Forums Latest Members

New member - read all the gouge - about to buy - did I do okay?

1. Ragazzo Mar 27, 2024

Loving this forum--such great info! I'm new to watch collecting, and I've been trying to read as much as I can. I'm looking for a pre-moon Speedmaster with an 861 movement (easier maintenance than 321 I heard) and DON bezel.

I've been watching eBay and Chrono24 for a couple months. This onePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network seems pretty good to me, but I'd really appreciate a more experienced eye checking it out. My first concern is that maybe the dial is too new-looking to be original.

I'm also trying to stay in the neighborhood of $5k. Not sure if that budget is realistic to get a good example of this watch, though.

Thoughts? Is this the one I should buy?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ragazzo Mar 27, 2024

I tried the "add photo" tool in the posting window, and it doesn't look like it worked. I'm trying the button below the window to add the photos instead. 2024-3-27-1.png 2024-3-27-2.png 2024-3-27-3.png 2024-3-27-4.png

pdxleaf likes this.
  3. pdxleaf ... Mar 27, 2024

I think it's legit and fairly priced.

Regarding the dial lume, you could ask the seller in advance if it is tritium lume or not. Then check it with a UV to verify that the lume fades properly. It doesn't appear relumed to me from these pics.

The case has been polished but it's not poorly done. The edges are soft, but it's what you'd expect for this price. Not heavily nicked though.

The bezel appears real and in good condition.

The serial number is hard to read but I might be close. The movement appears correct for the reference.

Hand lume is a bit dark but look original. Paint is excellent. I can't see any repaint myself in these pics.

Wait to get more opinions but it looks good to me.

1000009790.jpg 1000009788.jpg 1000009789.jpg

Ragazzo likes this.
  4. Ragazzo Mar 27, 2024

Thanks! I see the rounded edge now that you circled it. At least the case isn’t horribly rounded over like I’ve seen on some other listings.

What were you trying to show in the second photo where you circled the 130 on the bezel?

5. pdxleaf ... Mar 27, 2024

It's got little serifs on the one and three, which most fakes don't. This leads me to think it is real. I am not an expert on bezels but this is what I have learned thus far.

Ragazzo likes this.
  6. Ragazzo Mar 27, 2024

Wow…never would’ve caught that. Just found myself going down a Google rabbit hole on omega and serifs. lol. Thanks!

7. pdxleaf ... Mar 27, 2024

It's fun, isn't it? I assume you've seen speedmaster101.com?

You'll probably want a Moonwatch Only book. It's expensive, like 250, but it's so worth it.

I was in your place 4 years ago. There's so much great research already done for us. A lot of these OG's had to figure it out themselves bit by bit.

The Speedmaster is my favorite watch. I'm not unique, but doesn't matter. It's just such a great watch. I'm very excited for you. It's a lot of fun.

krogerfoot and Ragazzo like this.
  8. wagudc Mar 27, 2024

It was $159 on Amazon last I checked.

Ragazzo and pdxleaf like this.