Help…bought a new but malfunction Moonwatch

I purchased a Moonwatch Professional on Jan 17th 2023 in Taipei, Taiwan. In less than 1 week on Jan 22nd, the start/stop button of the chronograph is malfunction. I can press it but there is no click and nothing happen. It just doesn't start. I owned several other high-end watches and I don't believe it's because of my operational error.

I took it back to the store on Feb 1st 2023. The sales confirmed the malfunction. I asked it to be replaced by a new watch but the sales insisted that it has to be sent back for repair.

This is unacceptable for me. I spent over USD 7,000 on a Moonwatch, which its brand certainly doesn't suggest such quality and services. If I sent it back for repair, that means I won't be able to wear my new watch in the next few weeks/months. And, this new watch will be a repaired watch which I have lost faith in its condition. This is a really really bad customer experience.

Does anyone have similar experience or just me being in Taiwan, dealing with local direct retail store…

any advise for me? Thanks!

First posts about malfunctions and QC issues of new Omega watches are very common on the forum. Here are a few I culled from the first few pages of this forum. There's no way to know if it's really a signifiant problem statistically, or whether these problems cause people to join OF.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/dont-buy-sapphire-sandwich-moonwatch-joke.155539/
https://omegaforums.net/threads/faulty-seamaster.155556/
https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-3861-chrono-hour-hand-misalignment.129098/
https://omegaforums.net/threads/clasp-stuck-in-brand-new-seamaster-300-professional-diver.135932/
https://omegaforums.net/threads/date-changes-earlier-smp.154473/

I purchased a Moonwatch Professional on Jan 17th 2023 in Taipei, Taiwan. In less than 1 week on Jan 22nd, the start/stop button of the chronograph is malfunction. I can press it but there is no click and nothing happen. It just doesn't start. I owned several other high-end watches and I don't believe it's because of my operational error.

I took it back to the store on Feb 1st 2023. The sales confirmed the malfunction. I asked it to be replaced by a new watch but the sales insisted that it has to be sent back for repair.

This is unacceptable for me. I spent over USD 7,000 on a Moonwatch, which its brand certainly doesn't suggest such quality and services. If I sent it back for repair, that means I won't be able to wear my new watch in the next few weeks/months. And, this new watch will be a repaired watch which I have lost faith in its condition. This is a really really bad customer experience.

Does anyone have similar experience or just me being in Taiwan, dealing with local direct retail store…

any advise for me? Thanks!

I don't get it... what's wrong with it being repaired and fixed? It'll still be new and the one you purchased.
Outside of "yes, it's unfortunate it happened" and "yes, you'll be without for a bit of time" (and that is a drag, I get that)... it'll be fixed, it's the watch you picked, it's already got a little DNA of yours on it -- you have a child, they get ill, you get them well again you don't adopt it out and start over again.
Now if the watch had multiple issues, basically a lemon so to speak, I can see wanting a new one but otherwise -- get it fixed, be patient, definitely go over the watch with a fine tooth comb when it's time to pick it up at - and before you leave -your AD/OB, and enjoy it.

Picking up a new Speedy and having it for only a week before it needs to get repaired would be really annoying at best. You want to enjoy it, not give it up! Was in at an Omega Boutique, an authorized dealer? Not sure that would matter, but I was curious. Either should have access to an authorized repair facility - I would think the manager would expedite the repair. Week or two?

However frustrating it will be to have to wait, I wouldn't be concerned about the quality moving forward. Watches are mechanical art and certainly things can go awry, however they can also be fixed. I would expect when you get your watch back, it will have been extra carefully inspected. Post some pics so we can celebrate you getting it back.

I don't get it... what's wrong with it being repaired and fixed? It'll still be new and the one you purchased.
Outside of "yes, it's unfortunate it happened" and "yes, you'll be without for a bit of time" (and that is a drag, I get that)... it'll be fixed, it's the watch you picked, it's already got a little DNA of yours on it -- you have a child, they get ill, you get them well again you don't adopt it out and start over again.
Now if the watch had multiple issues, basically a lemon so to speak, I can see wanting a new one but otherwise -- get it fixed, be patient, definitely go over the watch with a fine tooth comb when it's time to pick it up at - and before you leave -your AD/OB, and enjoy it.
To be honest if I had bought a watch a week ago then I would be annoyed at having to wait however long it will take to fix it.

Gotta agree with OP … one week and it fails? Lemon. I’d want a replacement.

Gotta agree with OP … one week and it fails? Lemon. I’d want a replacement.
You may want a new watch, but not likely to get one. A product that needs work right after purchase does not make it a lemon. I've had a handful of new watches that needed work right after purchase including an AP, a Breguet and a Glashutte Original, I got the issue rectified and moved on, never thought I was entitled to a new watch.

A watch can only be new once, suppose Omega takes it back and gives you a new watch, what happens to the first watch? Omega fixes it and what, puts it back in the showcase and sells it as a 'new' watch? I don't want to buy a watch that has seen one week, two weeks, a month of wear, it's a used watch once it's taken out of the store by the first buyer. I don't want to walk into an OB and wonder if the watch I'm looking at is a pre-owned piece that was returned because the buyer didn't like it or it had a small issue.

