Forums Latest Members
  1. SonnyUte Apr 11, 2020

Hi, gang. I am new to the community, so please let me know if I violate any rules of etiquette, etc.
    I just purchased a nice Speedmaster Professional (145.022-76) on the Bay. Reportedly recently serviced (I know, I take that for what it is worth, not much). It keeps great time (loses <2 spd).
    However, the chronograph is not working properly. I had time to observe it tonight and realized that what I initially took to be random malfunctions are not as random as they seemed.
    This is what I observe:
    Sometimes the central second hand of the chronograph will not start when the start/stop button is pushed. Other times, it starts with a bit of hesitation. Sometimes it starts normally.
    However, when it does start, it stops/pauses after 44-45 seconds. It then resumes after 14-15 seconds. It continued this pattern for more 10 minutes at which time I realized I should do something more productive with my evening. Like write this post.
    I suspect that there is significance to the fact that the sum of the running time of the central sweep hand and the pause nearly equals 60 seconds.
    I am fortunate to live near Jamie of JD Watch Repair (formerly of Greater Detroit, now located in the Dayton, Ohio area, much to my good fortune from his reputation on this forum).
    I am sure he will sort this for me (once social distancing allows me to get this and a couple other Omegas I have been saving for him to work on), but I was wondering if my description of the behavior brings anything to mind in the meantime?

C533D5B9-CCCD-41CA-BFAA-651F6AD65E29.jpeg DA59631A-8734-4369-8A46-1782995C4F07.jpeg
  2. OMEGuy Apr 11, 2020

The end pieces of the bracelet look uncommon.

[​IMG]

3. Canuck Apr 11, 2020

You are thinking maybe we are going to suggest you check out whether there is a warranty on the repair that was done? Well that is what you need to do. Or if there is a return for a refund privilege, maybe you should be looking at doing that. If you have no warranty and no refund privilege, this could well mean an expensive repair. I suspect you will find it difficult to locate a watchmaker who will be willing to finish someone else’s work.

SonnyUte likes this.
  4. SonnyUte Apr 11, 2020

Yeah, the end link not pictured is a correct 633. The one you see in this picture is obviously not correct. The 1171 bracelet it came with is pretty stretched. I have already put it on a NATO strap.

OMEGuy likes this.
  5. SonnyUte Apr 11, 2020

I got it at a pretty good price for the (good) condition of the watch. So I am not going to return it. I was anticipating the likelihood it would need a full service anyway.

6. michael e Still learning. Apr 12, 2020

It just sounds like your coupling yoke part 1724 isn’t sliding across properly.
    Pretty common problem.
    Maybe it needs a little grease or the screw releasing slightly?
    Also part 1724 might not be sliding over enough, the concentric screw might need adjusting so it slides over a bit more, be careful and adjust it a tiny bit at a time.

8B4BB42A-E5C0-4F2B-9283-777E4BE05F47.jpeg 80324C79-CE2D-4B56-B5CF-E0FE44460E62.jpeg
    Edited Apr 12, 2020
    ahsposo, watchyouwant and Seaborg like this.
  7. SonnyUte Apr 12, 2020

Thanks, Michael. That is definitely above my skill level. It is nice to know that it may not be a serious problem.

8. michael e Still learning. Apr 12, 2020

Yes, if you are not confident don't go sticking a screwdriver in there, leave it up to a pro.
    :thumbsup:

watchyouwant and SonnyUte like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 12, 2020

Please don’t mess with it based on the advice on a forum.

Cenzo, joe band and SonnyUte like this.
  10. SonnyUte Apr 12, 2020

Good advice on both accounts. Off to JD it goes!

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 13, 2020

Jamie will take good care of you - he's a good guy.

Cheers, Al

12. SonnyUte Jan 16, 2022

I realized I never closed the loop on this discussion. Jamie fixed and serviced my watch beautifully, as predicted. He has since helped with several others. I agree: he is a very nice guy.

Archer and michael e like this.