Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster 3861 chrono hour hand misalignment

1. bar28 Mar 20, 2021

I managed to buy long waited Speedmaster 3861 sapphire case version on week ago from local AD. Watch performing extremely well and I'm very happy for it. When I started to look very precisely chronograph hour hand, it's very little on rightside. Hour hand pointer still fit the zero marker on the dial. I can easily live with this tiny nyance, but is such small alligment error normal on chronograph's?

IMG_20210320_211630__01.jpg
    MoonBounce, Abho and Borosilikat like this.
  2. AntonisCy Mar 20, 2021

Does the had move only after the chrono function has been activated?

3. bar28 Mar 20, 2021

I wanted run second hand a bit, that hour hand can see better. Hour hand operating in generally well and I kept chrono on running whole night. I noticed only this very small alligment error on it after zeroing the chronograph.

4. AntonisCy Mar 20, 2021

I am sure someone with more knowledge like @Archer will see this and let you know what he thinks.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 20, 2021

Check it when fully reset...

6. bar28 Mar 20, 2021

Yes I reset it and run 8 second that I managed to see the hour hand?

7. Borosilikat Mar 20, 2021

I've had this before on a 1861 speedmaster, my advice would be to bring it to Omega especially since it's still under warranty and just get it fixed. It's a very minor fix and you shouldn't be without your watch for long !

8. jjjones Mar 20, 2021

I have the exact same thing on my FIOS. The way I fix it is I run the chrono for a few seconds, stop the chrono and then when I reset, hold the reset pusher down and slowly release it.

On mine, when I slowly release the reset pusher, you can see the hour hand move off the zero line. If it does, while still holding the reset pusher, push it back down all the way and you will then see the hour hand move back to zero. Slowly release the reset pusher and eventually the hour hand will not move while slowly releasing the reset pusher.

Hope this makes sense. If not, I can try record a video of this process.

9. Evitzee Mar 20, 2021

Heck, most of my Speedmasters exhibit this problem, it's just not something to worry about, imo. I'm certainly not going to send it in to have the hand readjusted. Wasn't there a thread about this issue a month or so ago, it's not just a misaligned hand, it's a function of the movement.

4011021 likes this.
  10. Dan S Mar 20, 2021

::facepalm2::

Sometimes I feel sympathy for the people who write user's manuals.

savio.79, watchyouwant and Archer like this.
  11. bar28 Mar 21, 2021

If it's not too difficult to record small video clip from this process I would be very glad!

Pius XIII likes this.
  12. jjjones Mar 24, 2021

Hey mate

Sorry about the late reply. Its quite hard to record and show the process with one hand but hopefully you can see what I did in the video

You can see in the first few seconds of the video the hour hand is slightly off the 12.

I run the chrono for a few seconds and then stop the chrono.

I then press and hold down the reset pusher. I slowly release the reset pusher ensuring the hour hand doesn't move off the 12 (this part is hard to see). When the reset pusher is finally released you can see that the hour hand is straight on the 12.

Hope this helps. Just play around with the reset pusher to see if it helps align the hour hand. Make sure you dont press the reset pusher while the chrono is running.

bar28 likes this.
  13. bar28 Mar 24, 2021

Many thanks your effort for the video clip and detailed explanation. I undertood it now. How did you manage to try such trick in the beginning?

14. fakinbacon Mar 24, 2021

Same issue here! Bought the new sapphire sandwich a few weeks ago and immediately noticed that the hour counter hand was off. Incredibly frustrating to have that on a watch of this caliber/price. Just tried the suggestion from @jjjones but no luck :(
    D388010A-483D-4B0E-BDD3-109F4E8BC512.jpeg

hansmaulwurf likes this.
  15. bar28 Mar 24, 2021

Excatly the same thing as mine too. This price level watch it must be spot on. I decided to bring my watch back to AD to warranty repair. AD saw the same without any arguing and put it on service. Very pitty indeed, because watch in generally is very cool.

ironn han likes this.
  16. Hands90 Oct 19, 2022

How common is this. I saw it on mine but after a few resets it seems to have cleared.
    Odd that it seems to be only on sapphires

17. OmegaOwner2019 Nov 9, 2022

From what I see on various forums this problem is pretty common.

I have the same problem on my 1863 Speedy. The alignment of the hand in the hour subdial seems to be a bit better when I firmly push the reset all the way. I think Archer showed it in one of the old threads.

It used to bug me a lot and on a few occasions I wanted to send it back for service.
    But a few years later and a few watches later, I have mellowed as a collector. It does not bug me as much anymore lol. Every watch is gonna have its quirk and imperfections. If it's not this, it's gonna be something else.

If they realign it, who knows, now it may be misaligned the other way lol.

18. 4011021 Nov 9, 2022

Mine is like that but it doesn't bother me.

19. OmegaOwner2019 Nov 11, 2022

After playing around with the chronograph, I think the specific cause of my watch's alignment issue is actually a small amount of "hour creep".

The hand would reset to perfect alignment, but sometime later it will move just slightly off centre.

Will this cause any mechanical damage/issues if I just leave it alone? I am not sure it is worth it to part with the watch for a few months to get it addressed.

20. Evitzee Nov 11, 2022

No damage if you leave it alone.