Help with a 351 based Omega from 1950

I inherited this 1950 steel cased Omega from my grandfather a while ago. It still runs but needs servicing. It has a 351 bumper movement. Do any independents service these? Any info on the model?
Thanks!

Hello!

Any good watchmaker would service the movement. As per the dial, I'm afraid it is a redial.

So, cost to service would be for you to enjoy as a heirdom rather than any other monetary transaction.

Wear it in good health

Yes, many independent watchmakers can certainly service the watch, particularly if you are mainly looking for a basic clean/oil/adjust. Try to find someone who is generally familiar with vintage watches. The reference (model) number will be inside the case-back. As noted, the dial has been repainted and re-lumed in the past.

Are the dial and hands the original ones that have been painted/lumed or replacements? I know that monetarily it doesn't matter (for that matter, it's not a pricy watch).

One could really only be sure by looking at the dial from the other side, but generally the original dial disk is preserved and repainted. There's really no reason to replace it.

Can anyone here recommend someone in Massachusetts, northwest of Boston? I suppose I could ship it anywhere..... so, any recommendations?

If you look around for the vintage watches in the different threads of the forum, you will notice that lume on dial will not be so greenish.

If you open the case to discover the model number as mentioned before, you will be able to search on Google for similar references to compare with.

If you like the dial, and it has an emotional value, no need to do anything to it. For time purpose, it does the job. For the movement, surely a service will do good

Can anyone here recommend someone in Massachusetts, northwest of Boston? I suppose I could ship it anywhere..... so, any recommendations?

Many recommendations have been made in previous threads. Use google to search for watchmaker or watch repair in boston, Massachusetts, New England, etc. Use the "site:" command to limit the search to omegaforums.net. It works much better than the internal search engine in my experience.

Many recommendations have been made in previous threads. Use google to search for watchmaker or watch repair in boston, Massachusetts, New England, etc. Use the "site:" command to limit the search to omegaforums.net. It works much better than the internal search engine in my experience.

I'll be damned... I didn't know that command existed !

I'll be damned... I didn't know that command existed !

Incredibly useful for forum searches.

I guess I'll be taking it to "The Watchmaker" in Stoneham.
Here's pictures of the inside. Any insight on model or anything?

Based on the model number, this is a Seamaster with a COSC certified movement? I wouldn't have guessed that based on the plain face. What did COSC certification entail in 1950?

I would be surprised as the movement is marked "unadjusted"

I guess I'll be taking it to "The Watchmaker" in Stoneham.
Here's pictures of the inside. Any insight on model or anything?

Based on the model number, this is a Seamaster with a COSC certified movement? I wouldn't have guessed that based on the plain face. What did COSC certification entail in 1950?

Reference 2635. https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-ck-2635

As noted, some of these were chronometer certified, but not this one. Do a google search for Omega 2635 chronometer and maybe you can find some COSC-certified movements.

Am I correct that it's a Seamaster, non-COSC, correct hands and face but both relumed?? I wonder what technical attributes the COSC 351 had that this one lacks.

The dial is not just re-lumed, totally repainted. Incorrect font, uneven markers, no "SWISS", etc.
Edited:

Can you find a picture of what this would look like if it were in original condition?

Use a google images search for Omega 2635 and scan quickly, looking for dials with those Breguet 3-6-9-12 applied markers and the other triangular hour markers. Those are original.

Ok, I found some quickly. These are probably original, or most of them at least. You can see a common theme for sure.
s-l1600.jpg
16fb7a88f4f5ddeb906c2d30049fb6c04f08f7c9.jpg img_20191219_135611-jpg.968129
DSC09415_a0592bf3-0fef-4aa7-ae7c-c15d8ed2c869.jpg
Edited:

Would mine have had that ring just inside of the numbers&markers? I assume the newer paint and lume can't be removed without damaging the original aesthetics.