How does this 145.022-69 look to you?

I’m new, and I’m trying to learn as much as I can. OF is such a great resource! I’ve also been reading Speedmaster101 and watching some of his videos on YouTube, as well as a few reads through the “Learning to Fish” thread. I’m starting to learn what to look for, but I still have a way to go. Hoping the people here can help me continue to hone.

I found this 145.022-69 on eBay, and from my untrained eye looks pretty good. Case isn’t overly polished, but it does have some scratches (especially near the lugs). Dial and lume appear original, in reasonable shape, and a nice yellowed color. The hesalite obviously needs some polywatch, but I imagine that’s not a large consideration for most people?

This listing is from a guy who, although he has nearly entirely positive reviews, is just flipping jewelry he finds at estate sales. The watch will obviously need to be serviced right away.

What am I missing? My personal goal is to hunt for something (specifically this model) that I can wear in a rotation of daily drivers, so not a museum-quality piece by any means, but still presentable and something to be proud to wear at the office or out with family.

Like 1
You posted two previous threads and people told you that both of those watches were totally legit and fairly priced, IIRC. But you indicated that you're too nervous to buy on eBay.

If you're serious, buy a watch. If you're not, just keep studying. We don't need a quiz.

You posted two previous threads and people told you that both of those watches were totally legit and fairly priced, IIRC. But you indicated that you're too nervous to buy on eBay.

If you're serious, buy a watch. If you're not, just keep studying. We don't need a quiz.
I’m serious, but I’m also new to this. The feedback on the first watch was more negative than positive from the OF crowd. I know there’s a lot more experience out there than I have, so I took it to heart.

This is a different watch, and I thought I did a better job picking based on the feedback from the previous thread. Just looking to see if that’s correct or not.

I’m not nervous about eBay specifically. I’ve bought more expensive items on there than these watches (racing bikes when I was younger), but I knew a lot about those and knew exactly (as much as is possible on eBay) what I was getting when I bought them.

Hopefully a few people will be able to chime in on this new watch to see if I’ve gotten better at knowing what to look for. Obviously the end goal is to buy it! :)

I’m serious, but I’m also new to this. The feedback on the first watch was more negative than positive from the OF crowd. I know there’s a lot more experience out there than I have, so I took it to heart.

This is a different watch, and I thought I did a better job picking based on the feedback from the previous thread. Just looking to see if that’s correct or not.

I’m not nervous about eBay specifically. I’ve bought more expensive items on there than these watches (racing bikes when I was younger), but I knew a lot about those and knew exactly (as much as is possible on eBay) what I was getting when I bought them.

Hopefully a few people will be able to chime in on this new watch to see if I’ve gotten better at knowing what to look for. Obviously the end goal is to buy it! :)
I see no negative feedback on the first or second one, just comments about condition. All three watches you've posted are legit and mediocre, it's eBay after all. Just depends on your own preferences and price. As I mentioned previously, we can't buy it for you.
Edited:

Well, let's cut the OP some slack. He's made a bit of an effort to assess the piece himself, seems to have done his homework and is pleasant enough to write a nice post including the pictures of the watch concerned...

So, here goes. Hard to judge the exact attractiveness of the dial as the picture quality is quite poor, at best. As you might have read by now, certain 145.022-69's turn brown, this one is within the serial range that more commonly does so. Whether this one is turning brown and if so, whether it is attractive, remains to be seen. Can't say based on the pictures. The hands, especially the hour hand, appear very white and might be replacements.

Other than this, the bezel and case appear nice. A lot will come down to price. Is this an auction, or a buy it now?

Good luck making up your mind! ;)

Like 11
IMG_6977.png Try and get more close ups on the dial, from many angles?
So you can look at the condition, and possible marks, scratches etc…
Do you have a picture of inside of the caseback?
And the serial nr, a bit hard to read…
It could be a nice watch, depending of the prize…:)

But it might be this??

Well, let's cut the OP some slack. He's made a bit of an effort to assess the piece himself, seems to have done his homework and is pleasant enough to write a nice post including the pictures of the watch concerned...