I’ve had similar qc/send-brand-new-watch-in-for-warranty-work issue with Omega before and was also told a new watch was out of the question. It’s a shoddy way to run a business, but what are you gonna do? You’re not out of line for asking for that, though.

What I’d say is that you’ll still be getting a new watch, but with the added benefit of knowing it’s been serviced (after sitting around for who knows how long).

You’re also entitled to and should demand something else. A complimentary strap (leather or NATO) or a watch roll or something like that. Your dealer should be offering this to you without prompting, but don’t be shy about asking if he doesn’t.

Every now and then this happens. Chill, get it fixed and enjoy it.

$7000 doesn’t make it more of a watch than any other watch. Happens to all brands every now and then.

Warranty is meant for this exact purpose.

It’s a bit of a grey issue in my mind, how long after purchase is it a warranty issue vs a replacement issue. If the problem was noticed within hours of purchase, I’m not sure it’d be correct to say oh we will get that fixed under warranty come back in a month or two. After 6 months it’s a different case. After a week I can see how it’d leave a bitter taste but can also understand that if it’s been worn then there is an argument it become a warranty issue.

It’s a bit of a grey issue in my mind, how long after purchase is it a warranty issue vs a replacement issue. If the problem was noticed within hours of purchase, I’m not sure it’d be correct to say oh we will get that fixed under warranty come back in a month or two. After 6 months it’s a different case. After a week I can see how it’d leave a bitter taste but can also understand that if it’s been worn then there is an argument it become a warranty issue.

How’s this for a grey issue 😗

Agreed.

Use a new car as an example for instance... better, a new BMW 😎, and having an issue and then going back to the dealership and wanting a new car versus repairing whatever the issue may be.
You're going to get laughed off the lot asking for or demanding a new vehicle. However when you see a Lemon Law replacement happen -- the owner needs to have consistent and varying failures from the vehicle.

Across the internet I see a lot of Chad & Karen energy regarding watches and issues... good luck with that.
My Nivada Grenchen CASD died after 2.5 weeks of ownership from new... did it suck, yes - was I pissed, ya betcha - was their customer service not great, fυcking eh - but did I ask/demand a new one, hell no... I want it fixed.
Look at the upside, at least Omega got on yours (OP) immediately.
Sure, ask for an additional strap or an Omega book politely (don't demand shit, people need to stop all that bullshit) at the tail end of the repair/delivery and enjoy your watch.

Use a new car as an example for instance... better, a new BMW 😎, and having an issue and then going back to the dealership and wanting a new car versus repairing whatever the issue may be.
I was thinking of this same example earlier. Except when you need to get your car repaired you get a loaner while it's in the shop so you can still get around. I think they should start giving out loaner watches 😎. Obviously, that will never happen. I think they should at least have a way to expedite the repair. The situation sucks, but if it can be fixed quickly it's a minimal hassle. Getting a brand new watch like this and then immediately having to wait months for a repair is an insanely bad customer experience.

Sure, ask for an additional strap or an Omega book politely (don't demand shit, people need to stop all that bullshit) at the tail end of the repair/delivery and enjoy your watch.

Directed to my comment, so I’ll reply. Maybe “demand” is too strong, sure, but “ask politely” is too weak, IMO. The bullshit is a company charging $$$$ for a steel watch that breaks in a week (in my case was not one but two dive clasps, back to back) and then leaving the impacted customer with his d!@k in the wind for two months while they fix it instead of just giving him a new one—they could do that, and then let them send the other one in, fix it, and resell it later. This is a first world problem, no doubt, but insisting (how’s “insist”?) on luxury service when spending luxury money isn’t out of line. Not saying he needs to be a jerk about it. But he doesn’t need to be timid either. He paid for quality he didn’t get and is entitled to compensation. Even if it’s just an unfortunate random thing.

Am I being an assh@le here? Not trying to be. Just… fairminded.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Some companies are happy to walk all over you if you let them. At a certain point, it needs to be made clear that some things are unacceptable. Nothing wrong with that.

Right. It’d be “Chad & Karen” to walk in and make a scene about it, or take it out on the sales associate (who presumably has no control over any of this). But expecting some small acknowledgment of the inconvenience is not being too precious. We gotta hold Omega accountable, people! For the better of the brand! (I’m only half kidding about that.)

A free NATO (that they charge stupid money for)—that’s the least they can do. Hopefully the AD just does this without your having to ask. My AD sent me the OEM rubber strap and hardware for my SMP. Kept me as a customer!

They should give the OP a loaner watch, like car dealerships do.

This a preposterous proposition, that will never happen.
Edited:

They should give the OP a loaner watch, like car dealerships do.
But you pay for that loaner in the price of the car and the service costs.....it doesn't come free. If the Swatch Group started giving out loaner watches to everybody that sends a watch in for repair expect to pay a LOT more upfront for that shiny new watch, and higher repair costs, too. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.

All loaners are MoonSwatches. The bright color ones nobody wants. 😁

I don’t think the car analogy works, for several reasons.

This (to my mind) is more like a tv. It’s a (relatively) small but expensive consumer good. Pretty sure if you buy a tv that stops working after one week, you can take it back to the store and they’ll just give you a new one.