - I just couldn’t think of a better one.

I’ve just bought a Seamaster (my ‘second’ technically after I returned my first due to not educating myself beforehand properly) from @seekingseaquest. It’s a lovely watch, ref 2849 so therefore a calendar with 503 movement. I plan to wear this watch daily alongside my Omega Speedmaster date (the movement is a dressed up Valjoux 7750) which I have worn daily for the past five years or so. I am also looking to buy a 167.005 Constellation, and that’ll have a 551 movement; this will go into my rotation to be worn regularly too.

I wear my Speedy everywhere, I cycle (commuting) in it, I go to bars and parties etc, to see shows (so clapping) and have not had any issues with it, other than two free regulations (by Omega) over these five years. Do I need to take any precautions with this new vintage watch and/or avoid wearing it for certain things as it’s more delicate? For what it’s worth, the speedy does not label itself anywhere as being shockproof.

Like 2
You’ll be fine for daily wear as long as you’re not doing anything crazy. I’d just say keep away from water activities. Plenty of people here have “beaters” that they strap on as alternatives..

Like 3
Be sensible about rain, perspiration and water in general …

Like 5
A 50 (or so) year-old vintage watch might be said to be 30, 40, 50, 60 % “used up”. That means that it’s remaining life expectancy on your wrist is significantly reduced, in my view. How fast do you want to use up what’s left? The more you wear it, the faster you’ll use up what’s left. You be the judge!

Like 2
A 50 (or so) year-old vintage watch might be said to be 30, 40, 50, 60 % “used up”. That means that it’s remaining life expectancy on your wrist is significantly reduced, in my view. How fast do you want to use up what’s left? The more you wear it, the faster you’ll use up what’s left. You be the judge!
Good point. Most of us don’t wear vintage watches as daily “beaters”…

I plan to wear this watch daily alongside my Omega Speedmaster date...

On the same wrist? Or one on each wrist?

Like 6
If the vintage watch is freshly serviced with all worn parts replaced, a 503 should be good, but servicing perhaps every three years might be a good idea. Because no one Omega out of ten of them ever get more than three to five days on the wrist before I change to another, or one of the non-Omega, I have a longer service interval. I have a WatchCo Seamaster 300 that, at its last service, had quite a few parts replaced. Five years later, because it is one of my favorites, I had my watchmaker inspect it, and although there was plenty of oil in the pivots, he did notice some wear that needed to be addressed now, because the part is exchange-only.

When these watches were new, they were worn every day but they were serviced frequently to compensate. It's just part of the deal with mechanical watches, and because watchmakers are few these days, finding one you can trust is harder. I'm blessed that I found a local watchmaker who is not only younger than I am but very skilled.

Like 1
Not an Omega, but it's still well working since 1923.

longines 1923 (18) (1).jpg

Worn often but away from water

Like 6
Not an Omega, but it's still well working since 1923.

longines 1923 (18) (1).jpg

Worn often but away from water

Is it safe to wear while clapping?

to see shows (so clapping)

Like 1

Why poke fun at someone new to vintage watches who is open to learning?

Like 1
I feel this is a valid point due to the force exerted by something like clapping. Do it and notice how much your watch moves around on your wrist - my Speedy certainly does, and it’s more pronounced as it sits quite proud of my wrist.

So it generally seems that the advice is to wear away from water - well, that’s fine for me, as the only time I wear a watch either in or near water is my cheap Swatch which is my true ‘beater’ watch. I’d hardly consider a watch worn daily to be a beater unless it’s truly abused.

I've had watches of great vintage for decades that do not have shock protection and I haven't broken one yet, nor do I expect to, unless there is some situation where one falls on a tile floor.

I have broken a glass crystal, though.

Like 1
So it generally seems that the advice is to wear away from water - well, that’s fine for me, as the only time I wear a watch either in or near water is my cheap Swatch which is my true ‘beater’ watch. I’d hardly consider a watch worn daily to be a beater unless it’s truly abused.
Yep that’s a good plan. And I agree with the above that as long as you don’t drop the watch or slam your wrist you should be fine. Hope to see your new Seamaster soon too :thumbsup:

I've had watches of great vintage for decades that do not have shock protection and I haven't broken one yet, nor do I expect to, unless there is some situation where one falls on a tile floor.

And the OP watch is obviously shock-protected.

Yes and while boxing too. :p

Anyway I normally wear it on my motorcycle

Like 1

Well, the hands actually fell off the arm whilst I was clapping at a show wearing this. Always grateful to @ChrisN for sorting it out

832C6A98-0E38-43A5-B911-233626428B7F.jpeg

Like 3
Well, the hands actually fell off the arm whilst I was clapping at a show wearing this. Always grateful to @ChrisN for sorting it out

Must have been a great performance. ;)

Like 4

Were you at Covent Garden? Or is that just a pic for show. I go all the time!

Like 1