Help…bought a new but malfunction Moonwatch

I don’t think the car analogy works, for several reasons.

This (to my mind) is more like a tv. It’s a (relatively) small but expensive consumer good. Pretty sure if you buy a tv that stops working after one week, you can take it back to the store and they’ll just give you a new one.
But then they refurbish the TV and sell at a discount. Can’t resell as new. It’s more like a car in that once you drive it off the lot it’s a used item and Omega isn’t in the business of selling used watches so it becomes a warrantee issue. Probably not going to find a perfect analogy. Let’s hope Omega can fix the watch in a reasonable timeframe.

I don’t think the car analogy works, for several reasons.

This (to my mind) is more like a tv. It’s a (relatively) small but expensive consumer good. Pretty sure if you buy a tv that stops working after one week, you can take it back to the store and they’ll just give you a new one.

Agree, but an Omega watch is eminently repairable, and too many modern tellys are not, so they get refurb'd and then resold at a discount,

A quick, certain repair and a freebie is what I got with our first FOIS -- and have been very happy with it.

Several watch brands give loaner watches during repairs, and this was even more common decades ago.

Just my 2 cents...

A huge part of why people buy luxury goods like this, especially new from an AD is for the buying experience/customer service experience. While I don't necessarily think OP is "entitled" to a new replacement watch, I know that if I had spent 7K USD on a faulty product, then to be told I have to wait weeks/months for service (with what sounds like no other remedial action), it would leave a bad taste in my mouth. But maybe that's just me.

Purely from a "good business" point of view, if I was the AD/Omega I would want to do everything possible to make it up to the customer. Whether that be a new strap or other goodies + expedited service... heck, maybe a free future service down the line. All easily within Omega/the AD's power to offer and would just be good customer service in general. Curious to know if OP was offered anything for the inconvenience, but based off the post I'd say probably not.

If I was OP I'd certainly have my confidence in the brand shaken, and would think twice about ever buying new from Omega again. The recent (numerous) accounts of shoddy QC from Omega's recent offerings don't help either.
Edited:

Agreed.

Use a new car as an example for instance... better, a new BMW 😎, and having an issue and then going back to the dealership and wanting a new car versus repairing whatever the issue may be.
You're going to get laughed off the lot asking for or demanding a new vehicle. However when you see a Lemon Law replacement happen -- the owner needs to have consistent and varying failures from the vehicle.

Across the internet I see a lot of Chad & Karen energy regarding watches and issues... good luck with that.
My Nivada Grenchen CASD died after 2.5 weeks of ownership from new... did it suck, yes - was I pissed, ya betcha - was their customer service not great, fυcking eh - but did I ask/demand a new one, hell no... I want it fixed.
Look at the upside, at least Omega got on yours (OP) immediately.
Sure, ask for an additional strap or an Omega book politely (don't demand shit, people need to stop all that bullshit) at the tail end of the repair/delivery and enjoy your watch.

** This **

A watch can only be new once, suppose Omega takes it back and gives you a new watch, what happens to the first watch? Omega fixes it and what, puts it back in the showcase and sells it as a 'new' watch? I don't want to buy a watch that has seen one week, two weeks, a month of wear, it's a used watch once it's taken out of the store by the first buyer. I don't want to walk into an OB and wonder if the watch I'm looking at is a pre-owned piece that was returned because the buyer didn't like it or it had a small issue.

Just a thought...

Consider what happens when you buy a product like an Iphone or Macbook and it's defective. Keep in mind a decked out Mac costs as much, if not more than a Swiss watch these days. Usually they just give you a "replacement" and you send the defective item back to Apple. Your original device then gets refurbished and offered to others down the line in the same situation. This ensure no downtime. You get a cosmetically and functionally like-new replacement, knowing full well it's probably a refurb from someone else in the same situation previously. If you wanna replacement well then that's the tradeoff. Furthermore, your original device doesn't go to waste.

I'm sure some would prefer to have the original item serviced and returned for sentimental reasons etc. but at least this could be offered as one possible solution.

In this analogy Omega would at most need to service the movement and replace the odd bezel/midcase or crystal.

I know it's not an Apples to Apples comparison (but rather an Apples to Omegas comparison 😜), but I see no reason why a massive company like Swatch couldn't offer a similar service, given the fact that these watches are probably more "serviceable" than most modern electronics which, these days, are made difficult to repair by design.

