Forums Latest Members

I hate when I see someone selling a watch I once owned...

1. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Feb 3, 2021

... and saying the previous owner (me) serviced it (I didn't) even though my previous listing specifically states no service history.

FTR - the watch is not currently listed here.

2. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Feb 3, 2021

Ahhhh - may be a false alarm, might not.

3. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Feb 3, 2021

Might be he bought it from the guy that bought it from me.... In the meantime Immagonna have a thread here with myself.

4. Marsimaxam Feb 3, 2021

Curious.... any particular reasons why you hate to see someone selling a watch that you once owned, other then misrepresenting the service history?

Mine:
    I sold a watch to an acquaintance for a very fair price ( friend price ) who then turned around and sold the watch for a substantial profit. Fool me once....

5. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Feb 3, 2021

You do that.

But I have to say, these ads are taking cues too literally

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 6.27.31 PM.png

alefar, WatchCor, ConElPueblo and 2 others like this.
  6. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Feb 3, 2021

False alarm - he bought it from the fellow that bought it from me.

Purely for misrepresenting the service history, and in hindsight this time I think I jumped the gun. Looks like he bought it from the person I sold the watch to a few years ago.

I do get a bit nostalgic when I see one of my old watches.

Though one time I came across a Tudor 7016 I had owned that had been re-engraved as a Tudor MN - It wasn't - and THAT stirred up a lot of crap.

7. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Feb 3, 2021

Remember when Google's motto was We Suck Less?

MoclovFlop likes this.
  8. Dan S Feb 3, 2021

Me too, but in a good way, if that makes any sense. I like the idea that it's going to someone else who wants it. Regardless of price, any time a watch is sold, it is going to someone who wants it more than the seller.

9. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Feb 3, 2021

Did not matter to me since it is all pretty new to me.
    Sold a nice watch to lurker. I guess a lurker is a 1 post member. Well anyway, sold to the lurker who appeared very excited. About one month later it was for sale by a prominent “Watches for Sale” member. So I assume the lurker lost about $1,000+ on the watch.

10. Tonyash Feb 3, 2021

Once something has left your ownership there is little you can do about how the new owner chooses to use or market it. A few years back I sold my 1969 Mercedes W111 V8 Coupé to a man who put it back up for sale at twice the price with a false history citing it as Australian factory delivered. It wasn't, it was Australian spec delivered in Germany and toured through Europe for 6 months before shipping down under. Tourist Delivery it was called and avoided some tax charges.
    There is unfortunately a big difference in value here between a factory delivery and personal import, driven by something prevalent in Europe called rust. As my car had only spent 6 months in Europe rust was not an issue but it was still a personal import and not a factory Australian delivered car. A very nice personal import mind, which is how I sold it at a price I considered fair. At the time I tried to alert people to the truth but the car has since sold on several times taking with it a spurious history created purely out of greed.

11. Dan S Feb 3, 2021

Yeah, it's bad enough when a private individual makes up a story, but honestly, a buyer should be pretty skeptical in buying something from a random person based on an undocumented story. I think we get particularly worked up about this kind of thing when we see high-end glamour dealers telling exaggerated tales. And occasionally we know the truth, e.g. when a member has been offered a given watch before the dealer got hold of it.

Linesiders likes this.
  12. kip595 Feb 3, 2021

The only one that ever ruffled my feathers, so to speak, was when I sold a vintage (which shall go unnamed; it wasn't here) on original matched and un-sized bracelet, only to see the bracelet listed alone for over half the original sale price. The profit didn't bug me, but taking it off the watch it presumably was attached to for 50+ years rankled me. :/

13. JwRosenthal Feb 3, 2021

I’ve purchased a few watches where I have looked at the sellers other listings to see the bracelet posted separately. I get that they may get more for it, but it bugs me from the collectors perspective. I purchase the bracelet of course- but I hate giving the seller the satisfaction that it was the right thing to do.

MTROIS and kip595 like this.
  14. Screwbacks Feb 3, 2021

have you ever had any watch that you sold. then sold to 3rd owner, then to 4th owner,
    and finally ended up to you because of renewed interest? no kidding, it happened. :D;)

Linesiders and JwRosenthal like this.
  15. Shabbaz Feb 3, 2021

It happened to me but I really could'nt care. I've sold the watch with a reason. The new buyer can do whatever he likes. The only thing I dont like if the buyer affects the originality of the watch by polishing it to death or refinish the dial.

MTROIS and JwRosenthal like this.
  16. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 4, 2021

I enjoy seeing watches I used to own floating around the watch forums, being worn proudly by some other sucker - er um - I mean new owner. ::stirthepot::

Seriously though, when I see one I've sold being worn 20X what I would have, I feel a bit good it went to the right place. :thumbsup:

MTROIS likes this.
  17. kilian Feb 4, 2021

Yes, there are a few watches I regret selling

18. Wryfox Feb 4, 2021

Given the broad definition of 'watch service' on the internet, it might have been a wipe off with a rag.

Braindrain and Linesiders like this.
  19. asrnj77 Feb 4, 2021

Unfortunately there are limited opportunities to try on vintage or obsolete watches. Sometimes a buyer takes a chance buying a watch online and it just doesn’t work on their wrist. It ends up being an expensive catch and release but I get it

Linesiders and Darlinboy like this.
  20. Braindrain Feb 4, 2021

I understand this happens a lot....