Forums Latest Members

Gas pipe leagage. I hate my house...

1. Shabbaz Sep 5, 2019

So I'm rebuilding my house by putting a second floor on it. Prices in Amsterdam are going crazy (EUR 7000 per m2) so I thought it was a good idea. Especially because the second floor will be my mancave. My girlfriend can visit my mancave but at the end it's mine. At least that's my plan. Not sure if she agrees.

Anyway, I can handle 16 weeks of dust, people who build things, ceilings beeing ripped to pieces, 8 weeks without washing machine, water leakage AND not buying omega's. But what I can not accept is a gas pipe leakage. This means I can not take a shower for one week and more importantly... my bath... No bath is like wearing no watch. With other words, it's essential in my life. I know some kids in Africa have a hard time but hey... no bath... that's really hard...

So people, never rebuild your house. Be happy and thankfull what you have. And if all fails, take a bath...

Screenshot_20190905-193141_Gallery.jpg
  2. 89-0 Sep 5, 2019

Are you a morning bather or nighttime bather?

Mafkees and Shabbaz like this.
  3. Shabbaz Sep 5, 2019

Both! Haha!

4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 5, 2019

How about temporarily using an electric, on demand, tankless hot water heater?
    Very popular these days. Don’t cost much and not hard to install.......I think.

Shabbaz and connieseamaster like this.
  5. KingCrouchy Sep 5, 2019

I would then shower at the gym. Really sucks such a situation.

Shabbaz and DaveK like this.
  6. ATWG Sep 5, 2019

My bigger concern would be whether or not I could wear my Speedmaster while bathing....

7. SG90 Sep 5, 2019

At least you didn’t discover the gas leak when you lit up a smoke

8. Stufflers Mom Sep 5, 2019

You need the live with friends or relatives or bite the bullet and stay in a guesthouse while the work gets done.

JwRosenthal and Shabbaz like this.
  9. Evitzee Sep 5, 2019

7000 EUR per sqm is crazy expensive, that's about US$715 per sf. Pricey.

GLWR......good luck with renovation.

Haven't taken a bath in years, if I want a hot soak I'll drop into the spa on the back patio and then take a cool shower when I get out.

Edited Sep 5, 2019
    Shabbaz likes this.
  10. KAP Sep 5, 2019

We remodeled our house a few years ago. Raised the roof and gutted the main living areas. Bedrooms and garage become temporary storage. We had 2 bedrooms left as our useable living space during 3 months in the short summer and into fall. No heat for most of that time during that cool rainy time and we used camping stoves for cooking or went to restaurants.

It was a lousy few months and had we known what was coming, I don’t think we would have started. We thoroughly enjoy our remodeled house since life returned to normal 5 months after starting the project.

We at least had water for all but a couple days. I’m with you about baths... 5 gallon water jugs, basins and sponge baths get old quickly.

Wish you all the best in getting through your remodel. Just keep in mind what it will be like when done.

Shabbaz likes this.
  11. Shabbaz Sep 5, 2019

Thnx guys for the heads up and advice! But I'm going to take this like a man. Take a cold shower every day and cry for help. After that I'm going to buy a nice 50's IWC cal 853.. That always cheers me up...

Mafkees and KingCrouchy like this.
  12. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 5, 2019

Kinda ironic that I am reading this thread... while taking a nice warm bath! No joke! :D

Shabbaz and Fritz like this.
  13. Walrus Sep 5, 2019

I do my own work but limited to running plumbing, cabinets lighting etc. usually I end up with stitches or a major metal splinter. Last time I was grinding and got something in my eye that still bothers me. Last week I was cleaning my low gutters on a ladder and unleashed a bee nest which is bad enough on the ground but terrifying 8 feet up on a ladder. You need to decide to scurry down and take the bites or take a leap of faith. Mind you I did this with ruptured tendons in my right shoulder which is either more manly or stupid. In your case a gas leak is no joke at all. Where is the leak? Doesn’t take much of a spark to require you not to build a new man cave but a new house. Very fortunate for you.

Shabbaz, Njnjcfp88 and Deafboy like this.
  14. Shabbaz Sep 6, 2019

Last night I came home and thnx to @gemini4 I had a epifany. We call it the mobile shower. :D Calling them now to get one asap in my home...

Screenshot_20190906-081137_Chrome.jpg
    gemini4, kkt, Deafboy and 1 other person like this.
  15. CPRwatch Sep 6, 2019

Gas is my business & how I earn my bread and butter so repairing the gas escape would be easy . But I do have sympathy for your situation & reminds me of one Christmas many years ago when my Children were young & we had the in laws stay over for Christmas . All was going well until Christmas eve evening when the boiler broke down & we were left with no heating or hot water , I knew what the fault was but didn't have the part available to fix it , So made some phone calls & one of my engineers had the part but wouldn't be able to get the part to me until Boxing Day , So lets just say the atmosphere was extremely frosty but I had plenty of Hot air from the Mother in law to keep me warm , She even said your not much of a heating engineer are you ,if you cant even fix your own boiler .....

Mafkees, nonuffinkbloke, kkt and 6 others like this.
  16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 6, 2019

You should have replied "Well I know one old boiler I should fix for good!"

;)

kkt, lando, Nathan1967 and 5 others like this.
  17. CPRwatch Sep 6, 2019

The good lord fixed her for me instead .

kkt, lando, Nathan1967 and 3 others like this.
  18. JwRosenthal Sep 6, 2019

My shower is the only way I can start my day- I couldn't leave the house without it. If the mobile shower doesn't work out, I would see if you could find an Air B&B in your area and just stay there until things settle at work. Worth the cost of a shower to start my day to me.

Shabbaz likes this.
  19. borre Sep 6, 2019

I would just bite the bullet... no additional costs. We also did a complete renovation, and lived on the attic :) We first renovated the bathroom, so a shower was always available during the rest of the works ;)

Shabbaz likes this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 6, 2019

Don’t need a bath as I have a swim nearly every day of the year ;)
    The upside of a tropical climate. :thumbsup:

(The downside,
    Lived across the road from the beach for 12 years but have never swam in the ocean due to box jellyfish, bull sharks and saltwater crocodiles :cautious:)