How does this 145.022-69 look to you?

Great thread … the Spacefruit comments are always worth a read.

I recently bought a 145.022-69, my first pre-Moon Speedmaster. It helped me a lot to think about what was most important to me in terms of the model or vintage that I was looking for — movement (321/861)? DON vs DNN? Correct bracelet/period-accurate bracelet/head only? Applied metal dial vs painted dial? Recently serviced (and by whom?) as opposed to needing service (and maybe involving unforeseen expense)?

Each of these has a cost; for a 145.022-69, the bezel alone makes a huge difference. So would you rather spend similar money on a really nice DNN example, or a less nice DON example? After reluctantly admitting that I wasn’t going to find an immaculate Ed White at my local flea market, I sort of narrowed things down to a 145.022, likely a -68 or -69. Although I’d kind of hoped to find a transitional 145.022-68, I figured that a 145.022-69 would be more likely. And I decided that for the same dollar (or a little less) I would rather have a nice DNN example. The bracelet wasn’t a huge deal breaker for me either way.

So that was the thought process that helped me narrow down the search. After that it was all about condition and buying the seller.

I agree with you it's about defining the elements that truly matter for you and optimise for that, even though some of it you will only find out after getting your first watch in and wearing it for a while. For me it was nice colour of the lume and state of the bezel, but only when I got it I learned to appreciate the applied logo!

Like 1
As others have stated a decent watch. Price is the main question. At $5400 it's not a bargain. The seller is in the business so he knows exactly how low he will go. Keep looking.

Like 1
For posterity; it sold for approx 4.6k USD. Less the value of the bracelet, that’s in no-brainer territory if you ask me.

@Ragazzo : did you get it?

Like 3
For posterity; it sold for approx 4.6k USD. Less the value of the bracelet, that’s in no-brainer territory if you ask me.

@Ragazzo : did you get it?
I offered him $4200 last week, and he turned me down. The seller came back and messaged everyone watching it asking for best bids yesterday, but I didn’t see the message until after work. I was going to offer $4800, but I was too late. I think the bracelet was an 80s version, so the value of that was more like $500. I learned a lot from the process and this forum, so I’m appreciative of everyone. There will be more watches, I assume. I’ll post when I get the next one!
Edited:

Like 3
There will be more watches, I assume.
That’s the beauty with these Speedy’s. They were mass produced so there will always be one right around the corner :thumbsup: Goodluck in the hunt. This and the learning process are my favorite and only make the purchase and ownership that much more enjoyable. When you do get one, be sure to share it with us. We love pics here :cool:

Like 5
Seems like a very reasonable price for a DO90 -69… tough to tell if the dial is washed or the photos just make the lume look white though.

Like 1
I watched this auction since it was initially listed - it incurred 2 price reductions before finally selling. If it wasn’t for the rediculous customs duties I would incur (I’m in Canada), then I might have taken a shot at it. For fun, I played around with the photos to try and get a better read on it. The lume is there, and if I had to guess, it’s not as white as the initial photos suggested (I only adjusted brightness and contrast so as to not introduce artificial color). But really I’m guessing - too bad we won’t get to see proper photos. I enjoyed this thread - some great information shared :thumbsup:

Like 1