So, here goes. Hard to judge the exact attractiveness of the dial as the picture quality is quite poor, at best. As you might have read by now, certain 145.022-69's turn brown, this one is within the serial range that more commonly does so. Whether this one is turning brown and if so, whether it is attractive, remains to be seen. Can't say based on the pictures. The hands, especially the hour hand, appear very white and might be replacements.

Other than this, the bezel and case appear nice. A lot will come down to price. Is this an auction, or a buy it now?

Good luck making up your mind! ;)
Thank you! This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Some of the feedback on a watch I shared last week was that the lume color was bad, and this one appears to be a bit better.

I also had a hunch about the hands possibly being replacements, so I’m not surprised to hear you say the same.

Here are a few more photos of the dial and link to the listing, which is a buy-it-now type.

Are these watches suitable for wearing a couple times a week? Not just sitting in display cases? I’m not looking for a perfect watch since I want to wear it and will undoubtedly add a few nicks and scratches myself. I don’t want a clunker either, though. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296198224193?epid=24055221164&itmmeta=01HTTY0BP9RN5KFQK74T7RCEKM&hash=item44f6ca3941:g:B3MAAOSwK5NlyBrG&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAAwKMxo7jDDIWiy+/wEcuACaL++EH/bddhXyBeY0p2qbfLu8TPnvrMDIIcTQG4nVTGRk6G8k758UtZcvzWP17mzXQtMte5f3bo7XasYt5vakadbvgQ3Xc/uLApEplif0AJTkSmZR4d0Coybq9dPC9JbAH4hxo2wkamidD7H7L5kOQzWAxoyqvwxafn1Zf3UCeW8slXMhL5VfpxnI4rj9MU3nTE9SP1fHVhvnBoTYsTQZPfdha6BamiEctZmNGf+mYPjw==|tkp:Bk9SR7a7gd7WYw

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Like 1

“We”? Since when do you speak for the rest of us? If these kinds of posts frustrate you, a suggestion: don’t respond.

This is a helpful, courteous response sans the belittling tone. Thank you.
Edited:

Like 9
Best way to learn is to buy one and own it.

As long as no one red flags it here, just buy it, wear it, work out why you like it and why you do not. Then go and find another, more suitable one, sell the original purchase, and put the difference down to school fees, or if you are lucky, lottery winnings.

It is unlikely that your first speedmaster will be cheap and good. It is almost impossible for someone asking the kind of questions you are asking to get both at the same time.

For that you need to have years of experience, both in assessing watches and in striking deals. Even then, there are those of us with those two attributes who can still get it wrong.

Lastly, dont beat yourself up if you get a watch you subsequently fall out of love with, or feel you dont like. Its not a mistake, its an education. Move on.

Just buy a watch. get on with it. (And good luck)

Like 17
It doesn’t appear to be a stunner but it’s not a dog.

A lot will come down to price. A beautiful watch can be a pass if the price is too high, an average watch can be a buy if it’s a good price and allows you to own it, feel it, get to know what a vintage Speedmaster is like, then trade up in the future if you like.

A couple of points on this one;
What is the price. It’s a big part of the info in deciding whether to buy. Don’t be shy about posting it.
The bracelet is wrong but has its own value.
Speedmasters from the 60’s can absolutely be daily wears.

Like 5
I agree with M'Bob. Compared to what seems like an endless stream of new drive by posters who seem to want to extract everything they can from the community without contributing anything -- and many of whom are frankly rude when we do try to help -- THIS OP has been nothing but courteous, polite and seems to me to be doing his homework and trying to learn. What's wrong with that, Dan? So he's a newbie and is cautious about buying from eBay? I say good, he should be. We were all novices once. OP, I'm in agreement with Spacefruit. You're first watch is not likely to be a stunner, but you're learning. Just aim for a decent watch at a fair price. It doesn't have to be collector quality. Continued good luck in your search and please stick around and become part of the community.

