Forums Latest Members

Just how durable is IWC's RC coating?

1. blubarb Jun 14, 2019

Just how durable is IWC's RC coating?

IWC XVIII Le Petite Prince purchased from Watches of Switzerland in August 2017. Returned in Jan. 2018 as the AR coating was rubbing from the edges of the crystal. The crystal was replaced and returned. September 2018 the issue returned and the watch sent back in December. This time IWC with the comment: "No manufacture fault. Watchmaker advised the crystal is rubbing on something to cause the AR coating to wear away...last replacement was at cost as a goodwill gesture" Cost for repair AUD500.

So the owner is a pilot in the USA and wears a short sleeve uniform and an occasional jumper or jacket with soft cloth sleeves - but 80% of the time nothing to rub on the crystal and worn in rotation with another few other watches a Speedy and a Bulova Moonwatch, Seiko and Acutron. Kept in original box when not worn.

Is it possible that the durability of the IWC AR coating is that fragile that a light sleeved shirt or jumper would rub it off so easily? If so it may need to come with a warning: DO NOT wear with long sleeved articles of clothing.

Very disappointed as it was a gift for graduating to the "big" planes.

I would have thought that if they believed it was a sleeve issue then they would have advised as such on the first return and also advised that they were replacing as good will. As far as I see it, the AR coating is not fit for purpose if its durability is that much in doubt.

I guess that the top AR could always be removed but he likes that as it has a blue tinge and it was one of the selling points of the watch.

:thumbsdown::confused:

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 14, 2019

Short sleeve uniform rubbing, is the wearer a T- Rex.

ConElPueblo and blubarb like this.
  3. blubarb Jun 15, 2019

::psy::

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 4.24.58 PM.jpg

STANDY and ConElPueblo like this.
  4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 15, 2019

I have 6 iwc’s including le petit prince. Some o have had for over a decade one for about 30 yrs. I have never encountered this issue.

Edited Jun 15, 2019
    blubarb likes this.
  5. intron Jun 15, 2019

I experienced the AR coating rubbing off on a Mark XV. Purchased new maybe 13 years ago.

I wore it 24/7 non stop for maybe 2 years when I first got it. Never took it off rain, shine , work, dirtbiking, snorkeling, I even showered with it , sometimes I took it off when I slept but rarely.

The AR wore out in a few spots and it was pretty noticeable. It didn’t flake off or anything. Just wore off.

When it went in for service maybe 8 years ago I replaced the crystal. I have worn it, but no where near as much as when I first got it.

The AR is starting to come off in a few spots again.

Next time it goes in for service I might just have them remove the AR.

Take my situation with a grain of salt because I only have experience with one example.

blubarb likes this.
  6. whyboddau Jun 18, 2019

I had a chrono le petite prince, the AR coating scratched like butter on my countertop. I thought it was ridiculous to have such a soft coating on a sapphire crystal. Defeats the purpose! Sold it soon after at a loss...fool me once IWC!

Als 27 and blubarb like this.