GADA watch 4 choices

Not that anyone would ever say that Rolex only really makes one watch 😗

I guess there's enough difference between GMTs and Subs and Daytona's to make that a silly statement.
Oops 😬 I deleted that comment because I misread your other comment 🤦 But since you quoted my now deleted comment, I feel I should repost it, so don’t mind me doing just that 🙃

Much like the Oyster Perpetual Date is similar to the Datejust

….which weren’t a million miles from….

Which takes us full circle, back to the Air King line with the Oyster Perpetual Air King-Date (Precision) 😁

Choose the watch you enjoy the most and forget about all the opinions you’ll read in this thread. You’re the one that has to live with it 👍

Having said that, in my most humble opinion, that Air King is one ugly watch. That’s coming from a place of me absolutely loving the original reference and its sleek variations. Where the Rolex design team pulled that bloated mess is beyond me. For a visual example, here is an original next to the updated version…

And one on my 7” wrist.
100%. The OG Airking is the archetype of simplicity and utility in a sport watch while still being elegant. But if 34mm is small for some (which I love under long sleeves but totally get could be small for some) I find the modern Explorer the next best thing.

I thought of mentioning an Explorer because I also find the AK shown in this thread to be unappealing, but the OP mentioned specifically that he was considering the AK because he likes the dial. If that's what he wants, maybe he could try a different AD, I don't think they are really so difficult to buy.

The Aqua Terra off course! The ultimat GADA watch. Would you "go anywere do any thing" with the other watches?

Many rollex folks dont take their watches on vacation or to big citys, we have a tread on here about that.
Would you go swimming with a Speedy, we have about a tousand treads about that here.
The GS is a clear number 2.

Good luck with your choice.

Opinions are like arseholes in that everyone has one😂, but, as you asked, of the 4 you picked the Aqua Terra would be the one for me, I owned a speedmaster 3861 but I sold it as I found it too flat, personal opinion, and I didn’t get banned from here either😁, I would also recommend the Rolex Explorer 36mm to add to your list.

I own every generation of Aqua Terra so I'm biased. I much prefer the "teak" dials to lacquer or sunray (first generation). I find it to be a very neat addition to the dial. It adds texture and interest. I also prefer the mixed brushed/polished look so I'm not a fan of the "shades" models that recently came out and the black lacquer version that just came out. Not a fan of the all polished look.

If the polished center links of the AT bother you, they can easily be professionally brushed to satin by any decent watchmaker. It gives the watch a less dressy appearance.

Now as to legibility, the AT is very legible in reasonably good light, but not so good in poor light. This is because the minute hand is only lumed at the tip, rather than the full length. I think this is an unforced error by Omega. If you look at the watch for a few seconds you can discern the minute hand tip from the indices, but at a glance they all kind of blend together. There is no reason whatsoever not to run lume down the length of the minute hand.

I will also say this about the AT--the bracelet leaves much to be desired. Either the total lack of simple micro-adjustment, or, in the case of the new lacquer dial AT, an adjustment system that is tacky, unsightly, and does not provide enough adjustment. But if you plan to use the rubber strap that is top notch.

As for the Rolex, I don't care for that dial at all. And the 32XX movement has had issues. I won't buy a Rolex with that movement because I was burned by buying a Datejust with the 3235 movement and needing to have it serviced (under warranty, thankfully) due to low amplitude. This was less than a year after I bought the watch brand new from an AD. So I sold the watch and will not buy another Rolex with the 32XX movement. Just google search 32XX problems and you will find threads on TRF and WUS debating the issue. Of course the Rolex fan boy mafia comes out in force and says "there's nothing to see here." 🤫

The Grand Seiko is beautiful but the bracelet lacks micro-adjustment. I've owned two Grand Seikos but in the end they did not sit right with me because they felt boring.

The Speedmaster is a sweet watch and would probably be my pick for a one watch collection type watch. Assuming you like the look. And I wouldn't worry about the water resistance as 50m is sufficient to swim with. Although I personally wouldn't swim/snorkel/dive with any watch worth mutiple thousands of dollars.

I own every generation of Aqua Terra so I'm biased. I much prefer the "teak" dials to lacquer or sunray (first generation). I find it to be a very neat addition to the dial. It adds texture and interest. I also prefer the mixed brushed/polished look so I'm not a fan of the "shades" models that recently came out and the black lacquer version that just came out. Not a fan of the all polished look.

If the polished center links of the AT bother you, they can easily be professionally brushed to satin by any decent watchmaker. It gives the watch a less dressy appearance.