To me it's a fairly straightforward solution that's not exactly rocket science... the irony being that these watches are known for their part in, well, rocket science 😁

Obviously the timeline would come into play, as others have suggested. Owning a the watch for a week and it breaking is of course very different than owning the watch for 2 years and it breaking, despite the latter still being within the warranty period.

Strangely we always seem to hear about the problem watches, only occasionally do we hear about the ones that work perfectly. My 3861 Sapphire Sandwich has been on my wrist every day since I picked it up July 20th 2021. It usually gains 1 sec a day when it is placed face down overnight. Wound when I put it on at about 10am each day, it is everything I expected it to be. Looking forward to upgrading the clasp. The upgrade from my 1861(traded at my AD) was a gift from my wife for our 50th anniversary so this particular Omega has multiple significant meanings to me. If it ever needs repair, I want THIS one back. 20210330_151724.jpg
Edited:

Strangely we always seem to hear about the problem watches, only occasionally do we hear about the ones that work perfectly. 20210330_151724.jpg

I feel that's how it works with most things. How many times have you looked up the reviews on a restaurant/business, knowing full well you're just seeing the bad reviews while most with positive experiences don't ever bother to write a review.

In the end I think it's the frequency/proportion of bad reviews to good reviews that matters.

Beautiful watch though, and definitely a keeper!

Directed to my comment, so I’ll reply. Maybe “demand” is too strong, sure, but “ask politely” is too weak, IMO. The bullshit is a company charging $$$$ for a steel watch that breaks in a week (in my case was not one but two dive clasps, back to back) and then leaving the impacted customer with his d!@k in the wind for two months while they fix it instead of just giving him a new one—they could do that, and then let them send the other one in, fix it, and resell it later. This is a first world problem, no doubt, but insisting (how’s “insist”?) on luxury service when spending luxury money isn’t out of line. Not saying he needs to be a jerk about it. But he doesn’t need to be timid either. He paid for quality he didn’t get and is entitled to compensation. Even if it’s just an unfortunate random thing.

Am I being an assh@le here? Not trying to be. Just… fairminded.

Not directed to your comment even though you commented...

if you look further up on my reply I said specifically I see it everywhere on the Net regarding watches, and it's bullshit -- as it's become endemic about almost everything these days.

Sit at any airport and see how different people deal with a flight cancellation.

Every day shit happens, had a Speedmaster serviced and a few months later it stopped. Of all places I was overseas with work. Sent it back a few weeks later when I got home and it got fixed. (Parts account independent so got nothing for the trouble) Ended up being an issue that can happen occasionally.

If I didn’t have 2 other watches I would have bought a G-Shock from the PX store.

To the OP I got my 3861 a few weeks before you did and mine is flawless. I have read all the disappointment threads about hands being ever so slightly off or dates not changing exactly at midnight and think people need to chill a bit. But a non functioning chrono after a few weeks is not good at all and you deserve some swift solution. Almost every market has a Swatchgroup service centre so at the very least they could expedite it, but a replacement is probably the right thing to do.

If I may offer some advice. I sell consumer goods, whenever a customer steams in and is combative from the get go it usually results in both parties digging in and a swift resolution is not possible. I know you have every right to be upset, but try and take a breather and deal with the AD in a calm manner and even be friendly. I am sure they are not in a good position either. No need to be a pushover, but a little politeness goes a long way and will help you get a swift outcome.

I don't get it... what's wrong with it being repaired and fixed? It'll still be new and the one you purchased.
Outside of "yes, it's unfortunate it happened" and "yes, you'll be without for a bit of time" (and that is a drag, I get that)... it'll be fixed, it's the watch you picked, it's already got a little DNA of yours on it -- you have a child, they get ill, you get them well again you don't adopt it out and start over again.
Now if the watch had multiple issues, basically a lemon so to speak, I can see wanting a new one but otherwise -- get it fixed, be patient, definitely go over the watch with a fine tooth comb when it's time to pick it up at - and before you leave -your AD/OB, and enjoy it.

I live in Taiwan. The Taiwanese attitude is that they don't want to fix a problem, they just want to get rid of the problem and get a new thing. I'm assuming this poster is Taiwanese, hence why he doesn't want a "repaired" watch.

