Forums Latest Members

My New Seamaster 300M - I Hate the Stock Bracelet! Options Review

1. Spikedlee Jan 26, 2021

Over the weekend I picked up a new blue Seamaster 300M on rubber strap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue ceramic dial and bezel is absolutely striking and a true chameleon in that it changes tone based on the light that surrounds it. I could not be more impressed with this watch. It runs +2 seconds per day, and the date changes exactly at 12:00 AM on the dot, which even my Rolexes do not do.

I absolutely despise the gigantic, non-tapered stock bracelet on this watch especially owning primarily Rolex and being very used to leaner, tapered configurations.

Just look at how massive this is on my 6.75" wrist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also feel that the link design, although part of a heritage of prior models, looks dated and not as sleek. Unfortunately, aftermarket designs with integrated end links are not the best for this watch. Even with the easy link adjust system on the clasp, it is just way too thick and bulky.

Because of this, I opted to pick up the rubber strap version which I think looks amazing and is quite comfortable. However, I also intended on making this a watch that I can swap straps for and already have a few options:

Option 1 (The Captain America):

This is an elastic NATO which I have never owned before. Because of the elasticity, it is extremely soft and much more flexible to create a snug and comfortable feel on your wrist. I told my GF this was like "yoga pants" on the wrist and she immediately understood lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because of this strap design not being like a true NATO due to the lack of a fixed double underside, I can easily adjust the 12:00 and 6:00 lengths of the strap to create a perfect fit and not deal with having to fold any excess material on the steel keepers.

Option 2 (The Milanese NTTD):

Okay so this isn't the actual NTTD, but it is actually BETTER in the fact that it has unlimited adjustment, does not have a clunky folding clasp, is thin enough to fit under a dress shirt, and is very well constructed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lets compare this to the clunky, limited nature of the NTTD with big clasp and limited fixed hole configurations:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the look of the NTTD, but was hesitant to buy based on the bracelet and held off until my OB had stock so I could test the fitment and as I predicted, with my wrist, I am in between sizes. It would either be too tight or too loose on my wrist based on the fixed hole positions. The mesh thickness is nice, but the clasp protrudes way too much and would never allow for a perfect fit. I know Daniel Craig gave Omega the advice that Bond wanted a lightweight watch, but I don't believe Bond would ever wear something this clunky.

The only downfall of the Milanese I have is that the mesh is not as thick at 1.8mm, but I just ordered a 3.0mm version with everything else the same except thicker links. I don't mind the thinness, but thicker will at least balance out with the thickness of the watch case. Bottom line is, the fitment is perfect with this band, blends well with the case, and cost like $20 on Amazon.

As I select more options for this watch, I will make sure to post them on here but I wanted to give you guys some insight who were interested in the watch. Just like my Speedmaster, Omega couldn't pull off the "perfect" configuration for me and required me to modify the watch a bit to get it right.

Last note is this color of blue kicks my Pepsi's blue in the ass:

[​IMG]

UPDATE:

For those of you saying the Milanese was too dainty on the Seamaster, I just got in a 3mm thick version which is about 1mm thicker than the one pictured and it's pretty much the same thickness as the OEM NTTD band. Take a look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only difference is that the thicker one is polished and the thinner one is brushed. Both are equally as secure and well constructed. Definitely a contender against the fixed adjustment NTTD and all for $19.99.

[​IMG]

Edited Jan 27, 2021
    McKnife, Om3ga321, Pejman and 12 others like this.
  2. ckamp Jan 26, 2021

Nice post! Totally agree on the chunkiness of those bracelets. Tapered would be great.

That last shot with the GMT really shows the beauty of the Seamaster blue!

Edited Jan 26, 2021
    ErichPryde likes this.
  3. artek Jan 26, 2021

Awesome watch and nice pictures. Congratulations!

4. Cod Holliday Jan 26, 2021

And the pink/purple of the GMT :D. I just offended bunch of Rolex fans.

Congratulations OP. Enjoy your watch for however long you decide to own it.

5. mpstuff Jan 26, 2021

@Spikedlee, You could get the blue nylon strap that comes on the new silver snoopy. I bet that would look really sharp on that SMP! I’ve been thinking about getting the black/white nylon with the deployment clasp for use on both my white SMP and Speedy. Any pictures of the dial in the sun?

6. Spikedlee Jan 26, 2021

Worth a try! We haven't had any sun here in Chicago for days now. I will once it decides to pop up :)

7. abrod520 Jan 26, 2021

Look how nice and legible the standard 300M is compared to the NTTD. Why Omega thought that they should leave off the outer AR coating on their most expensive model in the range is beyond me.

Om3ga321 likes this.
  8. stevec14 Jan 26, 2021

Omega blue and grey stripes nato. Would look great with that. I do like the Milanese option you have however

Stripey likes this.
  9. Marsimaxam Jan 26, 2021

I like the milanese bracelet and the idea of trying the blue nylon strap that comes with the current silver snoopy model. Also a leather NATO strap might look good too.
    20mmCamelvintageSuedeLeatherNatoWatchStrapBandVintage.1.jpg

10. mpstuff Jan 26, 2021

No kidding! Been shoveling snow all day here in the western burbs. Thanks!

11. Texans93 Jan 26, 2021

That milanese looks great. Could you please post a link to where you sourced that one? I think the thicker 3.0mm version would be a PERFECT fit.

Thanks....

12. VickMacky Jan 26, 2021

Completely agree about the stock bracelet. Thick, clunky, and outdated. I like your option1 the best. I also really like the stock rubber strap. I wear mine with a Vintage Watch Company NATO on mine. EF3B6CD9-1719-413E-8889-44DEE89C0037.jpeg

Dimitar Adamski likes this.
  13. guppydriver Jan 26, 2021

Looks great @Spikedlee

You buy watches like I buy toilet paper. Good on you brother.

Quick question. Did you go in, mind made up, exclusively to buy the blue 300M or did you debate which of the 4 standard edition colors to buy? There is a lot of indecisiveness going around (myself included) the forums because the white dial is super hot right now, and people who thought they were going to grab a gray/blue/black dial are getting seduced by the white dial.

I agree the stock bracelet screams 90's to me, but I still think I'm going to buy it on the bracelet and then add the rubber strap.

MTROIS and Texans93 like this.
  14. Hands90 Jan 26, 2021

One of the best bracelets on the market.
    Couldn't disagree more.

artek and Wetworks like this.
  15. redzer007 Jan 26, 2021

I appreciate that my SMP is by now only a 2nd cousin twice removed, but I put an 1171 on mine. New ones still have 20mm lugs, right?

This is one of my favourite combos at the moment. You might want to try a US offering to see if you like the concept before shelling out for OEM Screenshot_20210126-204655.jpg

Lovely light feel

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 26, 2021

Nicely done, Agree the genuine bracelet has never been off my liking, your choices are much better. I specially like the Milanese on it, even at the thinner ratio. And yes, to my eye (and I have a couple of these aftermarket options as well, it is better than the Bond one which I find a little exaggerated. It's supposed to look fine, not like a templar knights watch.

Edited Jan 26, 2021
  17. cvalue13 Jan 26, 2021

My guy, I can't unsee those palm calluses ...

18. Dimitar Adamski Jan 26, 2021

I was thinking exactly the same thing.
    It looks great.

19. MTROIS Jan 26, 2021

That's probably because the "flavor" offered was never to your LIKING... :p

Ok, I will show myself out... :whipped:

;)

20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 26, 2021

That’s so.... so..... true