Now as to legibility, the AT is very legible in reasonably good light, but not so good in poor light. This is because the minute hand is only lumed at the tip, rather than the full length. I think this is an unforced error by Omega. If you look at the watch for a few seconds you can discern the minute hand tip from the indices, but at a glance they all kind of blend together. There is no reason whatsoever not to run lume down the length of the minute hand.

I will also say this about the AT--the bracelet leaves much to be desired. Either the total lack of simple micro-adjustment, or, in the case of the new lacquer dial AT, an adjustment system that is tacky, unsightly, and does not provide enough adjustment. But if you plan to use the rubber strap that is top notch.

As for the Rolex, I don't care for that dial at all. And the 32XX movement has had issues. I won't buy a Rolex with that movement because I was burned by buying a Datejust with the 3235 movement and needing to have it serviced (under warranty, thankfully) due to low amplitude. This was less than a year after I bought the watch brand new from an AD. So I sold the watch and will not buy another Rolex with the 32XX movement. Just google search 32XX problems and you will find threads on TRF and WUS debating the issue. Of course the Rolex fan boy mafia comes out in force and says "there's nothing to see here." 🤫

The Grand Seiko is beautiful but the bracelet lacks micro-adjustment. I've owned two Grand Seikos but in the end they did not sit right with me because they felt boring.

The Speedmaster is a sweet watch and would probably be my pick for a one watch collection type watch. Assuming you like the look. And I wouldn't worry about the water resistance as 50m is sufficient to swim with. Although I personally wouldn't swim/snorkel/dive with any watch worth mutiple thousands of dollars.

Good backstory and 4 interesting choices.

I've owned 3/4, and though this is strictly my IMO, I found the AT lume pretty week, though the dial must be up there as among the most legible and readable-at-a-glance otherwise. It's a terrific watch. very versatile, very wearable.

Agree with others that I'd perhaps look at another GS for my GADA -- particularly the OG case style, but for me they're as much about the dials and casework/ handsets as the movements.

The Speedy MC is an ace choice, solves several of the issues of previous models, is a stone classic and now bang up to date.

Not a fan of the Air King, but that's a personal take. Another classic watch and a solid choice.

Might also look at the IWC pilot line, esp the classic models, and the Santos is certainly another contender, as might be the Breitling pilot line -- quite a few choices there.

FWIW my ranking of your group might therefore be:

• Speedy
  • AT
  • Air King
  • GS

Good luck and enjoy the search!

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughtful input regarding my first world problem.
The feedback was very useful and opened my eyes to some watches not on my radar.
I found the advice regarding strap material and environmental exposure very helpful and funny!
Ironically, I just had confirmation yesterday that the AK was now available to me.
The 32XX movement issue is very concerning. I have read up on this and it’s not clear as to whether it’s been resolved in the latest iterations.
So decision time as the Rolex is available!

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughtful input regarding my first world problem.
The feedback was very useful and opened my eyes to some watches not on my radar.
I found the advice regarding strap material and environmental exposure very helpful and funny!
Ironically, I just had confirmation yesterday that the AK was now available to me.
The 32XX movement issue is very concerning. I have read up on this and it’s not clear as to whether it’s been resolved in the latest iterations.
FWIW, I have the caliber 3230 in my 124060 and it's been flawless over the 2 years that I've worn the watch. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the movement, but YMMV. Good luck and post a photo on whichever watch you choose. 👍

While I, and others, have been burned, at least it was in the 5 year warranty period. And many, many people have no problems.

While I say I wouldn't buy another Rolex with a 32XX movement until I'm certain the issue is sorted, I'm certain I would set aside my reservations if my AD contacted me saying a Pepsi or Batman GMT was available for immediate purchase (and I am on the "interest list" for those two). At this point, those are the only Rolex watches that would tempt me.

If I was going to go with an all-purpose Rolex, I would choose the Explorer over the Air King as I like the classic, simple dial better. But you know your tastes better than me. 😀

Of course the AK is available - it’s an absolute dog that despite what ADs tell you, no one wants.

I truly can’t understand how anyone likes that watch. It was bad enough before, then they stuck crown guards in for good measure.

Of course this is why these threads are of limited value as this is such a subjective decision and what appeals to one person won’t appeal to another. Personally I’d go Speedmaster or Explorer 1 (you’ll be able to get either the 36 or 41mm from an AD without much wait).

I never thought I would say this but of these options my recommendation is the Air King.

IMHO strongly consider the 3861 historical moon watch on bracelet that you and your son can appreciate. The manual wind connects you with the piece. METAS certification. Swimming O.K. Easy to read dial.

Between the 4 you listed, if your comfortable with manual winding then I would get the speedmaster, its a classic and will never age. Otherwise I would get the AT as it has the date function you want.

Down the line I would either get a breitling or a rolex GMT (explorer) if you want something for your son.