Well, I don't live anywhere near Taiwan, fwiw, and don't think this is about cultural differences at all. I think it's more about defining reasonable expectations, and how one should behave when those aren't met. To my way of thinking, anyway (always likely to be wrong), that transcends national differences, at least on some level.

This is a fascinating conversation to me, and I'm not exactly sure why. But I appreciate all of the different perspectives---they've got me thinking.

What I'm seeing is that this comes down to two questions: 1) what is a reasonable expectation to have of a new Omega watch? and 2) what is a reasonable way for the customer and the seller to close the gap between that expectation and reality when they don't align?

Re: reasonable expectation of a new Omega, I suppose that's very subjective. If you're a longtime collector of super-complicated Pateks, a Speedmaster might be a slum-watch that you nab with pocket change at the mall with no premeditation. You might not even the keep the warranty card for a mass-produced trinket like that, and might not even care if the chrono hand broke after a week.

But many---I'd hazard most---of us approach Omega as a luxury product, even if it is a mass-produced watch from the SWATCH group. For me, getting a new (or even preowned) Omega watch is an adrenaline rush. It's something I have to budget a bit for. I'm tracking the package when it's en route. If I'm buying one new from an AD or OB, the whole experience is special---it's not something I just happen to do on the way home from work; it's something I've been thinking about doing for weeks. And one of the reasons I love Omega is that I do put faith in the exceptionalism that they hype in their branding, re: their "quest for excellence," e.g. (from their own website): "Only watches having successfully passed the most stringent quality control earn the right to reach your wrist."

It's a reasonable expectation that when you save up for and take the heartpounding plunge toward a brand new Omega that costs more than someone else might spend on a used car, you're going to be getting something superlative for that money: a beautiful and resilient watch that will outlive you, yes with regular service intervals, but not an imminent service. To put that last bit differently, if it's a piece meant to celebrate or commemorate a milestone (not that this changes anything, but for many people this is indeed the case), it's a reasonable expectation that you will get to savor the specialness---the occasion of that watch---with several years of satisfying use before needing to part with it for service. (If someone thinks I'm wrong about this, please comment---I'm not closeminded about anything I'm saying here.)

True, as someone else mentioned, issues like the OP's are what warranties are for. There's a logical progression of responsibility/custody that flows from presale to warranty period to post-warranty period: the watch is Omega's problem before it sells; during warranty, the implied agreement is that the watch is now "our problem" (that is, shared by both Omega and the customer, who understands that there may be some inconvenience and disappointment should something go wrong, but no expense); and during the post-warranty, the watch is squarely the customer's problem. But can we reasonably say that in the first week or two of (presumably normal) use a watch that passed through "stringent quality control" should not experience a major malfunction like this? (Maybe during the 14-day return period? I do understand that wearing voids return; I'm just using this as a timespan.) And can we also say that a malfunctioning chrono pusher is different from a hand that doesn't line up perfectly or some other quibble that one can only see with a loupe? We're not talking about getting Holy Trinity level perfection from a glorified SWATCH: we're talking about basic functionality.

No doubt, as far as the letter of the warranty goes, the OP is in the warranty period, and the policy would dictate that he should do exactly what he's been told to do by the dealer. But is that Omega satisfying his reasonable expectation of the brand? I'd say no way. There's a pretty big gap between what this man experienced and what all the marketing (and forum hype, etc) would reasonably lead anyone to expect. If I were the SA or anyone at Omega with the mandate to care about customer satisfaction, I'd want to address this.

Re: a reasonable way for the customer and seller to close that gap. Again, I'd walk back "demand" and say "insist," and I guess it didn't even occur to me that politeness wouldn't be a part of the bargain. (I work in a field where incredibly high quality standards and politeness are both expected, even when giving orders/making demands.) Yes, of course, always be polite, don't be an entitled a@@hole, but also don't be a total pushover and treat Omega with unquestioning gratitude and reverence: you're allowed to (politely) insist on getting what you have paid for. That doesn't make you a jerk. It makes you fair and smart, and may well sustain you as an Omega customer. You can even think of it as magnanimously giving Omega a second chance to live up to their branding.