Like 6
Ok since you asked

2911 movement, usually has a nice dial, but this one is not typical - the markers are white, and I cant see the body colour properly. Has a step and no obvious damage. I dont think there is any brown at all. (Shame). So not a markedly valuable dial but correct.

Movement has mismatched coloured bridges, but it may be the photography - but it would put me off. I dont trust that sort of thing.

The bezel while correct, and DO90, is not attractive as the font is blurry and there is damage. I prefer sharper font. I dont like the bezel

You dont say how much it is. Every Speedmaster has a price. For a price I would buy it

If someone paid $6500, Its not crazy but I would not do it. If its $7,500 its a lot more than you would recover on Ebay if you tried to re sell it.

EDIT:

My guess is if from a dealer asking $6500/$7,500
My no brainier price for me to buy is $4,000

Am I way out?

Like 8
What is the price. It’s a big part of the info in deciding whether to buy. Don’t be shy about posting it.
You dont say how much it is. […] My guess is if from a dealer asking $6500/$7,500
My no brainier price for me to buy is $4,000
Just wanted to add for posterity for the sake of the discussion- the OP has shared the eBay link above. It’s a BIN listing at $5,450usd.

Edit- fixed hyperlink.
Edited:

Like 5
Well OP, no one can spend your money for you, but I don’t think it’s a bad buy at that price. You’ll get a few hundred back by selling the bracelet which is a nice 80’s version and has no place on a -69

Like 1
Great advice on this thread, Spacefruit’s assessments are gold.

I too am newer to this game and have purchased and sold several older Speedmasters including a -69… the advice is spot on, you really have to own the watches to get a true education (I learned that I do not like the green lume on later -69s and -71s for example).

I think I mentioned in a previous post, buying an honest watch from a trusted forum member really is the best way, even if you may have to pay a bit more…. And it looks like there may be a -69 coming up for sale soon..

IMG_2110.jpeg

Like 1
All,

Thank you for all the advice! I wasn't online much today (took the kids to a baseball game), so I didn't see all these comments.

This is listed at $5,450 plus shipping, and the seller doesn't seem too keen to negotiate. Not surprised based on his selling history, but he comes across as just trying to hawk it and make his margin (very short, a little rude, not much thoughtfulness in his answers).

I looked on the Speedmaster101 pricing tables and at previously completed sales on eBay (prior to seeing all of this feedback in the thread) and assumed a fair price on this would've been $4000 - $4500. I offered $4,200 to see if he'd come back with a lower counteroffer, but he doesn't seem too interested. After reading these posts, I feel I may have inadvertently low-balled him.

I did just follow the 101sales IG account and saw the upcoming sales. :)

I don’t see an issue with the OP asking for advice and his reluctance to make a big purchase on eBay.

I too don’t find the watch that attractive and would wait for a better example.

My advice is to hang around OF and find one in the FS section from a reputable seller. This requires patience but the payoff can be huge and a lot less riskier.

Like 1
Great thread … the Spacefruit comments are always worth a read.

I recently bought a 145.022-69, my first pre-Moon Speedmaster. It helped me a lot to think about what was most important to me in terms of the model or vintage that I was looking for — movement (321/861)? DON vs DNN? Correct bracelet/period-accurate bracelet/head only? Applied metal dial vs painted dial? Recently serviced (and by whom?) as opposed to needing service (and maybe involving unforeseen expense)?

Each of these has a cost; for a 145.022-69, the bezel alone makes a huge difference. So would you rather spend similar money on a really nice DNN example, or a less nice DON example? After reluctantly admitting that I wasn’t going to find an immaculate Ed White at my local flea market, I sort of narrowed things down to a 145.022, likely a -68 or -69. Although I’d kind of hoped to find a transitional 145.022-68, I figured that a 145.022-69 would be more likely. And I decided that for the same dollar (or a little less) I would rather have a nice DNN example. The bracelet wasn’t a huge deal breaker for me either way.

So that was the thought process that helped me narrow down the search. After that it was all about condition and buying the seller.

Like 3