Help with a 351 based Omega from 1950

Throwing out statements like ‘that’s too expensive!’ makes people think twice, get other quotes and prevents them being taken advantage of.
I personally find it insulting, though I know it's not meant to be. I would prefer to hear "That's more than I pay in SomeRandomCity". But the regional differences are definitely a factor. Apparently New York City, for example, is full of older watchmakers still working who charge much less than my younger watchmaker here who is selective in who he takes as a client.

Each watchmaker, or watch repair enterprise, chooses their own way to quote prices, I suppose, but transparency is important to me personally. A large service center will sometimes give a firm quote, while independent watchmakers will often have a "base" price, and add on costs beyond the base services once they know what is required. The second approach is my preference with a trusted watchmaker, since I understand the process well enough to take the additional costs in stride when they happen ... you win some, you lose some. If a watchmaker tells me that the base price for a service is $X, and additional parts or service will be based on a menu of charges for different services, or by time and materials, I would be happy with that, because he has transparently explained how he determines what he will charge. Setting expectations is important.

Obviously, the information we are getting from the OP is secondhand, but he seems to suggest that a watch repair shop gave him a vague estimate of "$800-$1000 or more". If that's really what they said, honestly I don't think I would be happy with that, because I have no idea what to expect, or how the charges will be determined.

Well, we don’t really have all the facts. Point is, I will give people the base service cost, but tell them that based on past experiences, expect to pay up to x amount, depending on condition, by the time parts and extra labour are added. So I give people a range, then a fixed cost when the watch comes in and I can inspect it in person.

Im just trying to get the point across that without the whole conversation, saying something is too expensive is a random statement with no real bearing on anything.

Perhaps the OP asked - what can I expect to pay based on your experience? And that was the answer given. Who knows.

The OP (me) was told, without asking, that there is a $100 diagnostic fee and it's rolled into to final bill if the work is performed. Bieber, I soulful be surprised if it cost $800-$1000, or more, as that's typical for these.

Im just trying to get the point across that without the whole conversation, saying something is too expensive is a random statement with no real bearing on anything.

I've been saying this same thing here for years, mate...

Bieber, I soulful be surprised if it cost $800-$1000, or more, as that's typical for these.

Weirdest typos of the week.

They were spellchecker & swype induced typos.
The OP (me) was told, without asking, that there is a $100 diagnostic fee and it's rolled into to final bill if the work is performed. However, I shouldn't be surprised if it cost $800-$1000, or more, as that's typical for these.