It's safe to assume the OP doesn't yet have an emotional connection to this particular watch (no?) so he'd probably be happy to accept a replacement, and that's what I'd try to do if I were the SA, regardless of any of the objections mentioned previously. But if that simply isn't an option, then I'd want to ask him "what can we do to make this right for you?" And I'd probably list several easy options, such as a new strap and hardware, a watch roll, a free post-warranty service, a substantial 3-figure discount on another watch, etc, etc. I spent years working in customer service and would say this is 101-level stuff. And if the AD doesn't offer that, then the OP is very reasonably expected to say, again politely, "look, this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth, and I'd like it if Omega provided me with a complimentary ___ to address that." It doesn't involve yelling and pouting like some airline counter customer-baby who doesn't understand how air-travel works; it doesn't need to involve threats or ultimatums. But having some spine and ensuring you get what you've been led to reasonably expect (or otherwise be compensated for any shortfall) is the way to go, IMO.

You'll more likely to receive a direct replacement for a cheap $100 Tissot than for a $7000 Omega. The only reason for it is that a company will always do what costs them less, regardless of your feelings and what you think you're entitled too. Simple as that.

I do agree however that you should pursue a compensation in the form of a strap or something for the inconvenience.

Just a thought...

Consider what happens when you buy a product like an Iphone or Macbook and it's defective. Keep in mind a decked out Mac costs as much, if not more than a Swiss watch these days. Usually they just give you a "replacement" and you send the defective item back to Apple. Your original device then gets refurbished and offered to others down the line in the same situation. This ensure no downtime. You get a cosmetically and functionally like-new replacement, knowing full well it's probably a refurb from someone else in the same situation previously. If you wanna replacement well then that's the tradeoff. Furthermore, your original device doesn't go to waste.

I'm sure some would prefer to have the original item serviced and returned for sentimental reasons etc. but at least this could be offered as one possible solution.

In this analogy Omega would at most need to service the movement and replace the odd bezel/midcase or crystal.

I know it's not an Apples to Apples comparison (but rather an Apples to Omegas comparison 😜), but I see no reason why a massive company like Swatch couldn't offer a similar service, given the fact that these watches are probably more "serviceable" than most modern electronics which, these days, are made difficult to repair by design.

To me it's a fairly straightforward solution that's not exactly rocket science... the irony being that these watches are known for their part in, well, rocket science 😁

Obviously the timeline would come into play, as others have suggested. Owning a the watch for a week and it breaking is of course very different than owning the watch for 2 years and it breaking, despite the latter still being within the warranty period.
A MacBook might cost much at retail but the cost to produce it is only a couple of hundreds $. They are produced in the millions and are very disposable.

It's not accurate to think that a company that produces watches can give the same service as a company (biggest in the world) that produces disposable electronic devices in vastly larger numbers in Chinese factories.

But is that Omega satisfying his reasonable expectation of the brand?

The reasonable expectation of the band, is what the warranty says the brand will do for you in the event of an issue. That's it - there's nothing more to it than that.

If a customer didn't bother to check this before they bought the product, well that's a lesson learned.

A MacBook might cost much at retail but the cost to produce it is only a couple of hundreds $. They are produced in the millions and are very disposable.

It's not accurate to think that a company that produces watches can give the same service as a company (biggest in the world) that produces disposable electronic devices in vastly larger numbers in Chinese factories.

An unfounded assumption, one that I made also, until I researched it. This is just one site breaking down the costs of macs, and to save you the trouble, the estimates are Apple makes around 38% on the hardware. Hardly a usurious markup in these days.

that said it could all be Apple marketing behind these cost breakdown sites

The reasonable expectation of the band, is what the warranty says the brand will do for you in the event of an issue. That's it - there's nothing more to it than that.

If a customer didn't bother to check this before they bought the product, well that's a lesson learned.

No doubt that’s the legalistic, purely objective (will hold up in court) answer, as I acknowledge. But is that the way a customer service rep from Omega—a custodian of the brand’s luxury image—would describe it? By “reasonable expectation,” I specifically mean something above and beyond the cover-your-butt fine print written by a bunch of corporate lawyers: I mean (also) what the branding would reasonably lead any customer to believe. Truth in advertising. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume something more about Omega. Do I think the customer has a strong legal case? Absolutely not. That’s not the point, IMO.