Forums Latest Members

Are vintage oyster cases waterproof?

1. artturi Jan 27, 2017

Hi,

I would love to get a waterproof vintage watch to use when I'm out on the boat or swimming. Currently I'm using a Seiko diver, but not really happy with it since it can't be manually wound, looks too contemporary and I'm not really feeling the diver aspect either.

So maybe an old Tudor in an Oyster case would be good. Would love to know if these are actually waterproof enough that you can swim and surface dive with them?

Is there anything else I should take into account when buying a vintage Tudor? I would like the watch to be affordable, simple to service and keeping reasonable time. Would this mean a manually wound movement would be my best bet? Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262824656514?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I thank you for your advice!

2. Canuck Jan 27, 2017

Stick with your Seiko! Water resistance only happens if a watch is maintained to be water resistant. And on a lot of vintage Rolex watches, they are likely the only source for parts, and I understand they consider a lot of vintage watches as obsolete and won't service them! I have 5 Rolex Oyster watches, and none of them go anywhere near water!

noelekal likes this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 27, 2017

They were when they were new 50 or 60 years ago. However, the water resistance is only as good as the weakest link. Generally, that is going to be the case or crown seals. Replacing these may help the watch pass a water resistance test, but remember that it's only as of a point in time.

Since many of the parts inside the watch will be difficult, if not impossible to replace, you are taking a very big chance by letting it anywhere near water, especially salt water. The effects of soap may be even worse, as it has molecules smaller than that of water that can slip though even a water resistance seal.

In short, this is not a good idea. Go get a Casio G shock for use when diving and save the Tudor for when you're having a beer after the dive.
    gatorcpa

Lonestar and Foo2rama like this.
  4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 27, 2017

+1

(would you take a picasso on board of your boat?)

5. alam Jan 27, 2017

Could you make a true vintage watch waterproof/resistant? Probably. However the general consensus is not to mix vintage with water - If properly serviced I would only trust waterproofing to exposing the watch to hand-washing and under light rain, I would not venture with it for swimming/surface diving.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 27, 2017

Why would you use anything but a diver when swimming and working on a boat? Look even vintage submariner guys don't take theirs swimming and they are more water resistant then a regular oyster.

Honestly lack of manual wind on the Seiko does not bother me. All of mine from vintage to modern basically start right up when I pick them up. The magic lever winding system is one of the best automatic systems out there.

7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 27, 2017

I would take a Picasso on a boat. I just wouldn't go swimming with it.

8. morningtundra Jan 27, 2017

Have you considered a modern classic from say, 1980s or 1990s? Instead of a vintage? Less fragile. Less pricey. Easier to maintain water proofing.

artturi likes this.
  9. artturi Jan 28, 2017

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 28, 2017

artturi likes this.
  11. artturi Jan 28, 2017

Yes, I ment this type of watch, not this specific example.

morningtundra likes this.
  12. morningtundra Jan 28, 2017

13. artturi Jan 28, 2017

Don't have a firm budget, but I'll probably stick with my Seiko if I don't find anything for less than thousand euros. A big reason for asking about vintage Oyster cases was that it seemed to me that manually wound Tudors could be had for about that.

14. nygiants Feb 18, 2017

Lol